Alleluia in offertorium Mirabilis Deus.
  • Aelredus
    Hello,
    I've recently been going over the Graduale Cisterciense (Westmalle, 1934), and I've encountered offertorium Mirabilis Deus under Plurimorum Martyrum extra T.P., containing the allelúia. I've checked it, and it's also included in Hinkley's transcription of 1908 Graduale Romanum.
    I wonder, is this a mistake, or is the alleluia meant to be sung even if it's for martyrs outside eastertide?
  • sjudge
    The Alleluia is also in the 1962 Missal, so if it is a mistake, it is pretty widespread. There are also other examples of Offertory Alleluias outside Paschal Time, e.g. Jubilate Deo
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    In its common of several martyrs outside of Paschal time, the Graduale Romanum (1974) gives this as one of the offertories under the heading "Extra tempus Quadragesimae".

I wonder if in the older Graduales it was somehow known by the editors that there would never be a case in which you would be trying to sing this after Septuagesima, so they didn't see any reason to explain that you would omit the alleluia in such a case.

After all, there are more than one commons for several martyrs.

Or else, they must just have expected that after Septuagesima, it was quite obvious that you would omit the alleluia, so no need to mention if there was no alternate ending they had in mind.

But yes, there are definitely offertories with "built in" alleluias.
  • MatthewRoth
    I would assume that it is correct. Office antiphons also have “Alleluia” from time to time.
  • Aelredus
    Okay, great. Thanks guys.