Academic Regalia
  • I know that the use of academic regalia during the singing of the divine office is practiced in many communities, mine included, but I was surprised to see the attached image of a Schola after singing a pontifical low mass with Cdl. Burke. The directors have their hoods on.

Is there a precedent for wearing an academic hood during Mass?
    1600 x 1200 - 297K
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Moderntrad,

I'm missing something. I've never seen it done otherwise, among people who have choirs in cassock and surplice.... but then those occasions are few and far between. It never occurred to me to think it strange.
  • I've just never seen hoods worn during mass. I know that the precedent was there for the Office. I was perhaps looking for any sort of norm on the matter, if any exist.
  • WGS
    I must say that I have enjoyed displaying my Papal colors (yellow and white) along with the scarlet when singing mattins or evensong with the Episcopalians or Anglicans. It seems that the Ordinariate (at least in the U.S.) has maintained the tradition of wearing the academic hood for singing the office. - but never for the Eucharist!
    Thanked by 2moderntrad CCooze
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Is that Atonement in San Antonio? Whichever parish it is -- beautiful!

...now just get rid of that carpet!
  • The Church pictured is the Church of St. Anthony-St. Mary in Kansas City, KS
  • Academic hoods may be worn for the office, not for the mass. This is Anglican custom and may or may not have wider use.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I have seen a hood worn at Mass by more than one DM at St George's Cathedral Southwark.
  • a_f_hawkins
    somewhat related question: My father had a biretta with only one peak from his time in Junior Seminary. Would that have been peculiar to St Edmunds, Ware? I have never seen any allusion to such a style anywhere.
  • Liam
    Thanked by 1Carol