Office of Readings - Antiphons
  • Marcel
    I just discovered that on the site of Calithes (www.calithes.it) are available the antiphons for the Office of readings for Sundays and Sollemnities, with the Gregorian melodies. The site gives also the corresponding psalms with bold and italic for singing them. This office comes in addition to the antiphons for Vespers and Lauds, available on the same site.
    The attachment gives the office for the Assumption.
  • Ignorant question: What's the Office of Readings?

• Marcel
    The Office of Readings is the former night office. In the actual roman office its name became "Office of Readings", since it can be celebrated now at whatever time of the day (and night), f.ex. on the evening before a feast or Sunday. "Office of Readings", also since the emphasis is now on the readings, more than on the psalmody.
  • Ah. It's what I call Matins.

Got it.

Thanks.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    Chris, If you heard it I am sure you would not call it Matins! Imagine 9 lessons and carols sung by the local 'catholic' folk group. (purple text?)
  • Tomjaw,

Ok. It's what used to be (and hopefully will be again) called Matins, before all the psalms were cut? Is that better?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I looked at the site and I suppose it doesn't provide the chants as prescribed by the Ordo Cantus Officii (1983, 2015), but according the private initiative Laus Divina (2005).
  • Marcel
    The only difference I notice between Ordo and site is that the site gives as 3. Antiphon at Lauds Nomen tuum, which is the antiphon of Liturgia Horarum, and so a better choice; probably for not loosing the traditional antiphon In odore, proposed by the Ordo for this place, it moves then this one to 1. Vespers, where it takes the place of Exaltata est, a long antiphon for processional use, not suitable as a psalm antiphon, and so also here Calithes has a better choice. This seems fully legitimate, since the Ordo states in the introduction that the proposed antiphons are not obligatory and that Liturgia Horarum remains the basic book to refer to.