looking for easier alternative 3rd Sunday of Lent, Domenica XV communio
  • Hello, I have a music background but am self-taught in Gregorian Chant. I recently started a Gregorian Chant choir at our church thinking I might attract about 10 people. 28 have come ranging in age from 8 to adult with many teens. Our priests are allowing us to sing at the vigil mass on 3rd March 3rd Sunday of Lent. It took a lot of convincing :( We are singing the Kyrie, Agnus Dei and the Sanctus from Missa dei Angelis as well as one communion hymn. The person who is the real choir director for that mass has suggested that we sing Panis Angelicus for the communion hymn from Today's Missal. This seems a bit too easy whereas the Passer Invenit seems a little too challenging. I was hoping that some of you might have a suggestion. I would really like to introduce a polyphone piece if possible.
  • chonakchonak
    For an easy chant option, the Graduale Simplex (free PDF download from musicasacra.com) has this communion antiphon on the 3rd Sunday of Lent (p. 101):
    You'd sing it with verses of Psalm 27, from which it's taken.

I'm assuming this is for a Mass in the ordinary form; you could sing an English plainsong antiphon from CMAA's book "Simple English Propers"; here are the antiphons it provides for Lent III:
    https://media.musicasacra.com/books/sep/017_SEP_3-Lent.pdf
    598 x 159 - 46K
  • ... suggested that we sing Panis Angelicus for the communion hymn... I would really like to introduce a polyphony piece if possible.

Why not use Panis Angelicus by Lambilotte? It is an easy piece in parts, could be done either SA or SATB depending on your voice distribution. It is a nod to the choir director while also allowing you to push a bit further than the original suggestion which you felt was a bit too easy. Although not polyphony, it is a start in that direction.

If Lambilotte is too easy, you could do something like the Casciolini, but if the group is still coming together, I think Lambilotte is better. Also, the Lambilotte is likely to be familiar to some in the congregation and may be a more popular choice.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • tomjaw
    A bit of Isaac...
    http://www3.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Passer_invenit_(Heinrich_Isaac)

We sing this and the Isaac is wonderful.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Since this will be during Lent -

Palestrina's O Bone Jesu or Adoramus Te (also the Rosselli edition) are old standbys. You might also look into Victoria's Tanquam Agnus. Or Cordans' Jesu Salvator Mundi. You can find all of these in the St. Pius Hymnal; you should be able to find a PDF of the whole hymnal online.

I recently started a Gregorian Chant choir at our church thinking I might attract about 10 people. 28 have come ranging in age from 8 to adult with many teens.

Wow. Cici and Greg have been prodigal in their graces to your choir. May they continue to bless you!
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Thank you All!!! I am so grateful for this group. I am really just one step ahead of my students on this learning curve, but we are all pretty dedicated to this. I appreciate your suggestions and your encouragement. In Christ, Catherine Orazi-Stockermans