As the marathon approacheth
  • Kathy
    Wishing all the DMs and musicians a joyous celebration of #thefourthsundayofadventandchristmas

Best wishes for a happy and healthy few days!
  • Best wishes and prayers for a happy and holy conclusion to Advent and for the Christmas season. MJO, hope you get that bottle OF Benedictine! :)

Vigil of Christmas:
    * K 11 ad lib; Mass IV; Credo III; B. Dmno XVII-2 (Asperges ad lib I)
    * full-tone propers
    * Creator Alme Siderum / Let all Mortal Flesh / Parce Domine
    * Offertory = Non Nobis
    * Communion
    *** Anima Christi (Cherion)
    *** Ave Verum (Josquin)
    *** Miserere (Lotti)
    *** Veni, Veni Emmanuel
    * O Come Divine Messiah

Christmas midnight:
    * Missa O Magnum (Victoria); Credo III; Ite VIII
    * full-tone propers
    * Carol Program
    *** Silent Night
    *** Good King Wenceslaus
    *** The First Noel
    *** As with Gladness Men of Old
    *** The Angel Gabriel
    *** Angels we have Heard on High
    *** What Child is This
    *** Noel Nouvelet
    *** Joy to the World
    *** Riu Riu Chiu
    * Gaudete
    * Offertory = Puer Natus Est (Morales)
    * Communion
    *** Laetentur Coeli (Gruender)
    *** Tollite Hostias (St. Saens)
    *** Iesu Redemptor Omnium (Stadlmayer)
    *** Resonet (Chant)
    * Joy to the World

Christmas Day:
    * Missa Stella Matutina (Carnevali); Credo IV; Ite II
    * full-tone propers
    * Silent Night - Organ processional
    * Offertory = Laetentur Coeli (Gruender)
    * Communion
    *** Tollite Hostias (St. Saens)
    *** Iesu Redemptor Omnium (Stadlmayer)
    *** Gaudete
    * Joy to the World
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • tomjaw
    Already begun here, we have sung the Mass of the Vigil, with our forth set of cantors, later a professional choir will be singing midnight Mass. our third set of Cantors will sing tomorrow, and 5th set on Tuesday. The second set of cantors will be back for new year! and the first set ready for Epiphany!
  • Incardination, could you send me a copy of the Greunder?
  • Excerpted from the composer anthology I put together for my choir on composers whose music we sing:

Fr. Hubert Gruender – 1870 – 1940 (Dutch? German?) Fr. Gruender is a bit of an enigma in that while he was well-regarded as a liturgical musician on the one-hand, he was better known for his work in the field of psychology. He said of himself that he learned music as a child from "very bad teachers" and attended no conservatory but "that of Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart." He immigrated to the United States in 1895 to teach in several Jesuit colleges and universities, including St. Louis University. He often told his students, "I am a philosopher, but I am not afraid to face any musician." He is credited with having developed a cure for stuttering, he wrote numerous textbooks of psychology, he served as an editor for many years (along with other famous names in Liturgical music of the time, including Sr. Cherubim – composer of Hosanna to the Son of David) for The Caecilia – a monthly magazine of Catholic Liturgical music. At St. Louis University, he served simultaneously in three departments, including the department of music. He taught, among other classes, music appreciation, for which he invented a special phonograph that used 4-5 speakers and the equivalent of a graphic equalizer. He was an expert on aphasia and color-sensation, particularly color-blindness.

(Sources: Obituary from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch; Psychology Department, St. Louis University; The Caecilia)

Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • dad29
    For many MD's, the quote from PG Wodehouse may apply.

"Here we are with another Christmas at our throat."
    Thanked by 1Carol