Outdated Indulgences?
  • When Vatican II reformed the list of possible indulgences, did it render the old ones obsolete?
  • CharlesW
    I wondered about that, too. Of course, we easterners kind of think indulgences are a bit weird to begin with.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Yes, Indulgentiarum Doctrina (January 1, 1967) says
    The revisions mentioned in n. 14 and n. 15 must be submitted to the Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary within a year. Two years after the date of this constitution, indulgences which have not been confirmed will become null and void.
    The last Enchiridion Indulgentiarum seems to be 1999, in Latin, the Handbook of Indulgences in English is older. There is also a steady stream of 'special offers' from the Apostolic Penitentiary in connection with particular events.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • ronkrisman
    And the revisions in nos. 14 and 15 of Indulgentiarum Doctrina are:
    n. 14—The lists and summaries of indulgences special to religious orders, congregations, societies of those living in community without vows, secular institutes and the pious associations of faithful are to be revised as soon as possible in such a way that plenary indulgences may be acquired only on particular days established by the Holy See acting on the recommendation of the Superior General, or in the case of pious associations, of the local Ordinary.

n. 15—A plenary indulgence applicable only to the dead can be acquired in all churches and public oratories—and in semipublic oratories by those who have the right to use them—on November 2.

In addition, a plenary indulgence can be acquired twice a year in parish churches: on the feast of the church's titular saint and on August 2, when the "Portiuncula" occurs, or on some other more opportune day determined by the Ordinary.

All the indulgences mentioned above can be acquired either on the days established or—with the consent of the Ordinary—on the preceding or the following Sunday.

Other indulgences attached to churches and oratories are to be revised as soon as possible.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • a_f_hawkins
    I have discovered the latest list in English is called Manual of Indulgences, by USCCB.
  • chonakchonak
    This is routine. Whenever the Holy See issues an updated edition of the Manual of Indulgences (Enchiridion Indulgentiarum), it supersedes older editions.

Incidentally, since this thread is starting on December 31, there's still time to plan for a recitation or singing of the Veni Creator tomorrow (January 1), to gain the plenary indulgence.
  • tomjaw
    Fr. Z has mentioned many times that the older traditional indulgences no longer apply... I suspect that he is legally correct. Reading the Vatican website all is not so clear... One letter? (I have not managed to find a modern link to what I read a few years ago) by Pope Paul suggested that he intended to keep the traditional indulgences and update them by removing the 'days / Quarantines'. What did come into effect was a whole new set omitting many of the older traditional indulgences.

All the modern indulgences should be in the (Enchiridion Indulgentiarum), this should be a list of all of them but knowing the Vatican it may not be!

The last edition of the traditional version with English translation was published by Benziger in 1957, a reprint is available printed by PCP. I notice that this edition has lost the "Prayer for the conversion of Freemasons" found in the 1909 / 1910 ed. (Perhaps they had all been converted by 1957!).

But how does this work in practice... What happens for people using the older Indulgenced prayers? What happens with someone that has started an indulgenced prayer but while saying it the decree authorising the new edition is signed?

I suspect that it is still a good thing to say the older prayers / devotions and maybe at the last day God may grant you the indulgences... Of course a future pope may reissue the old version...
  • Liam
    Indulgences are a legislative act under the power of the keys, as it were, and the legislative action here was crystal clear, so this is not a fuzzy area at all.
  • tomjaw
    @Liam Papally approved legislation has appeared over the last 100 years, where almost universal practice has been the opposite. The present incumbent has shown this in an exemplary manner, Maundy Thursday! Leading by example has not been a strong point.

I am also told the AAS does not contain mention of the promulgation of the Missal during 1962...

I wonder what Pope Francis thinks about indulgences...
  • Protasius
    Given that a special indulgence was granted for the extraordinary jubilee year of mercy, he apparently does not think of them as outdated practice.
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • chonakchonak
    I expect that the 1968 edition linked above is probably correct on most things, but it is not the latest. The fourth post-conciliar Latin edition was from 1999, and it was published in English in 2006.

As it happens, on my bookshelf is a 1991 English edition whose "Concordat cum originali" notice bears the name Ronald F. Krisman. Perhaps he can autograph it for me some time! :-)
    Thanked by 1eft94530