Looking for advice on grad school programs
  • I'm currently in my senior year of undergraduate study. I'm set to graduate this Spring with a BA in an individualized major, Choral and Liturgical Composition. I'm interested in going on to grad school to get an MM. Ideally, I'd like to go to a place where I can either study composition with a sacred music concentration or vice versa. Do you know of any schools that would be a good fit for that?
  • England would be a good place to look, though I can't specify a particular institution. It is notable that England is the only place on our wondrous planet in which every (Anglican) cathedral and collegiate chapel supports a choir of men and boys, and has a resident choir school which regularly commissions new sacred music of an unparalleled calibre. Surely, to study in the universities that form these gifted men and women composers would be a great and profound boon. These are the true heirs of the Renaissance sacred music tradition.
  • music123
    Notre Dame in Indiana has an excellent sacred music program that would definitely be worth looking into. I have considered (and am still somewhat considering) doing a doctoral program there. Good luck!
  • I support MJO's advice. Yale Institute of Sacred Music here in America would be my second choice because of their huge enormous financial aid program followed by USC in southern California - Los Angeles.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sure, one could hock up a fortune to tote Skip's laundry at Thornton, or you could have studied with Frank LaRocca at Cal-State EB. Hmmmm.
  • Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. has a sacred music program which allows for study in either choral conducting, organ, or composition. Funding is not great at the school, although if there is an opening you could apply for a graduate assistantship in music and liturgy at the university's campus ministry office.