In depth MA paper from a list member in the Philippines
  • From another thread.

Possibly, at least for me, a MUST READ IN ITS ENTIRETY.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lqaazlrsna3k3d/Chant%20as%20Postmodern%20Religiosity.pdf?dl=0
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh Noel, this is going to prove one seriously problematic and difficult read.
    And thus it has. Nothing to say.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • Priestboi
    I'll give it a go when I have had a nice cup of coffee and a nap :)
    I would love to hear your thoughts on it Noel and possibly melo :P
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Post withdrawn
    Rosebud.
  • theusiv
    Hi melofluent,

Thank you the short insight on my MA paper. I think you are right. I has nothing to say really. It does not seek to prove anything by the way but simply just to understand why Gregorian chant musicians and those that are attached to the traditional liturgy are seen as people who have psychological problem, fanatic, and anti-Vatican II. My position does not claim that such situation is the same everywhere. My study is limited only within my country which has a different socio-cultural and religious context than the US. On the other hand, it may have nothing to say to you but for the participants of the study who experience situations of cruelty beyond the parish border, this study afforded them the means to share their struggles. Also, since I work as a director for liturgical music in my diocese and want to encourage pastors and choirs to include traditional catholic music in their repertoire, I think it is important for me to understand the social aspect why gregorian chant musicians are seen that way or what contributes to negative perception on traditional catholic music. I would like to keep in touch with you for more insights since I am expanding this study in the level of a PhD dissertation.
  • >> It does not seek to prove anything by the way but simply just to understand why Gregorian chant musicians and those that are attached to the traditional liturgy are seen as people who have psychological problem, fanatic, and anti-Vatican II.

NOW I know what this means.

• melofluentmelofluent
    Dear theusiv,
    My last comment meant that I had nothing to say, not your thesis. Your paper has much to say, and does so in various ways. As someone who has been on the receiving end of this one and particular comment, your work might benefit by the help of a good editor. Blessings to you.
  • I haven't yet finished the reading of the paper (about halfway), but found it very interesting. Your descriptions of the huge numbers attending the liturgies with Pope Francis were really interesting. I am not really fond of huge crowds, so this would have been purely penitential for me... but your description of the people passing the blessed sacrament hand-to-hand in the distribution of communion to the vast crowd was amazing. It also seemed that out in the crowd you couldn't really participate much in the Mass and the that there were many distractions. You also touched on the fact that there are so many dialects in the country that really Latin would have been more universal in some respects.

I visited the Philippines, but it was so many years ago (I hate to even say how many). I will finish up the reading... looking forward to the final conclusions, etc.