Which antiphons to use with scrutinies on a Sunday?
  • GeorgeB
    Hello! I've been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first time posting.

As some background, I play organ and direct the choir for my parish once a month. When I'm directing, we sing the Communion Antiphon from the Graduale Romanum (with English Psalm verses), as well as the Introit and Offertory Antiphons from the Simple English Propers, or sometimes the Lalemant Propers.

The next time I'm directing is for the 4th Sunday of Lent, and we will be doing the scrutinies. Our priest pointed out to me that there is a designated Ritual Mass for the scrutinies, which has different antiphons for the Entrance and Offertory than the Mass of the Sunday. My question is this: which Mass should we use? Do the antiphons for Sunday take precedence over the antiphons for the Ritual Mass, or can the Ritual Mass replace the Sunday texts? Any help would be much appreciated, especially rubric citations.
  • canadashcanadash
    In our parish we use all of the readings/texts proper to the Sunday from Year A for the Scrutinies:
    http://canticanova.com/planning/year-a/pln4la_l.htm
    http://canticanova.com/planning/year-a/pln4la_m.htm
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    www.MusicaSacra.com
    Click banner button "Music PDFs"
    Locate heading "In Latin basic chant resources"
    Gregorian Missal
    Right click and download file (25mb).

When scrutinies occur the Year A chants override others, as noted.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I don't think this is what is usually called a "Ritual Mass". As Eft says, the Year A readings are used for the scrutinies, and as pointed out in Graduale as well as the Gregorian Missal, for the man born blind the communion Lutum Fecit is especially apt (for the Prodigal Son the Offertory Illumina oculos as well as the Comm. Oportet te are appointed; in all cases the Introit would be the same).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GeorgeB
    Thank you all for your replies. I think I may have been a little unclear in my original post. My question was not about whether to use Year A vs. Year B texts. Rather, I was asking about the Mass on p. 643 of the Graduale Romanum, "In scrutiniis peragendis." Under what circumstances would that Mass be used? I suspect that it's intended only for when the scrutinies are done on a weekday, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
    Thanked by 2Richard Mix canadash
  • chonakchonak
    The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults seems pretty flexible about using the designated propers.

I'm looking at a 1975 edition (which may not be the latest); it says at paragraph n. 336 that one or more readings may be taken from a list of passages. So it appears that it would be OK to take some or all of the readings from the regular Sunday Mass texts.

Following the principle of analogy, I infer it would be OK to use either the Sunday antiphons or the antiphons specified for a Ritual Mass of the Scrutinies, or mix and match.

There's my reading of the situation. If anyone knows of specific guidance to the contrary, please share the info with the rest of us.