Looking for Solemn Intercessions on Good Friday in Square Notes
  • I am preparing a booklet of the Latin chants for the Good Friday afternoon liturgy in the Ordinary Form. I was able to gather all of the chants, except those of the solemn intercessions. If anyone here knows where I might find the solemn intercessions in Latin and in square notation online (and, preferably in gabc markup), please let me know.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    The 1962 Missale Romanum .pdf has them HERE, but you would have to cut and paste.
    Thanked by 1balaanghuni
  • chonakchonak
    For OF Masses, the texts (without music) are here:
    http://media.musicasacra.com/books/latin_missal2002.pdf#page=192

For EF Masses, note that the prayer for the Jewish people has been revised per Pope Benedict's instruction some years ago.
    See: http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2015/nov/30/1962-prayer-conversion-jewish-people/
    Thanked by 1balaanghuni
  • Thank you for all the pointers. I forgot to mention in my original post that this is for the Ordinary Form. I've updated my original post accordingly.

I checked the 1962 Missale. The sung intentions are notated there, but the text of both the intentions and the collects differs somewhat from the Ordinary Form version.
  • chonakchonak
    It'll take a little time to make up the gabc for it, but at least you have the words (from one source) and the tones (from the other source).
  • I agree. I figured that I might as well write the gabc for the intentions as notated in the 1962 Missale (but leaving out the phrases dropped in the revised versions). As for the solemn collects, the 1962 Missale doesn't provide their notation. I could probably write the notation following the rules for chanting the collect as described in the 1974 Graduale Romanum.
  • tomjaw
    You could drop the text into this,

http://bbloomf.github.io/jgabc/readings.html

Thanked by 1balaanghuni
  • @tomjaw -- The drop-down list for the tones doesn't include tones for the Preface (which is used for the intention portion of the Solemn Intercessions) and the Collect (which is used for the solemn collects). Would you know if there's documentation somewhere about how to make custom rules? I couldn't figure out, for example, what this gabc code for the mediant in the "Lesson Ancient Tone" means:

((t[0].word&&t[0].word.length==1)||t[0].accent)?g f h.:g f 'h hr h.
  • tomjaw
    You could create a custom tone, and now playing around with it, try this

Clef= c3
    Reciting tone= h
    mediant= h g f g g. (The mediant is the ":" in the text )
    Full stop= f h h h.
    There are no questions so this can be blank
    The ending is a problem as I can not see how to write a rule easily. but this may be a good bet= g g g f g f.

You can output it to the pdf options and when you click on each note, you can we set the line it is on by changing the letter in the box.

I am sure there is a better way but I am not an expert in GABC