Know about Allen organs? I have a few questions for you.
  • I went to my late grandmother’s church today to meet with their new pastor, and to discuss the future of the organ he wishes to sell there. It was a loud and dusty scene, as they are in the middle of gutting the sanctuary and turning it into a “modern” church. The pews and altar rails were sitting outside, some of them in chopped pieces. The organ is an Allen, but I was not able to find anything that told me a model number or how old it may be. My best guess is late 70’s based on how long the organist I knew as a child was there, and a dedication plaque with her name on it affixed to the side of the console. It has two manuals and full pedalboard, no pipes just speakers, with a roll top cover. It’s in perfect working condition. The pastor has no idea of its worth or what he should sell it for. I know Allens are decent instruments, and I told him to contact the local organ professor to get more information about that, and about the logistics of having it moved and installed elsewhere. (That elsewhere being my current work or possibly my own home). Any info you can share will be very helpful!
  • Kathy
    When I moved an Allen across the choir loft, the technician did it within an hour, pedalboard and all, and that included fixing a sticky b-flat key.

Think of it like moving a heavier, more awkward piano.
    Thanked by 1FidemInFidebus
  • CharlesW
    Allens are durable and from a purely electrical standpoint, are probably the best designed and built electronics on the market. They have high quality components that last for many years. Whether or not you like the sound(s) they produce is another matter. There are 30-year-old Allens in local churches that are still going strong. Any Allen dealer or piano mover can easily move them.
  • The value of the organ depends on your local market. Around here (Edmonton, Canada), there are a fair number of organ enthusiasts, and an organ like yours sells for about $2000-3000 CDN. Allen’s are well built from a hardware perspective, and their sound is superior to other electronic organs from the time period. They have better resale value because they are still serviceable by the Allen company, unlike other organs from the time. They can also be converted into a digital organ using a computer and software like the Hauptwerk program, if a more authentic sound is desired. A large organ like yours can be moved by any piano or furniture mover in your area. The pedals usually disconnect, and the rest moved like any other wooden framed piece of furniture. Once in the new location, all you need is a standard outlet.
  • Okay okay M. Jackson we KNOOOOOW it’s a simulacrum and not an organ. No need to post your stuffy little “.” if you aren’t here to participate in the thread.

Thanks all others...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Hmmmmm, so I guess the fact that SIMULACRUM anagrams to MUSIC MURAL (or MURAL MUSIC) isn't of much help here?
  • KARU27
    How about SIMULACRUM anagramming to MUSICAL RUM?
    Does that help anyone during this season? Or is it just too obvious?
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • Mmm. Captain and Coke sounds good right about now.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen KARU27
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    More on anagrams for SIMULACRUM: when Pavarotti sang a high E (E5), it was often a MUSCULAR MI.
    Thanked by 2Carol KARU27