Ordination and Installation of 12th Bishop of Nashville, TN
  • YEE HAW FOLKS or should I have said, HEE HAW, its party time in musak city. Did you watch this event on EWTN? Since I can't say anything charitable about the musak, I'll try to keep my mouth shut.
  • RevAMG
    Anyone have a PDF of the worship aid/leaflet or program?
  • kevinfkevinf
    I am surprised that it was not worse than it was. Knowing the parties involved, it could have been much, much worse. And for the record, do not expect the new Bishop to be a liturgical leader. In fact, I would be surprised if there will be any kind of liturgy office. Its that 80's and 90's saccharine liturgy.
    Thanked by 1Settefrati93
  • I know the area and those dioceses well. Extreme saccharine is precisely correct coupled with liturgical new age progressivism and an extreme ignorance in sacred music and arts. I once long ago work for a particular school in Kentucky and the school's principal taught that literally everything in the bible was a myth. I witnessed first hand, many fine well educated classically trained church musician sabotaged by leaders in diocesan liturgy and music offices. HEE HAWism is very much alive and well there.
  • One thing I like about the Order of Service - no 'readings' : Lesson, Psalm, Lesson, Holy Gospel; all proclaimed. The use of the words 'readings' and 'readers' serves, IMHO, to flatten liturgy.
  • music123
    The new Bishop of Nashville was actually my pastor for a year and a half when I started my current position. Though we did not always agree on everything, I do believe that, overall, he has pretty good taste in liturgy, and the selections for the Ordination Mass seem to be reflective of that. I think the people of Nashville are in good hands.

Ken, I am not sure where you were, but I do not believe what you witnessed to be true everywhere in the diocese. My current situation, for example, is a good one. At least, I hope that things here are getting better now.
  • My main areas were the Archdiocese of Louisville, Covington and Owensboro with oversight in Nashville, Knoxville and Memphis. This was long ago in the 70's.
  • ghmus7
    Yes, It could have been much worse. There is Mozart, and some good hymns.
    The new hymn however, is pretty awful imo.
  • francisfrancis
    It's worse
  • CharlesW
    I stick to Knoxville and rarely go to Nashville, so I missed this one. I am not even going to the Knoxville cathedral dedication in March. It's flu season and I can't take the shots although I hear they are pretty worthless this year. It will be too crowded. See what happens as you get old. You don't want to bother with it. Humbug!
  • I'll just say that from the program, it's very sad.
  • Could we place a moratorium on the Holst, please? I know in my diocese the tendency is to program that for the beginning of any pontifical mass.
  • Every hymn-text that I've sung to Thaxted feels utterly crammed into it, and I get no jollity at all from the effort, I'm afraid.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Carol
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Charles, I'm participating in the vespers for the Cathedral dedication. I'm going back home, afterwards, though. So I won't be there for the Dedication Mass, either.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Some of my folks will be participating. I am sure it will be quite nice, but it's better that I stay away from crowds as much as possible.
  • francisfrancis
    What is the obsession with Thaxted the last few years? I don't get it.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Every hymn-text that I've sung to Thaxted feels utterly crammed into it ...
    Exactly. And near the end, I cannot escape the (awkward? strange? uneasy?) feeling that an orchestra will break out in that "Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity" orchestral music in which "Thaxted" is embedded ... to be followed by "Saturn, The Bringer of Old Age" which at my age isn't what I want my mind drifting to when singing such hymns.
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab Carol
  • CharlesW
    IMHO, I don't understand the spectacle mentality that seems to take over the minds of directing musicians at these events. Just what do they think they are trying to accomplish, put on a show? I wonder if those "awkward" moments that occur come from not understanding where they are going.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Carol
  • If they really want spectacle they should start with "Mars, the Bringer of War". The mind boggles what a procession to THAT would look like!
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • kevinfkevinf
    Though we did not always agree on everything, I do believe that, overall, he has pretty good taste in liturgy, and the selections for the Ordination Mass seem to be reflective of that. I think the people of Nashville are in good hands

Lets be honest, these choices reflect a horrible sense of things. This is the selling out of liturgy for a warm fuzzy "Hi God" approach that makes people feel good about themselves and what they are doing. The balkanization of tradition for sweet little tunes ( the Missa My little Pony, for instance) reflects a poor sense of reverence, implicit bad formation and general lack of understanding of tradition.

And for the record, the new Bishop of Nashville's parish in Louisville reflected the same saccharine musical stuff seen in this liturgy. No, this is not good. But it could have been much worse. And the Nashville diocese will not grow liturgically under this bishop. Only those few elements already in place will flourish but the diocese as a whole will not grow. Salvum fac populum Domine.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW

Welcome to the MusicaSacra Forum!

To participate in the discussions on Catholic church music, sign in or register as a forum member, The forum is a project of the Church Music Association of America.