Prayer request
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Hello all,

I wanted to ask if you all would spare a prayer for me over your Advent or Christmas. I'm preparing to take the GRE on the 22nd and putting together the rest of my graduate applications for Theology programs focused on Liturgical Studies. I truly believe that I have a calling to contribute to the study of theology and liturgy, and if you can shoot up a prayer for me to stay resolved, focused, and healthy enough to do my best in this application process and trust in Providence for the rest, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Best of luck on the 22nd, and prayers for your success.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • Will pray for discernment and Godspeed, and put you on the prayer list at Walsingham.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • CharlesW
    I have found the GRE, having taken it twice for Master's programs, often asks for common sense answers. Some institutions take it seriously while others give it as a formality not taken so seriously. In any event, prayers for you and wishing you every success.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • Carol
    My son and niece took the GRE very recently and did well as I am sure you will. I will certainly pray for you on the 22nd, as the Church definitely needs young people who want to study theology and liturgy. God Bless you!
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • melofluentmelofluent
    30 years ago I took (and passed) the MA GRE's on one single occasion; both general and subject. Didn't really prep, just stayed melo yet focused. You can do it! Prayers aloft.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • igneusigneus
    "I truly believe that I have a calling to contribute to the study of theology and liturgy"

LOL. Someone should also say a prayer for liberation from false beliefs.
  • eft94530eft94530
    V you have my prayers.
    May your efforts be fruitful for the restoration of the true good beautiful.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    "I truly believe that I have a calling to contribute to the study of theology and liturgy"

LOL. Someone should also say a prayer for liberation from false beliefs.

What exactly is that supposed to mean?
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • igneusigneus
    It's supposed to be an offense.

It's funny when a man publicly announces that he "truly believes he has a calling to contribute to the study of ...". Don't believe you have a calling to contribute - go and contribute. Your contributions (if they are of any value) may be relevant for the public, your beliefs of "having a calling" to make them are not.

Anyway, good luck with the exams and further studies.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    [Redacted for saltiness]
  • Gentlemen, you can't trust your beliefs in here - this is a Church Forum!
  • CharlesW
    We'll have no beliefs in this house! Is outrage!
  • Carol
    Vilyanor, don't worry too much about these comments. I am new to this forum, but I have noticed some here enjoy exercising sardonic wit, and they can be very witty. Read the comments, consider them, and move on. Still praying for you to do well on the 22nd.
  • Prayers and good luck! Taking the GRE is one reason I’ve put off furthering my own studies-I’m a terrible test-taker!
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Carol Vilyanor
  • chonakchonak
    I think igneus has a point: there are a lot of people who would have been quite decent priests and religious (or do other good and holy things with their time), but who have been inhibited from doing them because they wanted to discern their vocation first. I'd recommend that people pursue what their interest and ability propose, and if providence lets it all happen well in the end, you can consider that an evidence of one's vocation.
  • A friend who went to seminary to try his vocation told me that he was creating a space in his life in which to go there. He said it was like pulling a stake up out of water; the water closes over the place where the stake used to be and that's that. The hardest thing about being in seminary is, he said, to continually leave oneself open for *others* to discern whether or not he has a vocation; his part is to learn, and pray, and wait. I can hardly think of anything more searing, more difficult.

you may wonder, was he ordained? He was at Seminary a very long time, but in the end it was decided he did not have a vocation. So he went home, married, and has I think five beautiful children. He's a very happy man. He'll never have to wonder whether he might have had a vocation, and he said that things he learned during those years serve him well in life as a father of a family.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    I agree with that wholeheartedly. If I was trying to "discern" whether I belong in graduate school or not, or what my vocation is, I wouldn't be preparing to take the GRE and applying to grad schools, or getting married in the Summer. I've followed where my reason and desire lead, and I'm very happy and at peace with my vocation (much more than when I thought God would drop a sign of my vocation on my head like an anvil). If I'm not meant to be in graduate school, then I won't be. I'm simply asking for prayers to be the best instrument of God's will in this that I can be (I'm often awful).
  • Kathy
    I don't understand why people are jumping on a guy who is asking for prayers.

I agree that you should pursue your goals, I believe that God leads people, and you have the support of my prayers, Vilyanor!
  • igneusigneus
    @chonak That is not my point. My point was not at all about (not) discerning one's vocation.
  • Carol
    A young man who attended the Catholic school in which I taught, went to an order seminary and eventually left. He went to the archdiocesan seminary, was ordained, and is now a parish priest, thanks be to God. Another man I know went in and out of seminary a few times. I always suspected he had a vocation to be a brother, not a priest, but he is living the single life these days.
  • Kathy
    No, Igneous, your point was to be deliberately offensive, as you explained.
    Thanked by 2igneus KARU27
  • Whether or not we agree with one another musically or even in other areas of the Faith, hopefully we can all agree that we all need prayer and support from one another. When one asks for prayers, the charitable thing to do is to offer those prayers and perhaps an additional expression of support. It might even be connected to the season of Christmas. :)
    Thanked by 3Carol KARU27 Vilyanor
  • Carol
    By the way I think "Redacted for Saltiness" would be a great name for a Sea Chantey group.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Villy,

Praying for you and your success. Two things (1) Bring a sweater. (2) Don't sweat it. You'll do fine. Say a little prayer right before you go in for the test and give it all up to God.
  • chonakchonak
    Scripsit igneus:

@chonak That is not my point.

Are you sure? It should have been! :-)

But, no, it's all right. Thank you for correcting my misapprehension.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Vilyanor
  • Carol
    Today is the day for Vilyanor. Let us remember him in our prayers as he asked.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    The GRE went very well; better than expected. Thank you all for the prayers!
  • Carol
    I am happy to hear it! God bless you and Merry Christmas, almost!
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    And you!
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Rejoice in the Lord alway, and again I say 'rejoice'.
    Be careful for nothing, but in prayer and supplication
    let you requests be made known unto God....

I hope that your prayers, and ours on your behalf, are answered to your benefit.

Do we get to know how things turn out?
  • Blaise
    As always.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Congrats Villy!
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    The last of the applications are in. Now I feel like I can have a life again. Or at least move on to the next academic project that takes up all my time :P Thanks again for all of the prayers, I'll let you all know when I hear back from the schools.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bhcordova
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    I accepted an offer of admission for a joint program through through Yale Divinity and the Yale Institute of Sacred Music, which I will begin this Fall. Thank you all so much for the support and prayers. I'm immensely excited :D
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Boo ya
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Congrats!!!!
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor