Choral Evensong at the Vatican
  • My intitial thought that this would be performed by one of the Ordinariate choirs. How fitting this would be! Still, it's a good oecumenical gesture. Merton College, yet! What a treat for Roman ears!
    Thanked by 1moderntrad
  • stulte
    King James I would surely be pleased.
  • Liam
    Perhaps his wife might have been more pleased?
  • At least they're not having a Eucharist...

Perhaps some on this side of the Tiber will take note of the beautiful music and put it to good use...
  • BenBen
    So, Venerable Brethren, it is clear why this Apostolic See has never allowed its subjects to take part in the assemblies of non-Catholics: for the union of Christians can only be promoted by promoting the return to the one true Church of Christ of those who are separated from it, for in the past they have unhappily left it. - Pius XI
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    201 x 299 - 19K
  • chonakchonak
    The most similar event in recent years was probably one in 2012, when Pope Benedict XVI and Abp. Rowan Williams both preached homilies during a service of Vespers at the monastery of San Gregorio al Celio in Rome.
  • Ben: I wonder what Pius XI thought of the Orthodox? At least today there is some degree of intercommunion there, which I have been led to believe is not new since the 1960s.