Raising Scholarship Money
  • We are pretty much out of money for scholarships and we are trying to think of an innovative way to raise money. Thus was born my new book, which is an integrated collection of the columns that many have long told me need to be put into a book. I hope that we can get this on sale as soon as possible so that we can have a sense of how much help we can provide this year. See what you think about the cover. It will be 200 pages

• Kathy
    I really like the idea, Jeffrey! And am looking forward to the book.

Not so sure about the title--the sense is great but it could be catchier, I think, somehow. Is "Why Catholic Don't Sing" already taken? (Actually, titles cannot be copyrighted...)

Maybe you weren't looking for feedback on the title?
  • You don't like the title? It's the best part. ha!
  • Chrism
    I love the title...it is unabashedly triumphalist. In fact, I would say it appears to be missing an exclamation point.

Any word yet where the stops will be on the book tour?
  • Exclamation point, huh? Interesting thought...
  • miacoyne
    Two exclamation marks !! ;-)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Very nice Jeffrey. When it comes out, I will buy a bunch of copies to "pass along" to unwitting co-conspirators.
  • Kathy
    An exclamation point would indeed solve my problem.
  • CharlesW
    Just out of curiosity, is there a CMAA foundation with all the tax advantages, etc.?
  • We are a 501 c 3 with all the tax advantages for donors
  • a1437053a1437053
    Stronger title font!
  • Yes, good. and I'm going to make the blue sort of more like a sky.
  • what do you think of this?

• very nice... pre-orders?
  • No need. It should be done soon. I just finished the index this morning. You are all in here!
  • miacoyne
    Jeffrey, It's just me, but I actually like the other one better, maybe a bit thicker letters. (Since you asked. I am a picky person in certain things.)
    It seems there are too much for the front cover and the font reminds me of what is it .."NewYork Herald"? something like that. I liked that clean sky, not dark and cloudy. I don't know. it's just me.
  • Ack! no accounting for taste. I have no aesthetic sense myself. but the second one does seem more lively.
  • miacoyne
    Good news. My husband who has better artistic sense votes for the second one. (I guess I just like simple things. but not everyone.) I hear polyphony from the second picture, which we should include. Sorry I'm just confusing you. Either way, I'll definitely buy. What's inside? Is this aimed mostly for musicians or can general readers follow?
  • chonakchonak
    [this comment refers to a previous version of the design]
    The second design is nice, but I don't like the title font, which looks dead and uninteresting IMHO -- and has low readability.

I tried to attach an image, but no luck. I'll e-mail it to Jeffrey.
  • Well, what's in here is essentially the thing, the case for what we are all about, why it's important, where we fit in within the scheme of things. It is the first book to grapple with the current transitional phase we are in, pitting the sacred music case against its opponents (Glory & Praise, Prayer & Worship, community worship, multiculturalist fads, pop-populism, etc.). It deals with real life parish situations and how to navigate them, and documents the rise of a new sensibility for the sacred in music inspired by a range of forces (Summorum, changing demographics, and other factors).

There are two essays in here I'm particularly pleased with: one on the analogy between Latin Chant and Israeli Hebrew, and another one that explores at length the themes of open vs. closed source musical cultures. They are the least popular among the many topics in here, but both amount to actual contributions of an original sort.

I would think that any Catholic musician would enjoy reading it, or I hope so at least. I'm sure many readers will dismiss it at the at-length working out of a chant obsession. That's fine. It is never boring, so that's what matters from a marketing angle.

It is light and attempts to be as non-technical as possible. It does not purport to be any sort of a primer. It is more a compilation of reflections on the current state of things with a suggested path forward.
  • Got the suggested new title thing. Thank you!
  • The goal is to sell 500. Then we will be fixed up to help with some scholarships.
  • a1437053a1437053
    A stronger font it is, but I'd opt for less decorated . . . like the first, but bold.
  • Ok, see above with chonak's suggested title font change. I think we have a winner now.
  • love it...
  • chonakchonak
    Good work! You can use a similar design inside on the title page too, if you like.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I love the graphic, fantastic.

On the back cover, I'd add a little more about the intended target audience and what they can expect to find inside. From the description I didn't know if it was a textbook, music, or something else.

Of course, the cover is just a small part of how people learn about the book and want to purchase it. Just make sure that the cover is intelligible when reduced down to a 120x200 graphic, maybe even smaller. Right now, 200 pixels high is very readable, but 100 pixels high is not. 150 is right on the edge.
  • chonakchonak
    Carl made some good points. Don't be afraid to make the title/logo bigger, filling more space, and maybe even let it touch the figure.

The back cover could use:

-- A category label such as "Church Music/Essays/Criticism" (upper left).
    -- A block for the ISBN (lower right).
    -- A little bio-blurb with a thumbnail photo: e.g., "Jeffrey A. Tucker is Editor of CMAA's Sacred Music magazine. In addition, he is editorial vice president of the Ludwig von Mises Institute, a center for economics research and education. As the lead character in his own anime series on Japanese television, he is beloved by millions of teenage fans throughout Asia."
  • Kathy
    Nice. Now that will sell.
  • I surely hope so. We need to raise the money for poor nuns and seminarians and the like
  • miacoyne
    I second the idea of spreading out the title a little.
  • a1437053a1437053
    Ordered my copies and started reading the PDF! Great work!
  • CharlesW
    I just ordered my copy and am looking forward to reading it.
  • I've also ordered a copy. Where's this pdf, that I may begin reading before Lulu fulfills my order?
  • Jeffrey, thank you!
  • So I've received two kinds of messages of complaint about my new book. 1) this is an outrage to suggest that there is a fixed and true way to sing like a Catholic, 2) you have done nothing but state the incredibly obvious, hence wasting your time and everyone's time.

here is my answer to both charges
  • CharlesW
    Seems like a pretty good answer to me.
  • Upon hearing complaint No. 1, you should fix them with a steely gaze and ask them to name all the Magisterial documents they've read that address the topic of sacred music.

Everything hinges on whether people accept that the church has teaching authority. If they accept this and wish to think with the church, they're educable. If they don't, there is no way for us to discuss liturgical music because the teachings that guide us have been declared irrelevant. Without the teachings, decisions about music inevitably devolve into personal preferences--or the use of music to enforce agendas.

The only way I see to bridge the gap is conversion of hearts.
  • miacoyne
    It seems like we need sequels to this, 'Pray Like a Catholic,' 'Worship Like a Catholic,' 'Believe Like a Catholic,' etc... Many people needs to be reminded to stay as catholics these days. I believe this is a charity work for catholics who need to be reminded and "act like a catholic" in order not to fall to be another denomination, thanks to the abuse of the freedom seen in music practice in our liturgy. The reform of the second Vatican cannot be achieved without the lay people's leadership like this.
  • Has anyone told Father Z about this book's existence? Perhaps someone on the forum who knows him could make sure he is aware of it . . .
  • Excellent response, Jeffrey...
  • miacoyne
    "Everything hinges on whether people accept that the church has teaching authority. If they accept this and wish to think with the church, they're educable. If they don't, there is no way for us to discuss liturgical music because the teachings that guide us have been declared irrelevant. Without the teachings, decisions about music inevitably devolve into personal preferences--or the use of music to enforce agendas."

I agree. When I converted from a protestant to a catholic, I did so because I found the true church with the whole truths in the catholic church. But I'm a bit amazed and diappointed at the people who says that they are catholics but openly excercise 'pick-and -choose' style for their faith. If you are a protestant it won't be wrong to do so, and that's why I guess we have them. And I repect their decision to be a protestant. But catholics, are we supposed do the pick-and -chose in what we believe? Baltimore catechism clearly talks about the authority of the Church, and the true presence of Christ on the altar. You do have a choice to be a catholic or not, but you cannot be a pseudo-catholic, that is not a choice. Most of my old protestant friends are very fervant believers in what they believe. I'm very confused about what many catholics are confused about what they believe.
  • The book is on on Amazon now
  • miacoyne
    That's great. Does it make any difference to CMAA if people buy it directly from Lulu or through Amazon?
  • Well, it turns out about the same, I think. there are costs every which way you do it. lulu is amazing but expensive. Amazon is amazing but expensive. and so on. The only way to do really well in book publishing is to print them and sell them on the street.
  • miacoyne
    Ok, somehow I thought Lulu is part of CMAA (just because it's in the site.) Don't know much about this. So I'll tell my schola they can buy it in either way. Thanks