Baltimore-Washington-Arlington chapter inaugural meeting
  • Kathy
    Looking forward to meeting all of you!
  • Absolutely!
  • miacoyne
    I'm happy to let you know that I just got an email from a Father in Glen Burnie, who is interested in developing sacred music. He asked for more info about CMAA, which I replied as best as I can including the website.
  • Whoops, right. Getting that care package out today
  • Kathy
    Party favors?
  • rich_enough
    Wish I was still in the DC area!

Sam Schmitt
  • miacoyne
    You are always welcome to come back here! (And Isn't USCCB here? They can hear our singing sacred music more and more.)
    Maybe I can bring some vegetable tray? (if you guys prefer something healthy ? and It's close to lunch time)
    We WILL have a good time. I'm very excited.
  • miacoyne
    Brainstorming about the meeting.

I was thinking after we introduce each other and talk about each other's schola at the meeting, maybe we can talk about what this chapter can do, or what each member wants to get out of this chapter. And how we can also support each other. Also I'd like to get some info on how many EF masses and chanted sung masses are celebrated in your county and/ or nearby counties, if possible. We can also talk about how we can reach other parishes and introduce CMAA to help to promote sacred music etc. I don't know, maybe we can think about things like that for last 5 days. Also, if anyone can volunteer to write down what we do in the meeting (I guess we can have someone to be a secretary of the chapter), it will be nice, we can report it in this forum.
  • JennyJenny
    Mia-
    I can bring some snacks as well, if you'd like.
  • miacoyne
    Mr. Page, can we? We will help you clean up ;-)
  • Excellent.
    I've been collecting everyone's agenda suggestions, including a number emailed directly to me.
    These ideas are all compatable with each other, so I think our time will be well spent.
    I'm imagining that we'll have coffee/juice and morning snacks and then go out for lunch after.
    Unfortunately, Saint Bernadette's is very poorly set up for anything resembling a real meal; however, there are many good places very nearby.
    It would be great if everyone could bring a few copies of the PBC (with ownership labeled).
  • miacoyne
    Please don't bother to plan meal or anything like that. That's too much for one person to handle. We will try to take care of everything ourselves. I appreciate you hosting this in your church. (Good, we can have some snacks. In our church, some meeting rooms are carpeted and not allowed to have any food, so I asked.) I'll bring some juice and a tray of veggies, and paper products. (and 5 copies of PBc)
  • ok, so we've sent lots of FAQs, 5 or so copies of Chants Abreges (which has been wildly popular), lots of copies of Sacred Music, some other things, but, on reflection, no CMAA brochures, which was dumb.

We probably need to cobble together some Chapter Kit. What would be most useful. I worry that you will be disappointed.
  • Everything arrived today: many thanks.
    I've printed up copies of the colloquium flyer and registration and the main CMAA information sheet and membership form.
    We'll be fine with these materials. While most of us love various nice bits of paper, the website is the true masterpiece and the truly indispensable resource.
  • AOZ
    You are all very organized! Hurrah for the Baltimore Chapter! The level of excitement is evident from all the posts on this thread...

A practical heads up for those of you who are planning on coming to the Colloquium, and for those you draw into the sacred music insanity over the weekend: register as soon as possible. There will be plenty of rooms, but after MUCH negotiation with Loyola, we were able to secure a certain number of single rooms at the lower price ($420). But beyond those rooms, the rate for single rooms goes up.
  • francis
    Give my regards to everyone in the meet! I would have loved to be a part of the chapter.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks everyone, and Jeffrey and Arlene. francis we will do.
    By the way, Daniel. Which room do we go? I know there is a small building (heard used to be a chaple?), or the main building?
  • Oh good good Daniel, so you think the package is ok? It was done hastily - like all things, it seems, these days. But good good.

We do need to think more clearly about a good Chapter Kit. Suggestions are welcome!
  • Phipps
    Hi
    Can someone send me information concerning the Baltimore Washington Arlington Chapter? I live near Frederick MD and my Church actually held a Extraordinary form Mass last Sunday. We may be trying to form a Schola and I heard that St Martin's in Gaithersburg MD is looking for people to form a Schola. My Music Director grudgingly mentioned that to me last night though she hesitated thinking I might abandon the choir.
  • miacoyne
    Sounds great. I hope you can come!

Meeting of
    CMAA Members in the
    Archdioceses of Washington and Baltimore and the
    Diocese of Arlington
    [and others, as interested]
    Saturday, February 14, 2009
    11:00 am: coffee and conversation
    lunch in the neighborhood after, as able
    Saint Bernadette Church
    70 University Boulevard, East
    Silver Spring, Maryland 20901
    Host: Dr. Daniel Bennett Page, Director of Music and Principal Organist
    [first initial][last name] [at] ubalt.edu
  • Kathy
    Live report:

A very nice group of 13!

More to come...
  • tell us how it went! please
  • Kathy
    15 now
  • chonakchonak
    Liveblogging?
  • francis
    I am homesick!
  • Kathy
    Great day! We all introduced ouselves, talked about things that are really important to us, made very promising plans (I'm sure Daniel will have plenty to say about that), sang in the acoustically brilliant church, and then some of us went out for tequila shooters. I mean, Mexican food.

So nice to meet you all, or (Jenny) see you again! Looking forward to next time.
  • miacoyne
    Wow, Kathy I didn't know you're doing live blogging.
    It was great. Get to meet 'real' people and talk. We will have our next meeting, a 'spritual one,' with the book by Dom J. Houlier, Reflections on the Spirituality of Gregorian Chant. It will be scheduled sometime during lent, Saturday morning? Daniel will send us the date.

After Easter, we will have Vespers, where we can all get together pray with our singing chants (and for someone like me it will be a learning experience.). We can invite more people who are interested in this. I hope this will be continued on a regular basis, even for every other month or every three month. It will be beautiful.
    Well, Daniel can add some more details on the meeting, such as planning something to educate people etc.
    This is great!
  • JennyJenny
    A wonderful afternoon! Thank you Daniel for providing the location and the organization. It was great to put faces to some names on the forum and to find that there really are people- right in my own back yard- who are trying and succeeding in bringing chant back to the liturgy. Thank you all. I can't wait until our next event.
  • Kathy
    Just got one photo. This was Daniel's initial introduction, which got the ball rolling.

It was most encouraging to hear the level of spiritual commitment in the room.
  • Kathy
    Hmmm. I'll try attaching the picture tomorrow from work.
  • a1437053a1437053
    Where do we get our own chapter? (Southern California)
  • miacoyne
    Sorry, I guess you are a little too far from here.
  • miacoyne
    Kathy, I'd like to confirm before you post the picture that you have only Daniel's picture not the woman who was sitting next to him?
  • Kathy
    Only in profile, Mia. You look good!
  • Phipps
    It was great to meet with like minds and shared experience. I think many drove at least and hour or more to attend. We represent little pockets of chant in a widespread area. I think many drove at least an hour or more to attend. Many from Virginia. Seeing the commitment to sacred music and the solidarity was heart warming. We are not alone.
  • What a great event! Thanks to everyone for coming. I'm always convinced that if I throw a party no one will come!
    I'm too braindead at the moment to summarize anything beyond my admiration for the musicians of our fledgling chapter.
  • Phipps
    Yikes. I am repeating myself. I better stick to the divine office and leave the commentary to my betters. Pax
  • Kathy
    Here\'s another try at posting the photo.
  • Kathy
    Huh.

Maybe I'll just email it to our illustriuous moderator.
  • miacoyne
    thanks, Kathy and Jeffrey. (Good, you cannot really see me. Daniel looks really good, very ...'authoritative,' and everyone looks very serious ;-)
    It was a good meeting, and good to have a support group nearby.
  • miacoyne
    I just posted in the other thread about the teen singing camp. It's held in St. Louis church in Clarksville in August. It also features braodway show and stuff too. I just send an email whether they would be interested in offering chant class, if they can squeeze in their schedule. We will see. It might be too late. But you never know.
    But it gave me an idea why don't we think about doing something like that all together. Maybe not this summer, I don't know it might be too soon. We can have sacred music camp for teens, of course, both vernacular and latin. We can teach them proper singing, learn to read moern and chant notation. Have them sing in liturgy, including Vespers and so on. (Myave invite St. Mary's schola) They don't have to go far, all the musicians we have here, like in our chapter, can do this together. What do you think?

I guess we should start a new thread, 5 days after the chapter meeting now.
  • Nah... just ask Kathy to modify the name?
  • Kathy
    Done, good idea!
  • miacoyne
    I see, now. I just noticed. I didn't know you can 'modify' the heading of the thread. Anyway, thanks.
  • The book on Spirituality of Gregorian Chant by Dom Jacques Hourlier is available from Paraclete Press. It's a posthumous compilation of talks he gave to a chant conference for youth in the 70s. A short and easy read, and very worthwhile.

http://www.paracletepress.com/reflections-on-the-spirituality-of-gregorian-chant.html

It also seems to be available for less from other Web based booksellers. I found several with a Google search on "Jacques Hourlier"
  • I've asked for permission to make available online. Negotiations last an entire week. Denied. I would bet any money that Musicasacra has sold more copies of its books online than Paraclete has sold of this title.

Someday publishers will surely wake up.
  • miacoyne
    Sorry to hear that Jeffrey. It's really a good book. Spirituality is so important in singing Gregorian chants.