Exsultet in Spanish
  • I am looking for a chant version of the Exsultet, preferably round note, in Spanish, the short form, to be sung by a lay cantor.

I have found two versions. One begins with "Exulten por fin los coros de los angeles." The second begins with "Alegrense por fin los coros de los angeles." There are other slight variations in the Spanish lyrics throughout each version.

My Spanish is not good enough to discern the nuances between the texts. What is the difference between these two versions? Is one directly from the current Misal Romano? And the other a Spanish translation of the text from the Roman Missal, 3rd edition?

Liturgically, which is correct for use this year at a trilingual (English, Spanish, Vietnamese) Easter Vigil?

On a related note, with the implementation of the new edition of the Spanish Misal Romano, will current bilingual settings of the Exsultet still be liturgically appropriate, or will the Spanish lyrics be updated?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
  • ronkrisman
    Since the USA's Spanish translation of the Roman Missal has not yet been published and mandated for use in this country, the current and latest approved editions of the Misal Romano published in the various Spanish-speaking countries (Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, etc.) may still be used in the USA until that time.

Spain's Misal Romano has an exsultet translation which begins "Exulten por fin los coros de los ángeles." Mexico's Misal Romano has a translation which begins "Alégrense por fin los coros de los ángeles." Either may legitimately be used at this year's Easter Vigil. In 2019 the version of the exsutet in the USA's Misal Romano (whatever that may be) will be the only approved version for this country.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The Exultet in the new (forthcoming) Missal begins "Alégrense, por fin, los coros de los ángeles, alégrense las jerarquías del cielo y, por la victoria de rey tan poderoso, que las trompetas anuncien la salvación."
  • ronkrisman
    Thanks, Marc. Since the USCCB's Liturgy Secretariat has stated publicly that the USA's translation of the Misal Romano is based on the translation from Mexico, I had assumed that the exsultet would begin, as Mexico's does, with "Alégrense." Thank you for confirming that.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thank you all for the clarification. Just what I needed!