Addressing the Encounter
  • Encounters of the fifth kind (V Encuentro).
    I just need to get thoughts and ideas in written form to help me understand. I'm hoping you good folks will help clarify this initiative and share your experiences (see what I did there?).
    I am sure some of you are aware of the music promoted by VE, it's basically OCP stuff. The optimist in me says, remember, this music is rightly designated for these types of meetings. Nowhere does anyone say this music should be used at Mass. Yet, the pessimist in me adds.
    Is this the best way to reach out to the Hispanics/Latinos at the peripheries of Church and society? If you think so, why? What happens when you get them to Church and they hear Palestrina and chant? Is it being suggested that those will push them away, back to the peripheries?
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • For those Spanish-heritaged folk play Cabanilles, de Cabezon, et al. and sing Victoria, et al. Bravo and brava for those who will appreciate their true Spanish heritage and smile over it, and pity those obstinate ones who don't or won't. These latter are the Spanish equivalent of those unfortunate Anglo- and Euro-heritaged folk who detest their own heritage and prefer street music and entertainment-inspired genres. Every culture has its share of them. You can bring water to the horse but....
  • It would be a major shift in paradigm to play those composers at the beginning and end of prayer meetings, and during breaks. It would seem to require a qualified music director or musician to be the leader or overseer of the Encounter. NOT that I'm volunteering. In my experience with similar activities such as Why Catholic, the music does shape the direction of the meeting. I suppose if serious polyphony is played, yet the facilitator is friendly and inviting, treating the meeting casually and not as a solemn liturgy, then it could work.
  • the music does shape the direction of the meeting.

Indeed. Some music is suitable for a book burning, and other is suitable for the worship of God.

Thanked by 1eft94530
  • francis
    i love the snap, crackle and pop of a good Kubaya, roasting chestnuts over an open book burning.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Why does a meeting need music?
  • Why does a meeting need music?

Gives meetings a sense of accomplishment (otherwise lacking).
    Thanked by 2MichaelDickson Carol
  • To turn this agenda into the perfect meeting, simply skip items 2 and 4.

1. Musical Prelude.
    2. Announcements.
    3. Musical Interlude.
    4. Discussion and Voting on Action Items.
    5. Musical Postlude.
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab Carol