Common Latin Hymns your congregation likes to sing.
  • Suggestions, please.
  • Common or uncommon, Walsingham likes them all.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • tomjaw
    Te Deum, Veni Creator, O salutari hostia, Tantum ergo, Salve festa dies, Puer natus in Bethlehem, Gloria laus etc.
  • In my limited experience if there is one Latin hymn that is widely (not universally) known and liked by Catholics, it would be Tantum ergo. I am often genuinely surprised at the number of folk who don't know Veni creator, Te Deum, and some others that one would expect Catholics to be born knowing.
  • donr
    Tantum Ergo, Veni Creator, O Salutaris Hostia, Salve Regina, Ave Regina Caelorum, Regina Ceali, Ave Maria, Ave Verum Corpus, Attende Domine.
  • Of the Marian antiphons, it has been my experience that most (not all, but most) people know only the Salve Regina. They are not even aware of the others, let alone sing them at their appointed seasons. I find this baffling - and unfortunate.

Once in a while one encounters a person who has quite a repertory of Latin chants. There is one lady who will often be heard singing from memory Te Deum, Veni creator, and a variety of other Latin chants in the narthex of St Basil's Chapel at Houston's UST.

The children at Walsingham's Holy House (a twice-weekly academic program for home-schooled children) know quite a repertory of Latin chant.

I just last week gave two antique Latin books (1795 and 1833) to a graduate of the Holy House program who will be studying classics at the University of Dallas this autumn.
  • And lucky children they are!
  • tomjaw
    The Veni Creator and the Vexilla Regis have 2 or 3 different texts, so causing confusion.

I would like to add all 4 Marian Anthems as we sing them after Mass as is our English Custom. We sing the Solemn versions on Feasts, so our congregations is familiar with both Solemn and simple tones.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Adoro te, Tantum ergo, O Salutaris Hostia, Ave Verum Corpus, Anima Christi, Salve Regina, Attende Domine
  • Kathy
    Adoro te, veni Creator, and the 4 sime seasonal Marian antiphons.
  • ajplafond
    Panis Angelicus, Tantum Ergo, O Salutaris Hostia, Pange Lingua, O Sanctissima, Adoro Te,
  • MatthewRoth
    Institute of Christ the King apostolates will know well the Pothier text “Tota pulchra es,” which is in the Parish Book of Chant. It isn’t too hard.
  • Beginners in chant should experience a few chants that no sentient person can fail to learn at first hearing. Jesu, dulcis memoria is my usual choice in this endeavour. And, I always teach the original Latin and a singable English translation of nearly every chant that I present. For Jesu dulcis G.M. Hopkins' translation is always well received. Adoro te is generally taught alongside Jesu dulcis. From these we graduate to chants which present greater challenges and have more musical interest - including many that are listed in above comments.
  • a_f_hawkins
    GIRM 53. The Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is a most ancient and venerable hymn ...
    Several good tunes too.