Spanish Lectionary Psalms and Communion Propers that are not in chant neumes
  • Hi Everyone, I'm the Music Coordinator in a Parish in Oregon that is beginning to do the hard work in improving the liturgical music standards here. We are a bilingual Parish and while I can find many quality resources online for the English choirs, there aren't much Spanish resources.

1) I'm looking for Spanish Lectionary Psalms. The Spanish Choirs here are not fond of OCP's R&A. I have yet to check out GIA's new bilingual ones , but I am wondering if there are any more out there? I know Chanabel has common Psalms, but we would like either the Lectionary or New Grail Translation if available.

The Spanish choirs are very open to trying to sing the Communion Propers, but there does not seem to be much accessible resources given that most of the directors do not read music well, and currently find chant too much of an alien language.

In time, I am planning to start a bilingual chant education program, but due to the current culture and lack of financial resources, it's going to take time to take off. I need something that's equivalent to the Motyka Propers to get them started, hopefully by this Advent. The Marello project seems incomplete, and Janet's project is wonderful, but too difficult for now.

Does anyone know of any simple Spanish Communion Propers that are (well) written in modern notation with accompaniments and perhaps some chords. Some groups have piano skills, others just guitar. Fortunately they are musical players that are sensitive to the liturgical sensibilities that is required. They just need some guidance and are very eager to grow.

I would be happy to try composing some Communion Propers, but unsure of where to start. Is the Graduale Romanum translated in Spanish (with imprimatur) available? Or will we have to go with the Antiphons in the Misal Romano that is coming out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • eft94530eft94530
    The Spanish choirs are very open to trying to sing the Communion Propers

In Autumn 2016 I created three sheets for each Sunday, one for each of
    Introit (psalm tone VII)
    Offertory (psalm tone VIII)
    Communion (psalm tone I)
    and have been correcting them as time permits (150+ sheets).

Each sheet has
    Graduale Latin text set to Psalm Tone
    followed by
    Misal Espanol text set to Psalm Tone
    therefore
    only three melodies to learn
    and quickly non-reading cantors and choirs can sing the entire year
    in both Latin and Espanol.

All are in chant notation.
    Accompaniments are in my mind.

By mid-November I hope to have created
    three modern notation accompaniment PDF sheets
    and a webpage to access all these existing chant PDF sheets.

Converting from chant to modern notation is a huge effort and I lack the time.
    Thanked by 1SMichaelB
  • Thank you for your efforts. Part of the issue I have is also transitioning them, and it is a huge shift jumping straight from the Flor Y Canto material that they have been singing to chant and plainsong. Ive been looking to see if there is something like http://www.communionantiphons.org in Spanish because then it allows me to introduce chant tones and the Propers before jumping straight to chant.

If it were kids I was dealing with, then jumping straight to chant would be easier. But I have adults who don't read very well.
  • PaxTecum
    Start slowly. I started with setting the responsorial psalm to a Gregorian psalm tone with a made up refrain (or an existing musical setting if it works).

Gradually you add communion antiphon, introit, and offertory (I would suggest in that order).

If you can’t find a setting you like, I suggest just pointing the text yourself and use something like Meinrad Fonts or some people on here use a latex based website (the name escapes me at the moment).

I point the texts myself weekly in Microsoft word. I find that the way I like to hear the words flow is not the same as a lot of people go about pointing psalms so I have decided to do it myself.
    Thanked by 2chonak SMichaelB
  • eft94530eft94530
    FYI stumbled upon my unposted comment from NOV 2017 ..

a huge shift jumping straight from the Flor Y Canto material that they have been singing to chant and plainsong.

I concur.
    One note-reader who is cantora.
    Two non-note readers who will sing only what they already "know"
    (but sometimes pitch and rhythm does not match FYC notation).

Took eight weeks to learn Introit doxology
    and about thirty weeks to learn Missa VIII (de angelis) Gloria.

Most of the weekly hour-long rehearsal is spent chattering en espanol
    and working on R+A salmo estribillo
    and reviewing three FYC songs.

And for completeness, the abandoned task location ..

Propios En Espanol
    https://sites.google.com/view/propios-en-espanol
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • This was brilliant stuff, and I hope to leverage what you've already posted. The simple psalm tone applications of the Spanish texts is very helpful.

I primarily do English masses, but increasingly we have a lot of crossover to our masses from our Spanish parishioners. I might start to incorporate some of these at communion, in particular, as a psalm verse between the antiphon being chanted in English. Thank you!