Wedding but no Mass
  • Looking for suggestions for organ music for a wedding in a church but not a Mass. I'm a little confused. Never done one of these before.
  • The organ music for processionals, preludes, postludes, and such can be the same as for the marriage rite within a mass. The only thing that is different is the absence of any specifically eucharistic music.

For prelude music I typically make little suites out of French baroque organ mass versets; plus Stanley or Boyce or such voluntaries; plus pieces using Veni creator or Komm heiliger Geist as cantus firmi; plus any other organ pieces of a festive nature. Some Bach praeludia are fitting for prelude music or for postludes.
  • fcbfcb
    It's more or less exactly like the first part of Mass, except no Gloria, so you may also be expected to provide music for the Responsorial Psalm/Gospel Acclamation.
  • Um, I'm pretty sure the Gloria IS still sung at a wedding ceremony.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • CharlesW
    It can be sung, but my pastor says it is optional.
  • I'm curious the thought behind including a Gloria when the wedding is celebrated outside of Mass? That's not a viewpoint I've ever encountered before. I don't have the most recent English edition handy, but it certainly isn't called for in the most recent Latin edition, upon which our translation is based. (Which I happen to have close at hand for no good reason.)

Secondary question—are there any liturgical rites aside from the Mass that include a Gloria? I've always thought of that as the one hymn proper to the Mass, and I can't recall seeing it called for in other circumstances.

Marc
  • ajplafond
    Even though it's during Lent?
  • GerardH
    Gary Penkala at CanticaNOVA at least claims that there is no Gloria for a wedding ceremony outside Mass (see the last paragraph). He is usually well researched, so I'd be inclined to trust him.
  • Well, it’s also what the USCCB says... but I know they’re often held in low regard in these parts.
  • CharlesW
    The weddings without mass are extremely rare in my neck of the woods. On the other hand, funerals without mass are becoming quite common. I have no explanation for that.
  • CharlesW
    I'm curious the thought behind including a Gloria when the wedding is celebrated outside of Mass?

I guess it might be like the wedding I played where the bride requested the Litany of the Saints. I suspect the Gloria is being treated as a hymn where requested. It does make a pretty good hymn - better than many available.
  • chonakchonak
    Page 1177 of the Roman Missal says that when Marriage is celebrated at Mass the Gloria in excelsis is said and the Penitential Act is omitted.

• fcbfcb
    I guess it might be like the wedding I played where the bride requested the Litany of the Saints.

I recall hearing that there was some discussion of including the Litany of the Saints in the last revision of the Wedding Rite--presumably to parallel Baptism and Holy Orders. Obviously that did not happen.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    That sticks in my memory, too, Deacon FCB. Some were pushing hard, if I recall, but it didn't make it in.
  • Former pastor of mine:

"When did Christ institute the Sacrament of Marriage?"

[Various guesses]

"No. Our Blessed Lord instituted the Sacrament of Marriage on the Cross, when He said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do".

• The weddings without mass are extremely rare in my neck of the woods. On the other hand, funerals without mass are becoming quite common. I have no explanation for that.

In my experience, having sung a number of Funerals: Grandma is Catholic; the grandkids, maybe not so much. (So far as I know, all funerals in our parish have a Mass, but there are times when Holy Communion is taken by precious few.)

I recently sung a funeral and when the priest said "the Lord be with you" quite a number of the deceased's family responded "and also with you". Hmm. Been a while?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    You do wonder about that. I play for some funerals for the Grandma who was quite devout. The children and grandchildren seem as comfortable as holy rollers at a bar mitzvah. Clearly, they haven't been to church in a while.
    Thanked by 1Carol