Hymn Writing Suggestion for Our Lady of Holy Hope
  • I need hymn-writing help. I'm commissioning a local artist to write the music for an English hymn in honor of Our Lady of Holy Hope - the Patroness of our TLM Community.

There's only one problem. As far as I know, there are no English texts of hymnody dedicated to OLHH. Oops.

So I'm going to attempt the preposterous and write the hymn text myself. Does anyone have suggestion of where to look for inspiration to write:

A) For hymnody in general, and
    B) For Our Lady under this title in particular? (Unfortunately, the material I gathered from Fr. Emmanuel Andre and Pontmain is rather skanty.)

Kathy Pluth. Adam Wood. You two in particular I summon forth!
  • [musing; ruminating]

Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our Life, our Sweetness and Our Hope

I'm not familiar with the devotion to Our Lady of Holy Hope, but if I were in your situation, I would ask my pastor for information about the devotion, and use that as the basis for a hymn-writing project.

Admittedly not the same thing, but I 've followed the procedure I just mentioned when it comes to writing prayers for novena -- when I found no even remotely appropriate prayers. I learned about the saint in question, and crafted the prayer (which is not the same thing as pre-fabbing the prayer in the mode of many "General Intercessions") around what I learned.

Some years ago I wrote a hymn text after Pope John Paul penned his encyclical on the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary. If you're interested, I can try to find and post that text here. If you're interested in the prayers I mentioned, send me independent mail.

• a_f_hawkins
    My emphasis:
    Father André commented, “For Christian behavior to be reestablished, true notions of Christianity must first be reestablished in people’s minds. ... The work of Our Lady of Holy Hope in Mesnil-Saint-Loup was simply to reestablish Christianity among the baptized. Here as elsewhere, almost everything had been invaded by a cold and base naturalism that does not allow man to elevate his thoughts above his feelings. … All the Christian virtues were unknown, replaced by an easy and universal virtue the world calls honesty."
    Plus ça change!
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • You know, it's a shame that the work of Fr. Andre isn't better known in this country, Mr. Hawkins. Otherwise I think this common notion of French spirituality being 'sentimental' would be shown up. (I can think of quite a few other countrymen of his who didn't fall into this mold, but I digress.)
  • CGM
    There is a novena to Our Lady of Hope, which EWTN has online here. You could mine this language for your hymn-crafting.

In addition, Mary herself gave a message of hope, archived by EWTN here. While the apparition was taking place, the people gathered sang the hymn, "Gentle Jesus, Pardon now our penitent hearts..." which I'd assume is a French hymn (though I may be mistaken about that). Worth investigating.

One option might be, particularly if you're thinking about an entrance hymn, some sort of rhymed history of the devotion and the confraternity. There's a good summary here.

In that document, it says that various members of the confraternity of Perpetual Prayer would choose separate hours to pray, so that there would be at least one member praying on the hour of every hour. Their prayer consisted of a "Hail Mary," preceded and followed by the invocation, "Our Lady of Holy Hope, convert us!" That invocation you should almost definitely include, and perhaps the whole text of the "Hail Mary" as well.

More from the article: quoth Fr. André, "Here is the true explanation for the pilgrimage to Our Lady of Holy Hope. How many souls who are thirsting for God’s grace, for consolations from Heaven, come here believing to find a spring. And of all those who have come here, not one has ever said: I was deceived. Yes, there is a spring in Our Lady of Holy Hope, in her whom the Church calls Mater, fons amoris: Mary is Mother, Mother and Spring of Love.” The narrator continues: "Mary reveals herself as the all-powerful converter, the Queen of hearts."

More reading material here, here, and here. (Thanks, Google!)

Good luck!
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • chonakchonak
    A new tune *and* a new text is asking a lot of the congregation.

Is there any chance you might find an existing tune (perhaps of French origin) that might be suitable?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Chonak,

The tune should be from 19th century Russia. Hmm.. Moscow (also known as God Save the Czar) would be appropriate. [immediately runs for cover]
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Does anyone have suggestion of where to look for inspiration to write:

A) For hymnody in general

Read lots of good hymn texts.
  • Adam. Please recommend what you consider to be a trustworthy source "good hymn texts". I tend to go by the Methodist Hymnal (sans the obviously trite) but do enlighten me, oh Thou of Greater POETIC SENSIBILITIES
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I would have a look through a collection of hymnals dating from around 1850 to 1950. These hymnals are the best source for devotional text and effective melodies. https://www.ccwatershed.org/projects/
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    > a trustworthy source "good hymn texts"

The English Hymnal 1906
    or, if you find that hard to find
    The Hymnal 1940 (of the Episcopal Church)
    and the Hymnal 1982 (also of the Episcopal Church).

The 1982 made some changes to some of the texts. Some for the better, others not so much.

One thing I find enlightening is to read several revisions of hymns --- which words got changed over time, which verses get left out of hymnals. Some of these changes make the text better, some worse.

If you have a text you like, go find the original version (often very enlightening). We're all aware of so-called "PC" redactions. But often, hymn texts changed early in their life, from obscurely poetical to direct and singable. Sometimes the rough or weird edges get worn off --- and sometimes this is a good thing, but sometimes it drains all the life and uniqueness out.

Thinking through all this helps you develop your own sense of good style, and your editorial sense. And you should definitely edit your own hymn texts.

Also, read good poetry.

What is good poetry? Poetry that you like.

I specifically recommend Longfellow and Madeleine L'Engle.
  • I specifically recommend Longfellow

Love Longfellow! I have an illustrated quotation from Psalm of Life hanging in my kitchen. :D

and Madeleine L'Engle

Didn't know she was a poet! Did know she was a church choir director.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >> Madeleine L'Engle
    > Didn't know she was a poet!

Yeah, a really good one. I especially like her because, and you might expect, she bridges the gap between classic and contemporary English poetry. She has some (good) free verse, but also well-formed odes and sonnets, metrical texts. She has many poems in the voice of various Biblical characters, and also many that contemplate various liturgical feasts or sacramental occasions. Most of it is too internal and personal to qualify as good hymnody, but as poetry it is all very good.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Carol