Unknown gregorian chant - please help me find this song!
  • aletha
    hello everyone!

I've been searching high and low for this particular song. I apologise for the very poor quality, but I heard it off a radio station and I can't seem to find the CD this song came with. I so desperately wish to purchase this song!

If anyone can help, I'd be truly grateful!

You can listen to the song in the attachment or by on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_NBP5TMdg

Please help!

Kind regards,

Aletha
  • GavinGavin
    That's not Gregorian chant. That's the first movement of the "Requiem" by Gabriel Faure. Check your classical music section at the store under "Faure", there should be many recordings available.

Remember: Gregorian chant is usually unaccompanied.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Gregorian may be usually unaccompanied, but it is not not always, nor does it NEED to be so. The appropriate accompaniment can be both utilitarian in helping inexperienced choirs, and ALSO very beautiful - almost as much so as the Faure'.
  • GavinGavin
    Yes, yes, Steve. We've been over that. I was just trying to help someone perhaps unfamiliar with music learn to recognize authentic Gregorian chant.

EDIT: Nor do I wish to claim that accompanied chant is somehow less authentic. I'm a huge proponent of it, accompany chant all the time, and a vocal opponent of those who seek to forbid accompanied chant. I simply want to help out our friend with identifying which recordings are likely of Gregorian chant versus which may simply be choral works.