Dom Georges Mercure, Kyrie Clemens Rector, the serpent, and the saxophone.
  • Ted
    Some of you may find this interesting.

At this year's Gregorian Institute of Canada (GIC) colloquium (2017), there was a talk given by Dom Gagne of the Benedictine Abbey of St Benoit-du-Lac on Dom Georges Mercure, who at one point became the prior when it was a monastery. By 1937 Dom Mercure had developed some interesting theories on Gregorian chant rhythm which were published as a book, "Rhythmique Gregorienne" (1943). Here is a recording of the Kyrie Clemens Rector recorded there around 1935 while Dom Mercure was working out his theories, and was well done particularly the dynamics:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/obj/m2/f7/18182.mp3

This Kyrie is itself magnificent and from the 10th century at the latest, and, sadly, we hardly ever hear it sung today.

Back in 2012, there was another GIC conference in Montreal, where an interesting musical instrument was played, the serpent. It was popular for the liturgy in Quebec about 200 years ago, and would often be used when Gregorian chant was sung. Its sound I find is very similar, although deeper, to the alto saxophone. Last century, probably around the time that Dom Mercure was working out his theories, Guy de Lioncourt adapted Clemens Rector for organ and saxophone. I find the combination nice. Here is a recent pop style video of the work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsf2hvdNLHs

Tres charmant!
  • I'd like to nominate this one as a candidate for the Forum award "Most arresting post title 2017" :-)

PS - imagine my happiness to find that this is NOT a candidate for the Forum award "From the sublime to the ridiculous 2017". On the contrary this is very beautiful. thank you for sharing.
  • I thought the same thing, Mela!
  • I must say that I never have heard a saxophone sound so decently.
    Normally, the way it is usually played, it sounds downright indecent
    (as does what it usually plays!).