I'm playing my first Mass in two weeks!
  • I have been playing the organ for about a year now, and my pastor asked me to play for Mass because he loves the organ. He's so great; I got to choose the music and he gave me as much time as I needed to practice. I have a plan, too, to slowly introduced more musically complex music to the congregation and choir by starting off with a simple organ Mass setting with English singing, then a mass setting with Latin singing, and eventually I will introduce more Romantic/modernist music with Vierne Messe Solennelle. Then, finally on Pentacost I will bring out the big guns; Messiaen Pentacost Mass. I will clip some sections that are too experimental, and manipulate the registration to make it more accessible.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I have been playing the organ for about a year now,

According to your posting history, it looks like you've actually been playing about two years given that you'd been playing for 3 months in April of 2016.

Time flies.
  • Organist Jack,

I think you mean "modern", not "modernist".
  • Carol
    Organist Jack, congratulations and God bless you for using your talent in this way. Your excitement and enthusiasm are lovely!
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • You have been playing the organ for about a year and you are going to play Messiaen's Pentecost? That is rather a good one year's accomplishment. You must be a fast learner.
    Congratulations on your accomplishment. And on your priest!
    Thanked by 2Incardination Carol