Canticle of the Passion - Engraving Request
  • RevAMG
    With St. Catherine de' Ricci's feast day here, I was hoping someone could re-engrave her text of the "Canticle of the Passion" (Canticum de Passione Domini) from the 1913 Dominican Processionarium, which I've attached below. I'm not sure of the best way to engrave it: a through-composed engraving perhaps would be too long and repetitive; perhaps the way the Processionarium has it is best. We might chant it throughout Lent this year.
  • Very cool! Is there an official English translation?
  • RevAMG
    There's no official English translation, but at least two versions that I've found online:

My friends and my neighbors from Catholic Culture
    My friends and my kinsmen from the Monastery of Mary the Queen

There are also at least two video recordings of the chant online:

Dominican Nuns, Marbury, Alabama
    Dominican Daily
  • Josh
    I decided to typeset this Canticle for the small chant group I help, but I ran out of time and had to simply print out the pdf above for our practice tonight - after our practice, I finally finished the transcription. I made use of a modern Czech-Latin Dominican Libellus Precum for indications of how to set each verse to the psalm tones, how to set the versicle, response and collect, and to provide rubrics (slightly simplified compared to those in the 1913 Processional). In a few places the clef changes, but the guide note at the end of the line doesn't move to indicate the pitch change required, which must be fixed. Here is the draft version anyhow.