Attende Domine SATB
  • A blessed Lent to all here - I'm sharing my setting of "Attende Domine" in hopes of constructive feedback, thank you! I had hoped to upload an audio file, but there apparently is an 8mb size limit...(??)
  • Exquisite!
    Really fine!
    Fantastische!
  • Thank you, M. Jackson - I should've also included the question, is it sufficiently "readable" to have 4 parts in chant notation like this? Thanks....
  • kevinfkevinf
    Magnifique! It is quite beautiful.
    Sadly, at my place the verses are sung in English. But this may change that question.
    Thank you for sharing.
  • monscarmeli, it is quite readable.
    They way that you have groups of words separated helps and makes the pace obvious.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • SalieriSalieri
    The final 'Tibi' is interesting: Latin music for Russian Basses.

I'll play through this tonight.
  • Thank you, all, for your thoughts - - I myself intuitively found it readable, but it likely depends on one's familiarity with chant;
    I'm happy to share, and would be interested to know if anyone finds use for it;
    and, I know the low notes are extreme, but I'm always of the mind that if a guy can hit those notes, then go for it and support the natural harmonics....
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Perfectly readable. Delicious chords. Thank you!
  • At the risk of completely overdoing this, I realized that transposed down a M3 this could fit a men's choir (with hearty basses) - TBBB pdf attached. Here also are links to Soundcloud uploads of both the SATB and TBBB versions (Sibelius audio). Thank you again for your continued honest input.

https://soundcloud.com/user-650194262/attende-domine

https://soundcloud.com/user-650194262/attende-domine-tbbb-full
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • jefe
    Tom,
    Lovely writing. It has a certain mysticality about it.You've kept your eye on the worship ball not the whiz-bang technique ball. Good for you. I downloaded both versions and we'll get them in our Compline somehow. With all our counter tenors, we'll do the SATB version with the men, probably down a 1/2 step as music in C does not sound as well with the men as music transposed to Db or B for some reason. When we do it, I'll post a recording on here.
  • jefe,
    Thank you for your encouragement and willingness to give it a try - - I would be thrilled to hear your recording of it!
    And I truly appreciate your observation on the "worship" aspect, for a genuine contemplative affect is always a priority for me.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Gorgeous harmonized chant in the spirit of Marcel Durufle.
  • Thank you Julie - and i appreciate the "spirit of Durufle", his treatment of chant is definitely an influence (think "messe cum jubilo", etc). But, further, I think the most effective treatments of chant are likely going to be modal, sober and contemplative in nature, which is the nature of chant itself...
    Thanked by 2JulieColl jefe