Artistic Director - Trinity Wall Street
  • Artistic Director

Trinity Wall Street, a historic and diverse Episcopal Parish in Lower Manhattan seeks an Artistic Director to steward its artistic and liturgical vision and to inspire performing and visual artists, staff, congregation, and community. The Artistic Director will serve as the principal conductor of the professional Trinity Choir in its service to worship, concert series, and recordings at Trinity. S/he will further develop the Choir's activities, exploring outreach, tours, and collaborative projects, including annual invitations to guest conductors.

The position is accountable for overseeing all liturgical, professional, and community music and arts programming at Trinity Church and St. Paul's Chapel, helping to create an environment where arts and music thrive for amateurs and professionals.

The position directly supervises the Associate Organist/Director of Youth Choirs, St. Paul's Musician, and Executive Assistant, and indirectly manages the Director of the volunteer Parish Choir, Organ Scholar/Librarian, and the Arts Administrator.

Requirements:

This individual possesses collaborative skills and has enjoyed success in leading creative people in a complex organization. S/he is education-minded, has at least a Masters Degree in Music (Doctorate preferred), with excellent keyboard skills.

We offer a competitive salary along with a comprehensive benefits package. For consideration, please send your resume and salary history with your salary requirements to:
    Trinity Wall Street
    Human Resources Department
    74 Trinity Place, Room 503
    NY, NY 10006-2088
    Fax 212-602-9649
    Email: HR@trinitywallstreet.org

No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
    The Parish of Trinity Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer
  • This raises an interesting question - how many of us would want to work outside a Catholic church?

The Trinity Choir is outstanding; they have several recordings online.
  • Well, you'd have to be able to deal well with clown 'liturgies', since the rector of Trinity actually put together one of the most widely publicized a year or two ago. You would also need to believe that an electronic imitation-organ is a worthy permanent replacement for a pipe organ, in a context where cost was not a major limiting factor.
  • GavinGavin
    I don't recall that any specific policies were ever set in place, but I believe it was agreed upon some time ago that discussions of job requirements, much less anything else, do not belong on job listing posts. Felipe raises an interesting topic for another thread. And as for rumors about the position, anyone with Google can find out what's gone on there and what sort of instrument they have.

Perhaps this policy should be spelled out in the forum rules somewhere?
  • CharlesW
    I think we are somewhat like my gossipy old great aunts - the nuances of everything get discussed in tedious detail. But then, that's part of the charm of this place. My thoughts are that if you post it in a public place, then it's fair game for comments. For my info, does anyone know what happened to the old organ that was there before the electronic was installed? I understand it was an Aeolian-Skinner, correct?
  • Hi everyone. The posting of the Artistic Director position on this site is so word gets out quickly. Trinity hopes to fill the position by June. The Aeolian-Skinner is still at Trinity and could possibly return. Right now, we are working hard at getting the Schlicker and Bozeman organs in our chapels working. Obviously, the Marshall and Ogletree digital organ has served Trinity well, so there is not a pressing need at the moment to replace it. The previous music director was in charge of bringing the digital organ to Trinity. Since we are no longer living in that era, anything is possible.
  • francis
    I would not consider anything but a Catholic post.
  • CharlesW
    Believe me, I have my days when not working with Catholics would be a joy. I wish Trinity every success in finding the right person for the job. It's good to hear that the Aeolian-Skinner may be restored.