teaching chant to adult choristers
  • My choir director and I have it in mind to teach more chant to our parish choir, or some subset of it, with the hope of being able, eventually, to form a solid schola to sing the propers in the place of a soloist (which is how they are normally done now in our parish). I've been thinking about how to approach it.

As a little background, the choir is mostly volunteer, quite strong with traditional polyphonic music, and they hear chant every Sunday; but they have sung very little of it apart from the second half of the 'Gloria Patri' in various modes.

My idea (after teaching very basic introductory material) is to start with what Dom Saulnier calls the 'archaic modes', sticking to chants that do not depart from them, and drawing everybody's attention to the common motifs that survive into later chants (I think Saulnier calls them 'characteristic figures').

I'm not interested in whether Saulnier's analysis is historically accurate. (Well, I am interested, but my present concern is entirely pedagogical.)

Thoughts? Alternatives? Warnings? Exclamations?
  • Are you currently having the soloist do full propers each Mass? If not, is one particular component always done in full tone (like the Introit, say)? What if you started with a particular chant each week - the Introit might be a choice - the group is familiar with the Gloria Patri; it allows you to discuss psalm-tone as well as proper-tone; it is typically one of the easier chants. An alternative might be the Communion verse... you could provide a psalm (only a verse or two) and use it antiphonally. Typically shorter, but not without some challenges throughout the year.

I find great advantage to incorporating sol-fege as a means of teaching chant... it allows you to cover a lot of different concepts (at different times through the year) around chant theory, including modality.

Regardless of your approach in terms of which propers or 'archaic modes', I find that there is always benefit to drawing attention to motifs and also to cross-references as they occur (for example, where else have we heard this line; where else do we sing this particular chant found in our season; where have we seen this text before; etc.. Obviously not everything all the time, but as it fits time-wise and pedagogically into what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanked by 1MichaelDickson
  • Thanks for those thoughts. That's helpful.

To answer your question: Cantor does introit, offertory, alleluia, and communion. Depending on the cantor more or fewer of these are from the Simple English Propers, the rest (and always the Introit) being from the Graduale Romanum. We don't do the gradual (resp. psalm instead). Choir sings the second part of the Gloria Patri and occasionally does verses as well, especially for communion. They aren't really reading the chant -- they are just learning the melodies by rote (which is fine).
  • a_f_hawkins
    Commenting as an untrained amateur singer, I find that the termination of a psalm tone is the key to understanding it. So if your choir has familiarity with the second half of the Gloria Patri, what they need is to relate that memory to the appearence on paper. And thus to sol-fege ... . Note that many, at least in England, are frightened by grammatical terms, even verb and noun, let alone adverbial clauses. Jargon/theory is mainly for communication among experts, and is seen by others as obfuscation.
  • Thanks -- I agree about the importance of having the termination in mind, including for my own singing. I hadn't thought to emphasize specifically that to them, so your remark is helpful.

To clarify one thing: I'm not proposing to introduce theory to them, but only to start with chants that most closely reflect the so-called archaic modes. They are typically simpler, which helps, but really the idea is that they introduce one to very common 'characteristic figures', the recognition of which (even if non-theoretical and implicit) could be helpful when one is tackling more ornamental chants.
  • I'm curious... if you were introducing polyphony or even hymns to a group that is unaccustomed to singing modern notation, wouldn't you think that a certain amount of theory would be beneficial? You wouldn't teach a course on theory of course, but wouldn't you would find ways to make points about different points of theory - if only to help ensure that learning new repertoire is easier each time?

Pedagogical (to me) wouldn't merely imply learning notes or phrases... just a thought.
  • I'm just feeling my way here.

I suppose, in some sense of 'theory', yes, it would be difficult not to do so. One at least needs a common language, or how do we even convey anything about the piece and how to approach it?

I'm really relying on my own experience here, which is not enough, which is why I'm asking. Beyond a basic 'linguistic' competence in speaking about (more often, hearing instructions about) music, I was not myself taught much theory until I was in college. I knew the difference between 'major' and 'minor', and I knew how to describe intervals and rhythms. Not much more than that. By the time I got to college, I was a decent pianist and an accomplished (for a 17-year-old) horn player. Then I took courses in theory, and it all made sense very quickly, I think because I could immediately relate the technical theory to my experience as an instrumentalist. In my case, at least, the technical, theoretical, understanding followed the practical experience, not vice versa.

On the other hand, I am quite certain that my teachers knew the theory well, and that their knowledge lay behind at least some aspects of their approach to teaching me to play. I'm fumbling to simulate what they did, in the context of chant.
  • dad29
    errrrrmmm.....are you over-thinking this a bit? If your objective is to get your singers to render Chant Introits, Communios, (etc.) then why not just work through the music as you do with polyphonic stuff, and stop once in a while to tell them about one motif or another, or how the composer realized this particular word.......(etc.)

I agree with your overall objective, which is to make them into (better) musicians thus, better singers. But your cantor may well have aged-out of his singing unless you get to the practicalities right quick!
  • Use your rehearsal time to SING, not have a theory lesson. Don't trouble your singers about the modes. If some of them are interested in learning more, make some reading recommendations or invite them to stay for a few minutes after rehearsal. I doubt you approach a piece of "modern" music in a minor key in a fundamentally different way than a similar piece in a major key, so why make a fuss about making sure your choir has a deep understanding of modal theory? It's relatively unimportant as far as giving a convincing performance is concerned.

Much more important: decide whether you're going to use an "old Solesmes" or semiological approach, what book(s) you're going to use, or how to mark up handouts if you're making photocopies instead.

I look back with regret over how much time I essentially wasted in the past by making my schola count twos and threes so they would grasp the concept of the placement of the ictus. Church choir rehearsals are not the place for theoretical lectures and exercises.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • I'm afraid we must agree to disagree, MO. Part of our goal should be the musical growth and development of those who will lead liturgical music down the road - if we truly believe that what we do is more than simply the performance in the now. Certainly this is not all the time in every practice, but here and there as appropriate.

No, I wouldn't waste time counting 2's and 3's in chant - because (in my opinion) there is no value to that... but I absolutely have my choir count-sing polyphony; sol-fege in both chant and polyphony; discuss how we transition pitch seamlessly from Gradual to Alleluia; how we can handle transposition of chant; how to build psalm-tone on Propers; etc.. At the very least, it helps make the group become more and more functionally independent - and more importantly it assists in learning material and repertoire more quickly; it makes them more confident as musicians.

This is not a waste of time. Choir members should be able to understand the basics of theory (both chant and modern) to enable them to read more and more fluently; to become better and better musicians.

I'm very jealous of my practice time - and we work hard to get through our repertoire... so I'm not talking over the top, painful instruction. I'm talking about periodically taking some time to talk through things that help ensure the continued growth and development of the group.
  • Carol
    As a teacher who can sings well, but NOT a properly trained musician, I would agree with all of the above comments. Just remember that individuals learn in different ways and so some singers will benefit and understand one type of explanation and others may not. What is most interesting is that some will not understand at this time, but may grasp the same explanation in the future when you come back to it. Most of a choir rehearsal should be spent singing, of course.
  • Thanks for the debate. I appreciate the opportunity it presents to help me think about this process.

I've had the pleasure of learning chant from some excellent teachers, including at some CMAA events, but by the time I was learning from them I was in the 'advanced' group. I guess what I'm asking is: What happens in the 'beginner' group, and what is informing the approach taken there? Of course, I also recognize the difference between a week-long intensive program and what we will be doing (relatively brief rehearsal, weekly).

To address a couple of comments or questions above. (1) My initial attempts (self-taught) at chant were a struggle because I tried to understand everything that I was hearing and reading in terms of what I already knew -- modern, western, classical music. I wish that I had, initially, had a more systematic (as opposed to uninformed and random) exposure to the tonality of chant that would have, more quickly, allowed me to think in its terms. There's a reason that we practice scales and arpeggios and the like endlessly as musicians -- it is partly to achieve technical proficiency but also to establish the tonality of western classical music into our heads. I'm looking for a way to accomplish that same goal in chant (but also, in line with what one person said, sing actual chants -- I wouldn't get away with having them sing 'Agnus Dei' up and down all the modes for very long).

(2) Again, my intention (insofar as I have any intentions yet - I'm still trying to think through this process) is not to teach theory. Sing we shall, not talk. (I do agree with injecting an observation here and there.) The question is "how does theory inform my approach to teaching?" rather than "how do I get them to learn how to sing via teaching them theory?"

Thanks again -- very helpful discussion and I'm happy to hear more if people have the energy for it.
  • I've tried various methods over the years in teaching my choir to read/sing the square notes and never think that my time is wasted in singing the solfege and counting 2's and 3's. For some of my singers, the solfege is still hard for them to manage, yet they can get the 2's and 3's with no problem. When I am teaching them a new proper, I think it is helpful to work only on the notes and rhythm before adding in the Latin text, so these two things really do help. I do also try to make YouTube vids and recordings when we are learning a new proper, too, so that they can get the melodies in their heads at home... and I am for telling them that what they are doing is really a heroic effort since they don't have a lot of others in the choir who already know this stuff to lean on...

Since I tend to use Solesmes with my choir, I find it helpful for them to know about the rhythmic groupings so that they have a sense of my direction and how the phrases will move. The proper chants I provide are typically enlarged and have all my rhythmic markings on them in advance to save time during rehearsal.

All that being said... when I first began working with them about 5 1/2 years ago, things went much more slowly... it took a very long time to learn even very simple chant hymns and prayers... perhaps starting with something simple like the Anima Christi or the chanted Ave Maria or Adoro te would help. Using very simple chants to teach the basics of the theory can be very good.
  • I should clarify that I'm not at all opposed to counting or the use of solfege during rehearsal, but it should be applied as needed, not to practically every new piece as a matter of course. I know of no more effective method of correcting rhythmic mistakes than count-singing, but no choir needs to utilize it for a straightforward four-part chorale harmonization, for example. Singing scales is important in private voice lessons... not so much in choir. They should know where do and fa are (and that there's always a clef at one of those!) so they recognize the half-step intervals, but they don't need to know the ambitus, final, and reciting tone of each mode to sing the Proper of the Mass. As choirmaster, singer, organist, I don't approach a minor piece in a fundamentally different way than a major piece, nor do I approach a mode 2 chant in a different manner than one in mode 7. My point is that modality is an aspect of theory and composition that is practically irrelevant to performance.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Might I suggest an approach that worked with my polyphonic choir and my (gasp) contemporary ensemble when I was working: use as a vehicle the "Simple English Propers." In no time they'll all feel competent with modality as well as the basic neumes, so much so that graduating up doesn't feel like scaling Everest. Bartlett's genius and Ostrowski's YouTube models are made for this sort of concern.
  • Since the pdf for the book is available for download, you can give it a try before any cash outlay for books, too... just sayin'.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • melofluent: Thanks for that thought. Our cantors sing a mix of the SEP and the Gregorian propers, so the choir has heard them (SEP) quite a bit (but would, I predict, initially struggle to sing them themselves, which is fine).

madorganist: I agree, I think. My goal is for them to hear those things (for which theorists have 'terms') clearly and, initially at least, without much ornamentation. Such was the thought behind using 'more archaic' chants, although of course SEP also fits that bill -- but we do want to expose them to more Latin fairly early in this process.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • PaxTecum
    We've been using SEP Entrance and Communion antiphons for about 6 months now with the choir (before I was doing them alone) and in the beginning it was a real struggle. Now, 6 months in, they are starting to get used to the antiphons (there are only a few melodies that are repurposed a lot). Additionally, I have stared to introduce Richard Rice's offertory antiphons which are more difficult - and they are doing a good job.

I approached this by just giving it to them. I sing the incipit and we go through it one time by sight reading. Sometime's it's good and sometimes it's a disaster. Then we go through the trouble spots with solfegge and repeat them a few times. Then usually they have it down. This has tremendously improved the speed that they learn other music. This year we are singing many new pieces for holy week (Victoria:O My People in english from OCP; Bruckner: Pange Lingua; Victoria: Hosanna Filio David; Tallis - If Ye Love Me) - to name a few. There are more.) and they are picking it up very quickly like never before.

I am a firm believer that a basis in chant (even a few months) quickly makes your singers better musicians (as far as recognizing pitch relativity and symbols, etc). Getting the right sound is another beast entirely. But slowly but surely we are getting there.
  • PaxTecum
    I forgot to mention that in the same time period I have also introduced chanted responsorial psalms. We use the Respond & Acclaim SATB "responses" coupled with a gregorian psalm tone for the psalm verses. It works quite well. I also believe this has helped a lot with reading & musicality.
  • Settefrati93: Thanks. Overall choral improvement is one reason, I think, that our MD wants to do this, and it is good to hear supporting anecdotes. (Also, she is very enthusiastic about chant, which is great.)

(Just chit-chatting:) The Tallis is a regular for us. This Lent we are also doing some Bruckner. Christus Factus Est is a new one for us, and it is not easy! The modulations are challenging but the choir last night finally seemed to get it. For some reason, the choir picked up more quickly on Vexilla Regis (our other Bruckner for the season).
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I think the biggest mistake being made by all is to assume that choir members can actually read music. It has been my experience (limited as it is), that maybe 5% of choir members can read music. But, YMMV
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • It's an important reminder, but just for the record, I'm not assuming it at all! We're doing better than 5%, but it still cannot be assumed. (In our choir about 1/4 basically does not read -- though they probably know 'every good boy does fine' -- about 1/2 makes some rough association between what they are singing and what they see, and about 1/4 read very well.)
  • gregorian chant is folk music,so....someone who can sing in tune with others, by hearing it and singing along, can sing it. Without any theory talk, or even looking at neums if someone is conducting and there is a lead singer (or preferably 2 lead singers to reduce grandiosity).
    I prefer the neums writ large so that everyone can stand up straight and sing out.