When people refer to hymns as "dirge"
  • PaxTecum
    How do you respond?

Someone recently referred to "Savior of the Nations, Come!" (NUN KOMM, DER HEIDEN HEILAND) as a dirge and I was a caught a bit off guard and not sure how to respond to this.

Any advice?
  • dad29
    You might say "Yes, it's in a minor key, which is to demonstrate the longing of the world for the coming of the Savior. You got it exactly right!"

Then as you move away, under your breath, you might continue......
  • chonakchonak
    That person certainly knows how to enter into the spirit of the season!

For that matter, the melody of "O come, O come Emmanuel" was originally from funeral music.
  • jefe
    I've heard that for years about the pacing during Compline. Anything in a minor key or mode other that 8 has to be a dirge. It's just a reflection of the whiz-bang, fast paced, superficial, style over substance, remember only the movie soundtracks, cheap and tawdry society in which we now live. It takes time, maybe an entire lifetime to understand the deeper meanings of tempo, even for professionals. Harmonic rhythm, agogic rhythm connection of text to tune, reverb in the space, and key are but a few considerations. Age of the listener probably has the most to do with their pronouncement that it's "a dirge". Stick to your guns; eventually they will understand. Now, THIS is a dirge: half note = 30: but with a text like, "We Praise Thee" how does that tempo work, especially in minor? It's the original and my trombone choir version a half step lower.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Reason it is a dirge to You is because You are not tapping Your feet at the correct times.
  • PaxTecum
    thanks everyone.

@jefe i think you hit you hit the nail on the head for the "why". on a completely unrelated note - I really enjoy Tschesnokoff's Duh Tvoy Blagiy (or May Thy Holy Spirit, if you will).
  • Because they're not entertained and their opinion matters oh so much to the Pastor, who of course wants them to be entertained.

• I'm with Dad 29, it expresses the longing of the world for the coming of the Savior. Just smile brightly and compliment them on their sensus catholicus; it IS a dirge, which is defined as "a mournful song, piece of music, or poem".
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • Unless someone is being unduly aggressive, I find that typically compliments and complaints receive very similar responses from me. If a compliment, I smile and say "thank you". If a complaint, I smile and laugh deprecatingly. I'm not there to debate the philosophy of liturgical music although if someone is genuinely interested in the "why", I'll engage in that conversation. Sometimes, parishioners just want to voice the complaint as a way of venting. Someone who wants to discuss typically approaches it that way.

I had a similar situation with "Dear St. Joseph". Two people approached me because of the phrase in the refrain: "When the death shades round us gather, teach us how to die" and expressed some of the same viewpoint as you mention - dirge-like, funereal, etc.. There was even mention that it was somehow unsuitable for children! The first person was simply determined to complain, so I listened and shrugged it off. The second person was genuinely interested in knowing my viewpoint, and we had a good discussion about the Catholic approach to death and St. Joseph's role as the patron saint of a good death.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good the music program is, how fine the selections, how fortunate the parish is in their music. SOMEONE will ALWAYS find SOMETHING to complain about.
  • Carol
    On the subject of teaching us how to die, I must say that I thought I had learned all my parents could teach me until my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Then I learned how much my parents could still teach me about marriage and dignity and submitting oneself to the will of God. "Teach us how to die." I have been schooled! And I am grateful!
  • CharlesW
    SOMEONE will ALWAYS find SOMETHING to complain about.

Nature of the beast. That will never change.
    Thanked by 3Carol PaxTecum CHGiffen

• 'Dirge', 'Museum piece', fill in the blank. Haven't we heard such clinically stupid remarks before from people who simply don't like something so tack a pejorative onto it as if they were an oracle. I would explain the mood of such a piece and the whys and wherefores of its approptiateness to the season or the day, and, having done my charitable duty, not being bothered the least by their thoughtless judgmentalism. Such categorisations are highly subjective on the part of persons who are ill-equiped to make objective and worthy observations.

I once knew a Lutheran pastor who hated Lutheran chorales because they were all 'museum pieces', not the happy-clappy hog-wash that had gotten 'hold of him (poor man!). Of course, what one finds in musea is the cream of human creativity - that this creativity might find no other place than a museum is a piteous statement of human values and priorities.

(I, for one, find Nun komm quite joyful!)

The last thing one wants to do when accosted by such persons is to be defensive or caught off guard. Launch immediately into a smiling and bright-eyed explanation of the virtues involved and remain collected and unabashed.

The fault is in the person - not the thing.
    Yet another case of projecting one's own shortcomings onto others.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I'm not sure how many [PIPs] would regard this as a dirge. But I think the proportion would be higher if it were performed according to "Old Solesmes" rules.
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum

• >> (I, for one, find Nun komm quite joyful!)
    yes; the Catholic idea of joy is different. In Holy Week I noticed an indicator for use of tone 7, which is used for occasions of rejoicing.
  • I find that the people who make such remarks are usually the ones who feel that only one emotion is to be expressed in the church, to the exclusion of others: superficial happiness. "If music doesn't sound upbeat, then it shouldn't be in church." Because, you know, the Church being the Body of Christ, and therefore imbued with the entirety of His emotions, shouldn't feel anything besides happiness. It should never weep. (John 11:35) Or express fear of death. (Luke 22:42) Or experience alienation. (Matthew 27:46)

It is a regrettable sophism to say (as it was sometimes said in sermons) that the death of a father or mother, husband or wife, or of a child, is no reason for sadness as long as they have died well, after receiving the last Sacraments, as long as we can hope that they are with God. Of course the eternal happiness of one whom we truly love is the most important thing, but separation from the beloved, even if only for a time, remains a terrible cross.

Whoever does not feel this cross, whoever just happily goes his way with the consolation that the beloved has found eternal happiness, is not directed to eternity in a special way—he is simply insensitive and does not want to be disturbed in the normal rhythm of his daily life. He is simply making a comfortable excuse when he emphasizes that the eternal salvation of the other is the most important thing. He has forgotten that even Jesus Christ, the God-Man, prayed in Gethsemane: “Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me.” He does not understand that a cross which has been imposed on us should be suffered under as a cross. Only then can we attain to the true consolation which lies in the perspective of eternity, to the true hope of eternal blessedness. -- Dietrich von Hildebrand, The Devastated Vineyard (p.130, bold mine)
  • Carol
    Beautifully put.
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • francis
    I just always thank them for expressing their opinion one way or the other.
  • I'd farrrrr prefer people to be complaining to me than complaining to someone else about me.

It's always good to get feedback (of the non amplified kind!), and actionable feedback is particularly appreciated.

If someone wants to rant, I'll sympathise for a while and then invite them to become part of the solution. That usually starts them running away pretty quickly.
  • Yes!
    When 'they' come to you instead of going to their coterie of 'experts' or to the clergy, that's at least one thing to sigh thanks about.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • I just always thank them for expressing their opinion one way or the other.

As the late, great senator Moynihan once said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."
  • As Harlan Ellison so eloquently put it, "You are not entitled to your opinion, you are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
  • If I may gloss Clerget's sage axiom -

Incidental ignorance is excusable.
    A preference for wallowing in it isn't.
    Thanked by 2MarkS Carol
  • SalieriSalieri
    For NUN KOMM do you use Bach's harmonization or the older one by Vulpius? The Vulpius can be taken at around quarter=90 bpm, the Bach by comparison sounds best around 68 bpm. (It is generally agreed that as harmonizations became more elaborate, the chorales slowed down, a fairly lively tempo is probably the original intention.)
  • The chorales were sung rather slowly in early times, just as was chant. As some will know, it was common for them to be sung a line at a time with elaborations from the organ between each line. Too, it has been written that the organ would do preluding on the chorale which would then be sung a capella by the congregation. So, I think, Salieri, that the likes of Vulpius would have been sung rather slowly, and the likes of Bach would have merely filled in the space between notes of the already drawn out tempo.

Many Lutherans today, though, like their hymnody at a rather (to an Anglican) comically fast pace.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Unless you sing "savIOUR of THE naTIONS" original intentions are rather beside the point ;-) But for us mm=90 works well.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Incardination: I had a very similar experience to you with the hymn you mention, "Dear Saint Joseph, Pure and Gentle." Last year, while I was having this fine hymn recorded in its entirety, two of the singers mentioned (in a joking-like way) that they thought the chorus, "When the death shades, 'round us gather, teach oh teach us how to die" was somewhat depressing. I explained, as you did, that the words were quite appropriate since St. Joseph is the Patron of a Happy Death. I further explained that Catholic legend has it that St. Joseph died in the arms of Jesus and Mary. Neither singer knew this, and one of them (who is not Catholic) exclaimed, "What a beautiful thought!" It turned out to be a nice experience as a "teach-in" for all of us.

As for your singer who did not think the hymn was appropriate for children, tell him/her that it comes from a hymnal entitled, CONVENT HYMNS AS USED BY THE PUPILS OF THE SISTERS OF NOTRE DAME (Liverpool, 1891). Enough said!
  • St Joseph -

Many thanks for mentioning this tradition about St Joseph. I had never heard it before and find it touching and memorable. It is interesting that, outside the nativity narrative, the flight into AEgypt and the search for Jesus who was teaching elders in the temple, Joseph is not mentioned at all throughout scripture. I've always rather resented the lack of mention of Joseph, who must have been an influence on the child Jesus, who was Mary's husband, and so forth.
    Thanked by 2Carol StimsonInRehab
  • >> I've always rather resented the lack of mention of Joseph, who must have been an influence on the child Jesus, who was Mary's husband, and so forth.

And who had so many sufferings, in the conception and birth and care of this Child.
    The flight into Egypt was because of Herod's intentions to kill the Child
    and to ensure success, he ordered the slaughter of all the children of Bethlehem within an age group of what, two years
    Consider that Bethlehem was where St Joseph had to report for the Roman census. I don't think we know the date of the killings, but if it was near the census time he lost a large number of his relatives.
  • I pray that we, collectively, honor St. Joseph throughout the year in our music selections and not just during March or toward the beginning of May.

I remember a visiting priest who gave a very inspiring sermon (some twenty-odd years ago, so it shows how inspiring) on the virtues of St. Joseph. I think his profound humility is perhaps underscored by the casual way in which the Gospels treat of him, and, further, that it illustrates the role tradition as much as scripture plays in understanding our Faith.
  • Tempos of hymns and all organ music are determined not by a metronome, but by the acoustics in the room.

Any composer's markings are what they thought it should be played at on the instrument and the room that they played or conducted.
  • Liam
    Also, for congregational singing, the tempo would additionally be ruddered by the natural phrasing in a single breath, and harmonization chosen with that in mind so that it's not an organ piece with congregational accompaniment....
  • ruddered by the natural phrasing

which leads to the now famous 1940 Hymnal text: My God, I love thee NOT, because I hope for heaven thereby.
    Thanked by 2Incardination Carol
  • ronkrisman
    Beware of wrongly placed commas.
  • Given that it is in the Episcopal hymnal, is it possible that a certain kind of Episcopalian hopes to get to heaven precisely by not loving the God they've been taught exists somewhere under a Roman sun?
  • MarkS
    Thank you Fr. Krisman, Liam. C G-Z: no, I think that's crazy. Episcopalians I know are not anti-Catholic in the way that some Catholics I know are reflexively anti-Protestant. In fact, most Protestants I know rarely even think about Catholicism (for better or worse). If Episcopalians consider the Catholic Church at all, it is with deep respect. Perhaps just my experience?
  • Beware of wrongly placed commas.

US: Throw the Yule Log on, Uncle John!
    UNCLE JOHN: . . . please don't . . .
    Thanked by 2Carol CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    If Episcopalians consider the Catholic Church at all, it is with deep respect. Perhaps just my experience?

I have encountered a number of Episcopalians who profess profound hatred for the Catholic Church. Delving deeper, I found most were former Catholics. Some interesting stories there as to why they left, usually centering on how the Catholic Church didn't bend to them and let them have their own way.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Mark,

I've just finished reading a biography of sorts of the present Archbishop of Canterbury. He says that we need to take the Biblical witness seriously, but then favors women bishops, priests and deacons, and can't answer a simple question like "is sodomy against the commandment of God?"

Episcopalians (as a rule, it seems, not as an anecodatal circumstance) believe in God just so long as god does what they want. The god of social justice is the real god, in their minds, but the God who says "thou shalt not commit adultery" is something other than the real god. That's what I mean by "the God they've been taught exists somewhere under a Roman sun".
  • MarkS
    Chris,

We are wandering way off topic! But: it is certainly true that there are theological and doctrinal differences between Catholics and the various Protestant denominations. If that was your only point, of course I agree. I rather read "the God they've been taught exists somewhere under a Roman sun" to mean that some Episcopalians are taught something along the lines of "Catholics think 'X' but we think 'Y'," or even "Catholics think 'X' and therefore we must think 'Y," i.e. they must define themselves as anti-Catholic—to which my response is that, in my experience, few folks in the Protestant world are particularly concerned (again, for better or worse) with what Catholics believe—they have been brought up in their own centuries-old traditions, which for most is sufficient, and they feel little need to look outside of those traditions. To the extent that they are taught about Catholicism, or Protestant denominations other than their own, my experience is that they are taught to respect them as parts of the larger Christian Church.

Charles,

Yes, it is true that ex-Catholics, Episcopalian or otherwise, tend to be at least in some sense(s) anti-Catholic. Pretty much stands to reason, doesn't it? But the ones I know for the most part do not feel hatred of the Church, but rather, for one reason or another, a deep sense of disappointment (whether we may feel this is legitimate or not), and many hope one day to to reunite with the Catholic church.

At any rate, the stock figure, found frequently in some Catholic narratives, of the virulent anti-Catholic Protestant is someone who I have rarely encountered in my many years working among the Protestants. (I don't doubt that, as a historical fact, this figure once existed, but my sense is that the Protestant world has moved well beyond that. And, indeed, these days Catholics and many Protestant denominations are finding much common ground.) Or perhaps I have led a sheltered life? But given my experience, if such people were out there I would certainly have run across a couple of them at some point!

Full disclosure: my father comes from a devout Irish-Catholic family, and my mother from an (if possible) even more devout Methodist family; my over 35-year career has been pretty evenly split between Catholic and Protestant institutions. So, per Joni Mitchell, "I've looked at life from both sides now..."

okay, really sorry about that last reference! Back to music!
  • As a slight gloss on the Episcopalian-Roman Catholic issue I'll toss in a few observations from an Episcopalian's vantage point. I was a cradle-Episcopalian and never experienced any anti-Catholic bias at all. Now, did that mean that hordes of Anglicans were keen on becoming Catholic? No. Far from it. But, there was no contempt of the Catholic Church. I, for one dreamed of the day on which we would become reunited; and there were many others, particularly Anglo-Catholics who were quite serious about their Catholic faith and knew that the pope did not have a monopoly on the Catholic faith - the faith which they shared. Amongst such as these there was a hope or a desire for there to be a rapprochement between Rome and Canterbury. Some, such as I, really thought it possible within a century, if not within our life-times. But, alas! It was not to be. The dread path which Anglicanism chose in the last half of the last century rather ruled such a rapprochement out - purposefully, consciously, deliberately, and in spite of the faithful witness of the Roman Church and Orthodoxy. I weep and wail because Anglicanism betrayed its own best genius for the social gospel and civic religion.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    But, alas! I was not to be. The dread path which Anglicanism chose in the last half of the last century rather ruled such a rapprochement out - purposefully, consciously, deliberately, and in spite of the faithful witness of the Roman Church and Orthodoxy. I weep and wail because Anglicanism betrayed its own best genius for the social gospel and civic religion.

I agree. The COE and its Episcopal counterpart, decided to follow the gods of political correctness rather than the One known from earliest times. These days, they have drifted so far from Catholicism that I can't see any kind of reunion taking place. I worked in a Church of Christ (Disciples of Christ) church at one time. Lovely people, but they followed the same errors and often commented that we should all be one. I can't see us being one with them unless we abandon Apostolic Christianity.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • My experience of Protestantism both before my Tiber swim and afterwards is clearly different from yours, Jackson and Mark.

[Mightily striving to get us back to the topic of music]....I raised the question in the first place because there is an irenic mist which desires to include whatever can be included within Catholic worship from the Protestant traditions regardless of whether the original author intended to accept the Catholic position or not. Viz..... Amazing Grace "and other Traditional Catholic favorites.
    Thanked by 2Incardination MarkS
  • To answer Chris' charge that his experience was different from mine, I don't doubt it. There are many corners in the Big Tent of Anglicanism. Some are (or were) more Catholic than the pope, some indifferent, some curious, some well disposed, and some outright contemptuous. My people were not the least bit antipathetic, nor were any whom I encountered, though I knew that they were there.

The really sad thing is that high church, low church, evangelicals, pretenders to an Oxford Movement Anglo-Catholicism which no longer exists, and on and on, all have made their peace with priestesses, bishopettes, civil religion. and the rest. I remember well how that the bishop of Fond du Lac (a famed bastion of Oxford Movement Orthodoxy) and other such places declared back in the sixties and seventies that if 'they' ever ordained women 'I will walk off to Rome with my entire diocese'. Well, 'they' did it and not a soul went anywhere at all with himself or his entire diocese - so repulsive an embarrassment to spiritually thirsty souls was Catholic music, liturgy, and translation in the post-conciliar years.

Whether it's from Episcopalians, though, or others, there is plenty in the Catholic Church to be derisive of - and it isn't Mariology, Petrine doctrine, Latin, Indulgences, saints, or any other of the familiar litany of 'abuses'. No, it is a general culture of deliberate mediocrity and the very prevalent likes of.....

Viz... Amazing Grace...

Ha! Chris - As I mentioned on another thread, I was engaged to play a French mass at St Basil's Chapel, UST, on Christmas Eve. Thrilled to do so, I practiced the music to perfection and prepared d'Aquin's Noel Grand jeu et duo for a voluntary, i.e., a 'prelude', expecting that they would really appreciate it. Far from it! The cultured and mature Europeans (French ones yet!) with whom I expected jointly to worship the new Emmanuel in worthy state sat there and talked loudly through the d'Aquin, mumble sung through the happy-clappy entrance song (which included an incompetent teen-aged coterie of instruments), and could scarcely be heard on the refrain-styled Gloria. For all that was sung there was an arm flailer or a pirouettist at the lectern. The anamnese ('Memorial Acclamation' to us) was sung half-heartedly to the tune of 'Amazing Grace', and the congregation in general just seemed to be enjoying what was, essentially, a kiddie-show pastiche of this and that, with children reading all the readings, the psalm responsory (responsory sung, verses spoken) and on and on. There are not words to convey my utter disappointment and my disillusionment with our European cousins. What, I suppose, would you expect of people who committed regicide and danced at having done it!
  • dad29
    refrain-styled Gloria

Off-topic....was that 'style' recently banned, or at least strongly discouraged?
  • Dad,

If such a ban existed, surely Spadaro and company are well on their way to abolishing it as part of an outdated something-or-the-other, and certainly a failure to accompany sheep.
  • It was indeed discouraged, probably because of the same reason most chant is discouraged: it takes longer to perform.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab