Offertoriale Triplex
  • Pes
    I was pleased to receive a copy of the Offertoriale Triplex (Solesmes, 1985) in this morning's mail. I had long been puzzled by descriptions of it.

Descriptions of it online say that it prints the offertory propers for the Mass (with earlier neumes above and below) but that unlike the Graduale, it also includes verses. "Great," I thought, "we'll have all the verses already pointed to psalm tones in the proper mode."

Well, not exactly. It turns out that the versicles included are rather elaborate and melismatic melodies in their own right, and the ones I've sung through are quite beautiful. Moreover, though each verse may repeat some motifs, not all verse melodies for a given antiphon are the same.

Later, I'll type here the short preface to the OT in English.

This is a fascinating little book (196 pp), and rather expensive (~$40 USD). I know that the Offertory is often the time for a polyphonic motet, but this Offertoriale is much more than the Graduale's offertory propers with the busy work done for you. I'd look forward to reading any discussion about it.

UPDATE:

I should say that Peter Wilton's site does say this: "Offertories generally consist of a respond with several ornate, soloistic verses." They certainly do! These verses would be a perfect time to let the more skillful singers in a choir or schola step up and sing their hearts out.
  • I'd be delighted if anyone had taken the verses out of the Offertoriale and set them to psalm tones, in the same way as has been done with the Communio. This would be quite useful in a Parish context, where the elaborate melodies of the Offertoriale could be too difficult.
  • Pes:

At the two EF weddings for which I had the privilege of singing the chant (solo, to answer your question here) I broke out the Offertoriale (unannounced) and sung the antiphon, one versicle of the Offertory, followed by the concluding half of the antiphon (as indicated). The choir followed with a motet both times.

The melodies contained in the Offertoriale are tours de force - why ought they not be, since they serve as the musical offering - and singing them requires a real fluency with at least the square notation (semiologists will benefit from the other included neumes). But the effect is mesmerizing to this singer; I can hope it has a similar effect on the listener.

Regarding Palestrina's comment about psalm-tone adaptations of the verses, I remember listening to an FSSP chant recording that utilized that exact solution. I don't know, however, if a hard-copy of what they used is floating around the Internet or anywhere else for that matter. Richard? :)
  • Any chance of an edition of the Offertoriale being uploaded to MusicaSacra?
  • For those unfamiliar with the Offertoriale, a Holger Peter Sandhofe has digitized the Offertories from Advent I to Christmas Day on his site (PDF format).
  • Jan
    Thanks for the posting.
  • I'm curious about Wilton's statement that the verses have in recent times come back into use. Could someone elaborate on this? I have been wondering about the use of additional verses for the Communion, but now there are verses for the Offertory, and I'm guessing the Introit, as well. I know that this was the medieval practice, but when did the multiple verses reappear?
  • Pes
    Michael, good question.

Dom Cardine marked up his own copy of the Graduale (a Solesmes edition of the Vatican Graduale) with neumes from the St. Gall manuscripts; this marked-up copy (1966) was called the Graduel neumé. Its successor, the Graduale Triplex (1974), followed Cardine, taking another Graduale (the 1974) and adding the neumes from St. Gall and Laon 239 above and below, respectively. This approach inspired Rupert Fischer to do the same with Karl Ott's Offertoriale (Desclée, 1935). Ott's work included verses. Fischer reprinted this work first in 1978, and then revised and reprinted it as the Offertoriale Triplex with Solesmes in 1985. I'd like to see Ott's introduction -- maybe it would give some clue about verse selection.

Hiley has things to say. In his Plainchant, we read (pp. 121-30) that the long verses of the offertory "were sung in the early Middle Ages, but ... fell out of use in the twelfth to thirteenth centuries." They thus "do not form part of the modern Roman liturgy and were consequently not included in such books as the Graduale Romanum and the Liber usualis." Hiley's discussion goes on to examine the melodic nature of these things in some detail, so have a look. Here's how he characterizes them as a whole:

These are purely musical outpourings, where attention to the text is suspended and sheer joy in singing seems to take over, ecstatic and improvisatory (at least when compared to the repetitious schemes found, for example, in many alleluias). It remains unclear, nevertheless, what occasioned the composition of these glorious melodies. They are not assigned regularly to the high feasts of the church year. The contrast with that other great musical high point of mass, the sequence, could not be more pointed.

Perhaps some singers were so virtuosic that literate musicians wrote down their improvisations. Hiley notes that the texts are psalm verses -- perhaps the texts were so well-known that singers simply improvised them. So what we have left, in the Offertoriale is a relatively faint echo of a creative explosion of improvised tenth-century Frankish chant.
  • Yesterday at the later Solemn High EF Mass I directed for the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, a fellow cantor and I sang all the verses of Protege, Domine as found in the Offertoriale Triplex.

It's really something to start learning these flights of musical ecstasy and allow oneself to absorb the meaning of the words.

Practically speaking, the celebrant only had to wait 15 seconds for us to finish before proceeding with the "per omnia saecula saeculorum". (To be fair, I did ask him and the others to take their time, and the other cantor and I were taking it at a brisk, but not breakneck, tempo.)

No doubt that singing all the verses as found in this book would be impractical at a simple Missa Cantata.
  • Does the offertoriale triplex contain the proper offertories as found in the grad. Rom. in addition to the versicles, or does one need to switch back and forth between books?
  • incantuincantu
    The OT has the antiphons in four-line square-note notation as well as the neums from Laon and Einsiedeln (where available) above and below the staff.
  • If you require the Solesmes markings, you will need to switch back and forth between books; the OT does not contain dots, icti or episemae of any kind.

Here's the post on my blog that highlights the occasion.
  • At the risk of being redundant, note that the offertory verses have been set to psalm tones by Richard Rice and posted here on musica sacra.

http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/offertoryverses.pdf
  • To reiterate the query made over a year and a half ago on this thread, what are the possibilities for the Offertoriale Triplex being offered as a pdf here? There are a number of situations in which these verses would be much more practical than a motet or hymn after the antiphon.
  • dvalerio
    > what are the possibilities for the Offertoriale Triplex being offered as a pdf here?

That would be a very fine thing! (Meanwhile, we can still use the academic corrected versions of the Offertories with verses available at Gregor und Taube.)
  • Thanks for the link - I wasn't aware of this resource!