Mass from Notre Dame in Paris
  • kevinfkevinf
    KTO television in Paris regularly televises the Evening Mass on Sundays. Much of the Ordinary is sung in Latin in alternatim with the congregation. Quite lovely, plus you get to hear the great organ and the Cardinal preach, which makes no difference unless you speak French.

Link to KTO:http://www.ktotv.com/cms/videos

Go to nos emissions on the side and go to Direct a Notre Dame. They also have videos of the Novus Ordo Gregorian Chant mass which is done regularly at 10:30 every Sunday. You have to dig to find it and it is not televised every Sunday.

My solace from trite American liturgy.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I strongly recommend poking around in the "emissions" from KTO for sacred music lovers with even a modicum of French. In addition to the Masses from Notre Dame, you can find the office sung by the Fraternites de Jerusalem and various documentaries on monastic and artistic life. There was a fascinating film on the work of Andre Gouzes that I dug up recently. (And yes, there are zillions of those "talking heads in armchairs" shows so beloved of the French - remember "Apostrophes"?)

Solace indeed.
  • miacoyne
    This is the first time I watched and heard mass in French. Although I don't understand French much and maybe I'm prejudice, but the French is such a romantic language, it sounds like they are so much in love... And the latin flows in very well and accentuate their french here and there. It is very beautiful. The organ sounded also beautiful and 'charming.' I think there were only 4 people in the schola. I never thought only 4 people can make such a rich and full sound (I guess the good accoustics is a big help there.) Thanks for the post. (I'm storing the link in my 'favorite.")
  • ghmus7
    I always hear about the 'poor state of faith in France" The times I have been to Notre Dame have all been totally packed at every mass. That can't just be all tourists. it is a beautiful liturgy, especially in the alternatim aspect. I wish we could study it more in detail.