Tones for Readings on All Saints Day
  • doneill
    I would like to ask students to chant the readings for All Saints Day this year. The Roman Missal appendix has two tones: one for "Old Testament and Acts of the Apostles," and another for "The Epistle and the Book of Revelation." For All Saints, the first reading is taken from Revelation, and the second from 1 John. So would I use the same tone for both readings, or should I consider them first and second reading tones, considering that it's unusual for the first reading to come from Revelation?
  • First and second reading tones.
    The tone for the prophecy ('Old Testament tone') for the first reading
    The tone for the epistle for the second reading.

It's wonderful that you are doing this!
    Try repeating it at least on all solemnities.
    Thanked by 1doneill
  • doneill
    Fr. Reynolds chants the Gospel on solemnities already, so we're just catching up to him. One nice thing about having mandatory choir class is that we should have an abundance of student lectors capable of chanting the readings.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • The following is the data from the Ordo Cantus Missae 1970 / Graduale Romanum 1974:

The two tones are titled "LECTIO I" and "LECTIO II VEL UNICA ANTE EVANGELIUM" respectively. The latter tone has a note after it, "Haec lectio potest etiam cantari in tono praecedenti".

Also, appearing at the head of the section "Toni lectionum" is the note: "Praeter tonos infrascriptos, quicumque tonus lectionum in usu receptus eligi potest.