Two interesting paragraphs for your consideration
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Any thoughts on the below??

Page 92-93 from James Akin "Mass Confusion" (copyright 1999) quotes the GIRM:

There are variations in which responses are used during the psalm. The response that is printed in the missalette is not the only option:
    When there is only one reading before the Gospel:
    a. during a season calling for an Alleluia, there is an option to use either the Psalm with Alleluia as the response, or the responsorial psalm and Alleluia with its verse, or just the plain psalm, or just the Alleluia;
    b. during the season when the Alleluia is not allowed, either the responsorial psalm or the verse before the Gospel may be used [GIRM 38].

Page 184 gives another official Church document quote:

It is necessary, moreover, that the principals of sacredness and dignity which distinguish church music, be it for its chant as for its sound, should remain intact. All that which is merely secular should be proscribed from the house of God. Jazz, for instance, cannot today be part of a musical repertoire designed for worship. [Notitiae 2 (1966) 157, 5 DOL 427]
  • I believe Notitiæ itself does not qualify as an official Church document, although that is where many documents are published.

This journal also published a defense of versus populum celebration that attempted (weakly, IMO) to respond to Ratzinger et al. who advocate for ad orientem.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Can you give me more information on what NOTITIAE is?
  • GavinGavin
    I'll give a yea or nay on Notitiae when they define "jazz".

And as for the first quote, I think this is an excellent opportunity for "continuity" between the old "Tract" and the modern "Gospel Verse". Same with the old "Alleluia Gradual".
  • Notitiæ is the CDW’s official journal.

This is the publication from which, for example, the PDF on musicasacra.com of the Ordo Cantus Officii was taken.

I believe it began as the journal of the Consilium to implement the V2 CSL.

I’ve never seen an actual issue of it, but I suspect it is similar in format and scope to the journal Worship, but with a more international bent.
  • Richard R.
    "There are variations in which responses are used during the psalm. The response that is printed in the missalette is not the only option:
    When there is only one reading before the Gospel..."

I would question whether this constitutes an actual "quote" from the GIRM. For one thing, the GIRM would not use the term "missalette" which is a colloquialism, derived from a copyrighted name (on the order of Kleenex or Jell-O). I can't remember who claims to have coined it first, but they have reacted strongly to people (Sacred Music, in particular, as I recall) using it to mean a generic disposable worship aid.

However, it is true that provision is made for singing the Psalm in directum, with no response, or using Alleluia as the response during the Easter season. I should think the latter would be a worthy practice, but some might find the subsequent Alleluia proper redundant and perhaps minimized, somehow, if a responsorial Alleluia were used this way. But can Easter really have too much Alleluia?