Resources and input for talk on Gregorian chant
  • Heath
    I've been asked to give a talk at a retreat this summer . . . here's the description from the coordinator:

"...you could expose the reason why Gregorian Chant remains the first mean of musical expression of our Catholic Faith within the theme of "seeking beauty...finding God" (taken from Psalm 50:2 "From the perfection of beauty, God shines forth.")."

If you were to give a talk on this theme, what resources would you use for research/quotes/etc. and what topics would you make sure to hit upon?

In other words, write this talk for me, please. ; )

Thanks!

• Ratzinger's The Spirit of the Liturgy contains the clearest discussion I have ever found about the proper character of sacred music and how to discern it. I would begin there. Once you establish a firm ethos for the nature of sacred music and how to discover it, things become much more straight forward.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Next to Ratzingers's The Spirit of the Liturgy, I would recommend the following resources:

Benedict XVI, A New Song for the Lord (Crossroad Publishing Company, 1996). Especially chapters 6, 7 and 8
    Janet E Rutherford (ed.), Benedict XVI and Beauty in Sacred Music (Scepter Publishers, 2012). Especially chapter 5.
    Dom Jacques Hourlier, Reflections on the Spirituality of Gregorian Chant (Paraclete Press, 1995). Especially chapter 4.
    Elisabeth-Paule Labat, The Song that I Am (Liturgical Press, 2014). Especially chapters 6, 7 and 8.

EDIT (just browsing through my bookshelves):
    Congregation for Divine Worship, Muscia Sacra (Ignatius Press, 2010). Especially chapters 4 and 5.
  • I can second Mr van Rode's suggestions. H.F. Benedict is almost without peer in treating of the theology and spirituality of liturgical music.

I do not know Labat's book but will seek to remedy that lacuna in my knowledge.

Of Hourlier, I would only caution that, whilst his insights are often brilliant, his writing, in general, is of that species of discourse that is so fundamentally subjective that it has little more than polemical value - nice for preaching to the choir, but not for to gain converts. (I almost feel like apologising for having said this, but it really is true.)
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Kathy
    Make sure you quote the 2nd Vatican Council's liturgy Constitution on chant, as taking first place, and being a sort of template for new compositions.
    Thanked by 1Heath