Pitch for Ave Regina Caelorum
  • G
    If making a recording for learning purposes, on what pitch would you start the simple tone Ave Regina Coelorum?
    Those listening will be non-singers, ranging from children thru late middle age.
    Thanks for any advice.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • That really depends on who is singing (if it is sung). Pitch is determined by the group... I would likely pitch it lower as a bass than some might pitch it as tenors or soprani.

The notation isn't intended to convey absolute pitch in the sense that it can be very easily transposed to a key that is comfortable for the singers... but the pitch is written to start at an F (below middle C). In that key, the range would be from low C to the D above middle C.

Does that help?
  • Liam
    F, E or Eb. It has a compass of a ninth. The demographically most common voice range for women is that of an untrained mezzo, and for men of an untrained baritone (true sopranos, altos, tenors and basses are comparative outliers - ignore the ranges for those voices for pitching to the people at large unless you have an unusual demographic for a Catholic congregation....). So keeping the compass between Bb below middle C and the D a tenth above that seems prudent.
    Thanked by 3G MarkS janetgorbitz
  • G
    Does that help?

No, not really, Incardination, but thanks any way.;o)
    My previous parish, I tended to pitch chant low because of the age of the congregation, the early hour of the Mass, and the strong, low voice of a latinphobic pastor.
    I just wondered since I don't know this group what the most likely appropriate pitch, with its wide age range.
    My problem was that I have discovered when working with children's groups (on accompanied music in theatr,) that the strongest singers (who haven't necessatily sung before, being children,) often have remarkable pitch memory.
    If I want to change a key later to accomodate more of the group it can be a real struggle getting the better singers to sing in the new key the piano is playing.
    Thanks, Liam. F seemed to me to be right, but for the reasons above, I don't want to put the sound out there and get it in people's heads and then change it.
    ignore those voices for pitching to the people at large unless you have an unusual demographic for a Catholic congregation

At a Slovak parish I was astounded at the number of genuine basses in the congregation.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

• I would say that the presence of the children's voices could throw a wrench into things. I'm teaching middle school children (6th-8th grade) chant and find that I must remain vigilant about proper pitching for them lest I stretch their voices to unhelpful or even damaging ranges.
  • At a Slovak parish I was astounded at the number of genuine basses in the congregation.

I wouldn't be. Eastern European countries grow basses like corn in Kansas or rhubarb on baseball bleachers.
    Thanked by 2Carol G
  • E, F, or I would even say Gb could work well.