Attende Domine lent prose english and harmony.
  • Does anyone have the music for this harmonization of Attende Domine? I have the English words, the original latin text and music, and am looking for this harmony here. Can anyone help?
    http://haus.org/richter/music/20080302_hymn_lent_prose.mp3

Thanks.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    The translation is that found in The New English Hymnal, but I'm not sure where the harmonization comes from.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • canadashcanadash
    That is beautiful!
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Here are two accompaniments I use. If you send me the English text you prefer, I'll set it up for you. (I have at least 5 other hymnals, each with different accompaniments.)
    Thanked by 2bonniebede CHGiffen
  • I've never heard this harmonised before, nor would it ever have occurred to me, but Bonniebede's version is quite lovely. Why not!
    Thanked by 2bonniebede canadash
  • Ideally what i could use is an SAT or SAB setting just for the antiphon attende Domine / hear us o lord. that is all the parts we can manage at the moment.

Attende Domine, et miserere, quia peccavimus tibi.

Hear us, O Lord, have mercy upon us: for we have sinned against thee.
  • CGM
    That setting of Attende Domine is listed several times on the website, with the following attributions:

Attende, Domine, w/ hpb fauxbourdon
    Attende, Domine with refrain harm. hpb

The ensemble is directed by David Stevens, but occasionally indicates Howard Burkett as substitute conductor, including on two of the four times when this setting of Attende, Domine was sung. I'd wager that Howard Burkett is the "hpb" indicated in the listing (the initials match); attached is a transcription indicating thus.
  • SalieriSalieri
    My choir read through this at our weekly rehearsal this morning. It is beautiful and very singable. (Most of my choir either don't read music or read music only a little: we went through each part once and then launched into it unaccompanied with very few mistakes. We'll definitely be doing it this Lent!)
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • LenaH
    Same here, Salieri!
    Thanked by 1bonniebede