CIGARS and CHANT
  • There are a number of CMAA members who will appreciate this ad from our local cigar shop.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MepMxqDN8
  • He did mention decadence, didn't he?

(He didn't mention cancer of the mouth, though, did he!?
    Mustn't do that!
    After all, what would all those nice Virginia tobacco farmers do for a living? Poor things.)
  • CharlesW
    LOL. The sermons are probably better, too.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    If anyone wants a recommendation, the Tolkien themed "Grey Havens" pipe tobacco is rather reminiscent of incense.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • Decadence! People with Trumpette en chamades shouldn't throw stones.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Speaking of trompettes en chamade, how many here have them?

I've never encountered any over here that have the majestic pungence of real Spanish ones. For that matter I've never encountered an American trumpet by any builder that had that rich, authoritarian throatiness of French baroque trompettes. With few exceptions, American varieties of the trompette en chamade seem to prize brazen loudness over a truly rich trumpet sound that is a sonic work of art in itself.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I have a Trompette en Complain, which is what so many do, loudly. LOL.

No chamade, just a pretty loud Schantz trumpet. Skinner made the best trumpets.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Roosevelt trumpets were quite good, at least in the Aeolian-Skinner rebuild of the Roosevelt in the University of Indiana Auditorium. Alas, the organ was replaced in 1969 by a Schantz. The smaller sister Roosevelt (rebuilt by Kilgen), originally in Grace Methodist in St. Louis, but moved to First Methodist in Bedford, Indiana, sometime in the early 1950s, also had (or has?) a wonderful trumpet, and a Cornopean in the Swell that will blow your socks off, I helped, as a lad, in the installation of this organ in Bedford. Organsits Ozzie Ragatz of the I.U. faculty played a lot at I,U. but also on occasion in Bedford. I moved away from Bedford in the fall of 1954 and never heard the organ after that, although I did see it when passing through Bedford many many years later.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • St Mikes has quite a nice "Horizontal Trumpet" extending out from the balcony. It's fun to play them and watch the reaction of the congregants while you're practicing.

The sound is actually quite rich, and not overpoweringly loud to the point of unnecessary power.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • As Sigmund Freud once stated...."Some times chant -is just chant!".
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • At dinner with Guy Bovet after a recital once, he, Guy, was gleefully commenting on one of his friends who had buck teeth, whom he mimicked as having 'teeth en chamade'.

Meanwhile, back to cigars -
    perhaps we could say that Churchill (and my grandfather) sported a 'cigar en chamade'.(?)
    Cigars and chant? It's difficult to do both at the same time.