Antiphon verses for the Washing of Feet
  • My parish just switched to the Ignatius Pew Missal this year and we are on our way back to a more traditional mass as a whole. In these efforts, the choir will be singing the Antiphons for the Washing of Feet this year. My question is this; are the verses necessary? They seem to reflect, if not repeat, the text of the Antiphons themselves. Is it acceptable to omit the verses for time's sake? I do not wish to do this, but as the parish is slowly moving back to tradition (especially musically speaking) and starting to use more chant (in years past, we have sung River of Glory instead of the antiphons), I am trying to make this shift as seamless as possible. Thanks in advance!
  • a_f_hawkins
    Surely the music the Church suggests here are choices, there to accompany the action. So it should be used selectively and not dragged out beyond the action. You do not have to use all the antiphons, or all the verses. Similarly to the processionals, the verses are used pro opportunitate, the amount of singing matches the length of the procession.
    Thanked by 2willschill canadash