Our Friends in CA
  • CharlesW
    Prayers for our friends in CA during the fires. I hope they are all safe.
  • Kathy
    Thanks, CharlesW! I see Paul Ford thanked you above. I've been concerned about St. John's Seminary in Camarillo, but it does look like the progress of the Thomas Fire has been northward, away from Camarillo, thankfully for the seminary.

I live in a remote area where the winds are likely to be very high and where there is a lot of brush, and very few roads, so I've decided to spend the next few days at the beach--a hopefully unnecessary evacuation!

There was a brushfire on a hillside in San Diego this morning, and the FD had it extinguished in minutes. Hopefully that's how things will continue to go through the days ahead here.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    So now there's a fire ("Lilac fire") threatening my house. It started late this morning and has been sweeping west, out of control. It will end up at Camp Pendleton unless it can be stopped.

Personally I am still at the beach and perfectly safe.

Just lately it seems that the fire has jumped the 76 freeway towards the north, and may avoid my place after all, which would be great. But I think about the beautiful area that is now in the path of the fire. There is the most beautiful farmland; whenever I see it I can't help thinking of the Shire. Just lovely. The Mission San Luis Rey is in the path, and further west, the wonderful Benedictine Prince of Peace Abbey.

Please pray, thank you!!
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Carol
  • CharlesW
    I have been following the fires on TV, and it is truly awful.
  • Kathy
    Thank you so much for your prayers! I visited my place today and it is fine. This was due to a northward turn.

The main blessing was that the winds were very, very subdued today, and the diligent concerted firefighting effort has stopped its westward progress. It could have been so much worse.

Unfortunately many people (85 at this count) have lost their homes. Please pray for them. Although this is disastrous, the northward turn thankfully saved a much more densely populated area to my south and west.

Also, please pray for the winds to be calm for the next few days. Winds are expected to be extremely high tomorrow and ridiculously high on Sunday. There are 3 problems: 1. exceedingly dry conditions, which we can't help, 2. a huge growth of dry brush, which should have been taken care of this year but has not, and 3. Santa Ana desert winds. So please pray for an unexpected calm!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Prayers for all affected in any way.
  • I saw on the internet news today a large number of horses being set free from their stables which were aflame.
    Prayers are offered for all - both human and wild life.
    You will be remembered at Walsingham this week-end.
  • Carol
    Wondering how things are going after the weekend of higher winds?
  • CharlesW
    I think I heard that some of those horses Jackson mentioned, perished in the fires. Last I heard those fires are not under control. Then there is the dam that after millions in repairs is still in danger. That area seems to be having an excess of troubles of late.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Kathy
    As far as I can tell, the winds were calmer in San Diego than predicted, thanks be to God! No new incidents, and good progress was made against the existing fire.

Our fire commanders deserve an enormous thanks. They stopped the forward progress of the Lilac Fire under very bad conditions. This was in a united effort with military air support. (Camp Pendleton was potentially in the path of the fire.) Like the Thomas Fire, the Lilac Fire was racing straight to the ocean My sense is that this will become a textbook case of coalition firefighting.

Please pray for the many who lost homes.

The Thomas Fire and the other LA-area fires have been less on my radar, but I believe Thomas is still a huge threat, and heading towards Santa Barbara.
  • Would one of you Californians explain the names given to the various fires. I assume because the earlier fire began near Thomas Aquinas College it was called the Thomas fire. But am I correct? What about the others?
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Kathy
    The Lilac Fire began at Lilac Road. I think you're right about the Thomas Fire. It started in a park that is south of the College.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Praying for all affected by this fire.
    @Kathy - Stay safe.
  • Kathy
    Thank you! Just saw that the one near me, the Lilac Fire, is 92% contained!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bhcordova
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hi Kathy,

Have you heard anything about causes?

C
  • Kathy
    "Under investigation" at this point.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • a_f_hawkins
    Prayers needed again for those stricken by floods and mudslides.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Carol
  • Hi all,

I'm pleased to report that, as of yesterday, the students at TAC are not on a mandatory evacuation list, and that they are taking their exams as otherwise planned.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW canadash