John Boe's Dissertation: "The Ordinary in English"
  • John Boe was a professor of music history at the University of Arizona for several decades, best known, perhaps, for his work on the Beneventanum troporum corpus. He wrote his doctoral dissertation at Northwestern (1969) on "The Ordinary in English: Anglican Plainsong Kyrials and Their Sources."

I believe that this dissertation is an indispensable resource for those of us who are working on adaptation of Ordinary chants to English words.
    The text fills 1266 leaves and is accompanied by a full volume of musical charts.

He compared all the available English-language adaptations of the pieces found in Winfred Douglas's Kyrial (the "St. Dunstan edition") and compared them, tracing the sources used by each adapter and comparing the techniques of adaptation employed.

His most important conclusion was that a significant number of ordinary chants, and not only the simplest, were based upon "set-forms"--a convenient label for musical phrases that undergo predictable mutations in response to changes in the length and accentuation of the text. These encompass much more than the obvious examples (psalm tones, preface tones, lesson tones). The implications of this conclusion, hardly warranting challenge, are far-reaching.

Reproductions of the three-volume work are available from ProQwest (formerly University Microfilms). It can also probably be obtained through Interlibrary loan; but anyone doing extensive work in this field will wish to own it.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I would very much like to read this!!

(but would I understand it?) :-)

Fulton Sheen said, "The less people understand, the more they are impressed."

I have found that some dissertations are very hard to understand, and have very few examples.
  • Thanks for this.

Related closely to this discussion, your PDF on "Setting English to Gregorian Psalm Tones", posted on another thread, is informative as well, especially in the examples you provide.

How would one obtain this from ProQuest? Where on their website is a good place to start, or is it better to contact them directly via e-mail?
  • To order the dissertation go to: http://disexpress.umi.com/dxweb

Boe's dissertation is very lucidly written and laden with examples. Very little that he discusses could be examined without recourse to examples. Because he wrote this before PCs were available, most of the examples are relegated to the third volume, and it is often necessary to turn from the texts in volumes 1 and 2 to the examples in volume 3. (The majority of the examples are handwritten.)

I did not find this hard to understand when I first read it twenty-five years ago, and I doubt that Jeff or Aristotle would have any problem with it.

If you are connected with an academic institution, you may be able to gain access to it at lower cost. Also, interlibrary loan is always a possibility. Tell the librarian to search for it on OCLC.
  • I've gone ahead and ordered it. I suspect that I've already stumbled onto some of the set-forms that you and he have mentioned, such as Sanctus IV and Gloria XIV. I'm looking forward to seeing the various treatments...and effecting revisions to work I've already undertaken.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Aristotle, maybe you can post 1-2 pages of the book, too!