Crux Fidelis applicability
  • gregpgregp
    We are learning "Crux Fidelis", which is certainly one of the most beautiful hymns I've ever heard. The PBC has it under "Good Friday", and it's in the Graduale Romanum as part of the Adoration of the Cross, but is there any reason we couldn't sing it at other times, especially earlier in Lent?
  • Well, it’s a hymn specifically to the Cross. I’d stay away from it at least until Palm Sunday.
  • francis
    or the feast of the holy cross
  • Yes to what Francis said. My schola sang a setting of Crux fidelis last year on the feast of the exaltation of the Holy Cross. We had to sing it in English (and used the setting from the Anglican Use Gradual) because the pastor of that parish has a fear of Latin. Sad, really. But the English setting is quite nice if anyone else finds himself in the same straitjacket.

Mary
  • Chrism
    In the EF, Passiontide starts a week earlier on Passion Sunday. Yet another advantage...
  • Maureen
    It's part of Venantius Fortunatus' "Pange Lingua Gloriosa", actually. So you do sing parts of that hymn at other times. :)

http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Hymni/PangeF.html#Crux
  • Dear Maureen,

This is a different “Pange lingua” than the Aquinas hymn traditionally sung on Holy Thursday.

The Fortunatus hymn is, in the modern liturgy, prescribed only for Holy Week (Liturgy of the Hours) and Good Friday (Mass of the Presanctified).
  • francis
    JO or anyone?

Is there an organ accomp to the crux anywhere? Looked in the NOH, but can't find it (I suspect because there is no organ on GF?)
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    I just had our Freshmen at St. Gregory's sing this last Friday for the Seven Sorows of Our Lady. The propers are all Stabat Mater etc, so it fit perfectly.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Organ Accompaniment for the ENTIRE hymn "Crux Fidelis" can be downloaded for free HERE

"page 150"

I was asked to do all those accompaniments for the St. Michael Hymnal.
  • francis
    Thank you JO.