Propers for the funeral Mass of a baptized infant - Ordinary Form
  • GDuncan
    The baptized 16 month old son of two friends of mine has passed away after a tragic accident. I've been asked to assemble and direct the schola for the funeral this coming week, which will be a Mass celebrated in the Ordinary Form. From what I understand after reading the Order of Christian Funerals, the Church regards the Mass as a funeral Mass when it is celebrated according to the Ordinary Form (whereas in the Extraordinary Form the Requiem mass was not offered, opting instead for the suggested Votive Mass of the Angels). With that in mind:

What are the propers of such a Mass in the OF? Are they to be the requiem chants? The chants of the Fourth Sunday of Easter? Is there an allowance for the EF custom of chanting the propers of the Votive Mass of the Holy Angels along with its special antiphons at the beginning and end of Mass? Thank you.
  • Liam
    The Order of Christian Funerals has a long sub-section (Part II) for Funeral Rites for Children. The orations and list of readings (well, lections are in Part III, but the list for baptized children differs from the list for adults) are different than the rite for adults in Part I. Funeral Masses cannot be offered on Sundays in Eastertide; the formulary for funerals outside of Mass would have to be used.
    Thanked by 1GDuncan
  • MatthewRoth
    The Requiem chants are most certainly not used. The whole point is that the child has been saved and is in Heaven!

There are chants prescribed, but I do not have a Graduale Romanum. Sorry!
    Thanked by 1GDuncan
  • GDuncan
    I appreciate the responses so far. I'm aware of the difference in orations and readings. My question surrounds the proper antiphons. I absolutely agree of course that the use of the Requiem propers is unfitting for a child in heaven. I do have the Gradual, and the chants are not given. The only thing I've found are the Missal antiphons, not all of which have a counterpart in the Gradual or Liber, and which are for spoken Masses anyhow.
  • GDuncan
    Liam, I forgot to mention that the Mass is being offered on a Feria.
  • GerardH
    Hello GDuncan,

The chants listed in the Graduale Romanum for "Missa in exsiquiis parvuli baptizati" during Easter Time are as follows:

Introit: Venite benedicti Patris mei
    Gradual: Beata gens cuius est Dominus
    Alleluia: Laudate, pueri, Dominum
    Offertory: Intende voci orationis meae
    Communion: Omnes qui in Christo baptizati estis

My condolences to the family. It must be a very hard time indeed.
  • GDuncan
    Gerard, thank you! Of course I see it now on page 677 in my Triplex. I feel so silly that my eyes skimmed over this.
  • tomjaw
    Have been to a couple of EF 'Requiem' where we have had the Votive Mass of the Holy Angels, really beautiful... and such a wonderful contrast to the normal (EF) Requiem Mass.

The parents involved found it most consoling...
  • MatthewRoth
    A Gradual, and not a Paschal Alleluia? Strange.

Also, it’s so easy to miss chants in a Graduale. Been there too!
    Thanked by 1Joseph Mendes
  • rich_enough
    My understanding is that the Gradual would not be sung during Easter Time. The instructions in the Graduale direct that "After the first reading . . In Paschaltide, the Gradual Responsory being omitted, Alleluia is sung, as described below." For example, for feasts of saints which may or may not occur during Easter Time, both the Gradual and Alleluia are given outside of Easter Time, but the Gradual is
    not listed for Easter Time. (See, for example, the lsit of chants for May 12 on p. 561 of the 1974 Graduale.)

What is sung after the second reading (outside of Sundays, that is) is not clear.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Well, there may be no second Alleluia suggested for a second reading (although there is a list of potential second readings) but the one recommended Alleluia: Laudate, pueri, Dominum is Paschal, it's from Sabbato infra octavam paschae (Easter Saturday)
  • Andrew_Malton
    The Ordo Cantus Missae proposes four Alleluias for funerals in Paschaltide, and the rubric allows any of them ("alterutrum", but there are four):

Christus resurgens
    Oportebat
    Surrexit Christus et illuxit
    Surrexit Dominus de sepulchro
  • MatthewRoth
    If there are two readings, the Alleluias would be separated and sung as on a Sunday...