Introducing Propers AND a new Hymnal
  • stepgstepg
    Hi, I've just joined the CMAA this year. My priest is very excited for us to sing the Entrance and the Communion Propers. He is allowing us to do them in English, so he's getting the Ignatius Pew Missal. He's also getting rid of the We Celebrate Hymnal, and replacing it with the St. Michael Hymnal. Since it's obviously a lot of change very quickly for the Parish, I am wondering from all of you experienced here far more than us...how quickly would you introduce the Proper Chants? Would you have something leading up to it like announcements, etc. or just one Sunday do it all at once? I have a feeling people are not going to be happy anyway, because things like 'Gather Us In', and 'I Am the Bread of Life' are already going to disappear, and they are going to hear different hymns.
    Thank you so much in advance.
  • Kathy
    Here is my suggestion for making such a transition wisely.

http://www.chantcafe.com/2013/03/10-steps-to-gradual.html?m=1
    Thanked by 3stepg a_f_hawkins Jenny
  • Chaswjd
    I might consider doing the hymn tune propers at first. Others here have arranged the text of the propers into metrical forms. I might start in Advent using "Creator of the Stars of Night" as the tune. You can see what the reaction is and then go from there.
    Thanked by 1stepg
  • francis
    there are different ways to go about the transition to the propers.

I find one of the best ways is to introduce the communion proper first followed by communion hymn. This initially prevents eliminating any of the congregation singing.

include the antiphon in the worship aid so the people can sing-along. This is a very effective for those concerned about congregational participation.

After a time you might consider having the choir sing the entrance proper on high feast days. Advent could be an excellent opportunity. New liturgical year, new season.
    Thanked by 1stepg
  • CharlesW
    When I do entrance propers, they are preludes before the hymn. The communion proper we have always done before the choir receives communion. I play, then start the hymn when the choir has received. I have never done offertory propers since too much is going on at that time and either I am busy playing or the choir is busy singing. I have never found the offertory propers to have any real significance in the OF, and they often seem unrelated to anything that's happening. Someone will get their panties in a wad over that, I am sure.
    Thanked by 2stepg PaxMelodious
  • Proceed at each step as if it might be your last, so don't settle for what is clearly unsatisfactory.
  • It is definitely worth downloading the Society of St Gregory's Processional as it gives a complete set (at least for England) of all* the proper texts in English, including those from GS which can be used on a seasonal basis rather than having something new each week (sometimes referred to as the Common Psalms). Check the Introduction for a description of what is available, and note that is is always permissable to use Ps.33 at Communion, which suggests one possible starting point. How to use this material depends very much on how long processions take, including time spent censing the altar (if any), etc., and on the available singers. It will also depend on whether your missal and hymnal can provide suitable music.
    * other than those in the lectionary or sacramentary, of course.
    Thanked by 2stepg CHGiffen
  • Chaswjd
    Also, if your pastor is a fan, you could encourage him to incorporate a reference to the entrance in his homily. It is part of the text of the mass.
    Thanked by 1stepg
  • This requires careful thought. Of course, none of your fellow forumites know your people, what their strong and weak musical points are, especially how they accept newness of any kind, the interplay of likes and dislikes, and on and on. It is difficult to suggest a procedure without some notion of the spiritual and intellectual dispositions of a given parish.

It is a grand plus that your pastor is behind all this. He is the one who can make it work or not. I would suggest some non-patronising catechesis to prepare the way for introducing these two (two of five in a set!) propers on a specified date.

I must say that it doesn't do much for a proper introit to use it as a 'prelude' before the hymn. This disjoints it totally from the mass, of which it is an integral part - a thing which you want your people to understand. Sing a processional hymn (if necessary) and then begin the mass with its introit.

Try very hard not to assume that there will be disgruntlement. Give you people credit and allow them to step up to where you AND FATHER want them to be. Do not act as though you are introducing something bizarre that they have never heard of. Speak to them frankly as co-members of a liturgical and worshipful journey.

Before I carry on too much, I'll stop here.

(IF, IF there is a bit of negative reaction DON'T be frightened off. Stay the course, teach, and show respect without losing firm resolve.)
    Thanked by 2stepg rich_enough
  • TCJ
    We first introduced the Communion, sung before the hymn, as suggested by Francis. The next step was to sing the Entrance during Advent/Lent mainly because the congregation was more familiar with chant during those seasons. They have also taken to the Mass setting found as the default in the Pew Missal. Now we regularly sing the Entrance, but not always. Recently we have added the Offertory instead of a hymn. On feast days I prod the pastor to use incense because it allows time to do the antiphons and hymns as well. Also, we would put a brief explanation of the change in the bulletin each time.

So far, no complaints to me. My pastor may be taking them all for me.
    Thanked by 1stepg
  • chonakchonak
    A cautionary note: we've seen stories like this fairly often on the forum:

1. The pastor is gung-ho for good music and decides to change things quickly.
    2. The music director implements everything as directed.
    3. Dissatisfied parishioners fight back, complaining about music, starting whispering campaigns against the music director, withholding donations, using their positions on parish boards to sound off. Some complain to the bishop.
    4. Under financial pressure, the pastor yields and fires the music director.

As a prudent music director, you need to slow the process down and win people over, which takes time. Of course the director should immediately stop any practices that are contrary to liturgical norms, but beyond that, go gently. Make a plan to run over a few years. It might even be smart to implement the improvements at some Masses in the weekly schedule, but not others.
  • Chonak is so right -
    we have seen this happen time and time again haven't we -
    every time someone tries so hard to implement guitar music and jazz combos.

Actually, I'd prefer not to assume the worse.
    I stand by my positive approach outlined up above.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen stepg
  • francis
    my recommendation is to ease in SLOW without too much disruption to what all are used to.
    Thanked by 1stepg
  • stepgstepg
    Wow, I really appreciate all of this advice! I really thank each of you for your kind words and guidance. Please pray for me in this new endeavor, and I'll continue to pray for each of you.
    Thank you again so much. :)
  • On occasions where the pastor has provided some catechesis for the parish prior to changes, and where he also sings his part I have found these changes most readily accepted.

For example, prior to the implementation of the new missal translation in 2011, our pastor had been given the instruction from his bishop that the new ICEL missal chants were to be used exclusively as the Mass ordinary for one year. So... before the end of the liturgical year, over a series of weeks, the pastor explained what was happening, demonstrated some of the improvements in the language and accuracy of the new translation and gave fair warning about the upcoming change. At the same time, before Mass each week, I went over the new ordinary chants with the people, using prepared Mass ordinary handouts for the people... (we didn't yet use them at Mass).

This isn't really the same as your topic (implementation of the propers), but my point is that the people were well-prepared by the pastor before we made the change.

I also agree with the above posted comments about taking things very gradually... as Chonak mentions above, the sheep can attack sometimes (not only the music director, but the pastor, too), so take care and be gentle in the changes if possible.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • matthewjmatthewj
    A lot depends on how gung ho your pastor is about sacred music and how comfortable you are about getting or not getting fired.

With a pastor who is head over heels in love with sacred music, understands it, and understands that there will be complaints - the world is your oyster. He may change his mind - but the best ones don't.

If your pastor isn't 100% sold AND you are in a place where you might be okay being unemployed if it happens - you can take some risks. I went into a place once and made things happen overnight without the pastor really understanding what was going to happen. I was in a place of financial security and knew that getting fired was a serious possibility - and I was sorta okay with it (it would have made for a good anecdote for lectures and workshops, honestly). Things changed overnight. Some people left. The collection held steady (or in some cases increased if compared week to week from previous years). The pastor learned to love sacred music and treated me like a rockstar. A year later they made me the Cathedral Director.

The bottom line is that only you can make the call... do what you're comfortable with and keep in constant communication with your pastor (if that's desirable).
  • That only proves that one can't predict based on parish A what will happen at parish B; or that what good or bad did or didn't happen at parishes, C, D, and E, will or will not happen inevitably at parish F. What happened with fortunate Matthew is not guaranteed to or not to happen with someone else. His advice, though, is sterling.

The lesson here is not to have one's outlook coloured, one's anticipations to be informed, by the numerous horror stories. Likewise, don't take it for granted that the happily-ever-after stories will be repeated in one's particular place.

No two parishes are alike! Know your people, cultivate your pastor's support, and proceed accordingly. Some situations will permit relatively short incubation periods. Others will require quite a long and patient gestation. Know your people and act accordingly.

Cultivate a positive and confident demeanor and stay on the high road.
    Thanked by 2stepg CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Good points by MJO above. Furthermore you need to know the limitations of your choir, cantors and yourself. Nobody wants to hear good music executed badly. If you have limited resources musically, do simple things well.