Bi-lingual Gloria Spanish/English Needed and Hymn Suggestions
  • Help! I am in search of a Gloria that is or can easily be made bi-lingual for Spanish/English. I would prefer to use Latin. Unfortunately, we do not have enough time to teach a Latin Gloria before our upcoming Holy Days of Obligation.

Could someone please suggest commonly know Marian hymns that can be sung in Spanish/English? I am running into some hymns that I would assume everyone would know (like Hail, Holy Queen) are not as well known (with Hispanics) depending on what people were exposed to. Here again, Latin (with the exception of O Sanctissima) is a good option, but due to time constraints, other hymns would be better.
  • Santa Maria del Camino is a great Spanish hymn that OCP has an English translation for, though it is not so great (the English)
  • Kathy
    I agree: fun, well-known Marian hymn with a good Spanish text. (Haven't seen the English.)

Quiero decir que si is also excellent.

I think Fr Krisman may have translated Como estrella en claro cielo, which is wonderful.
  • eft94530eft94530
    we do not have enough time to teach a Latin Gloria before our upcoming Holy Days of Obligation.

I guess I do not understand what is the difference between
    "learn Gloria in Latin" versus "learn Gloria in English-and-Espanol"?

If you are meaning Nov 1 All Saints Todos Santos
    then you have three weekends to acquiaint people in the pews.

If you are meaning Dec 8 Immaculate Conception and/or Dec 12 Guadalupe
    then you have eight weekends.

The Missa VIII (de angelis) Gloria has fewer than ten melodic fragments to learn
    and you sing different Latin phrases to them.
  • I second "Como Estrella en Claro Cielo," though I don't think it's commonly known. Also, "Immaculate Mary" and "Del Cielo Ha Bajado" have the same melody, except with a slightly different rhythm on the refrain.

The English text for "Santa Maria del Camino" is bad. I wouldn't use it.

Honestly, I am not a fan of bilingual Masses when they're not necessary -- Thanksgiving and the Triduum are about the only days I can think of offhand where, under normal circumstances, you pretty much have to go bilingual. My experience has been that if a pastor tries to force all-bilingual Masses at other times of the year, people just meander to another parish that will have the Mass in their chosen language. To wit: at a parish I still play Spanish Mass for, the pastor insists on bilingual Christmas Masses. It's the only parish (of 8) in the city whose attendance goes DOWN at Christmas.
  • Thank you for the kind suggestions so far.
  • Gloria in Spanish and English.

See this video for an introduction to singing this particular chant tune.

Choir or Cantor/s sing the first line, congregation answers with the second, third line Choir or Cantor/s, last line Congregation.

This speeds up the learning, lets the Choir or Cantor/s set the tempo and keep it going.

Eventually, Choir or Cantor/s can intone first line then all sig the entire Gloria.

[having at least three cantors singing together dramatically improves the chance that people will sing along.]

Please, anyone using this Gloria in any language, I'd like to hear from you.

EDITED - Both Spanish and English Versions PDF below.
    Thanked by 1orgel15
  • I would suggest that it would be invaluable to purchase a copy of the GIA hymnal—Oremus Cantando—as every entry is presented in both English and Spanish. Very helpful for bilingual liturgies.
  • Marc's right, everyone should buy at least one copy for reference.

https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/oramos-cantando-we-pray-in-song-accompaniment-edition-hymnal-g6723a

Fr. Krisman's excellent work is worth having on the shelf of every Catholic musician.
  • @noel jones, aago

Thank you for Gloria suggestion. Is there another page or version with both languages? The one attached is just in Spanish.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago

Welcome to the MusicaSacra Forum!

To participate in the discussions on Catholic church music, sign in or register as a forum member, The forum is a project of the Church Music Association of America.