• KyleM18
    I'm currently at my breaking point with the Choir program at my school that I'm currently developing. The director is playing ping pong while leaving me and one other student to create the choir. Both the teacher and the other student are unwilling to force the students to commit, as well as have a firm belief that there must be an inborn talent in order to achieve good music, which they feel nobody at the school possesses. The current music played is Spirit and Song style music. I have been trying to change it to hymns and the Simple Gradual, with a hope to eventually reach the level of Palestrina. I have been opposed by both them and the Campus Ministry director, despite having the blessing of our Bishop. I have quoted GIRM, Sing to the Lord, and many other papal documents. The response I get is that the Pope/Cardinals/CDW/Bishops/Scholars do not get a say in the music because they don't know us and because some people disagree with them. They say that all this stuff is not actually to be followed, and that we will do what the 5% of kids at the school who actually like to go to Mass want (P&W because that is all they have been exposed to).

I've used up all my options. What is my last resort supposed to be? I personally want to just transfer schools (I am a constant target for verbal and physical harassment as a result of the above), but my parents aren't keen. What other options do I have? Thank you in advance.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Kyle -

Your zeal for the faith and for the Church's own paradigm for worship are admirable and inspiring to all. Don't give up. From what you say just above it sounds as though you are in the midst of those the likes of whom our Lord counseled his disciples to depart from whilst shaking the dust from their feet. This environment, as you describe it, in which you are existing is a psychological, spiritual, and intellectual drain. For your own mental and spiritual health you need a change.

This is a matter of deep spiritual yearning for you. A change of schools would seem to be long overdue. Others here would likely have a better list of orthodox Catholic schools than I. I know that some of the youth from Walsingham have gone to the Thomas Aquinas University in California. Somehow you need to get your parents behind you, supporting you, not wanting to see you wasted in such a poor intellectual and spiritual environment.

By all means, stay active on this forum and you will receive all the support that we can offer.

God bless you and give you strength!
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • KyleM18
    MJO: I should have specified HIGH SCHOOL. Sorry. Surprisingly, the public schools are actually closer to what the Church wants (academics and environment) than the Catholic Schools... I should mention that half the teachers actually make fun of Catholics AT A CATHOLIC SCHOOL! Oh well...
  • So it's high school is it.
    I suppose that limits your options.
    You might do better at some Episcopal or Lutheran schools.
    Have you thought of gaining an audience with your bishop and telling him about the environment at your school? This is an unholy outrage.
    On the other hand, from what I've heard about some bishops, this might be like walking into the lion's den.
  • Realistically, what could the bishop do about it? Sacking half the staff ain't an option, because's likely not a queue of qualified people wanting to fill the jobs.

You cannot force your fellow students to commit to anything. You can invite them. But not force. (The same thing applies in choirs, by the way: unless it's a professional choir, everyone's a volunteer and does what they want to do, which may well be less than what you want.)

Do you have any interest from any other students? If not, then I think you're wasting your time: you would be better finding a parish which has a choir doing the material you want, and joining that (hhhmmm .. if you're allowed - some may not be open to minors).

How much longer will you be at this school for, if you don't change?
  • CharlesW
    From what you say, this sounds like a toxic environment for you. Some things and some places you can't change, but you can put a lot of wear and tear on yourself trying. Look for something better.
  • I had an experience like that. After increasing abuse we decided to move both myself and my sister to different schools.

Keep praying. The Holy Spirit is surely working in you. Don't give up.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Kyle, what comes to mind is first a question: is the school choir also an academic pursuit (even if co-curricular), or for liturgical need only? The point being if the former status is in play then the faculty/admin advisors are in error. S&S/PW music simply isn't really "choral music." Sure, any aggregate bunch of singers can be dubbed a "choir," but it remains thoroughly ignorant of true choral literature. That absence is an affront to education and the true meaning of choir, not to mention its absence from the Mass. You'll need more than one "other student," but a few more can do great work, not only in chant but also poly/homo-phony. Perhaps you and some other enlightened, dedicated student peers could work independently and then audition your way into the Mass rotation of music. Don't necessarily think in an "It's all or nothing if not classical" mentality. A successful rendering of "Salve Regina" or a Heath Morber English motet amidst a PW might provide just the contrast needed to further expand the artistic horizons.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I used to skip school when we went to Mass as a high school (about twice per year). Amidst the chaos of 1000+ teenagers making their way into the church and back, somehow I never got cited for being absent while others did. Part of me wants to believe this was because God understood why I was doing this... and most of my complaints were not JUST about the music (which was truly horrifying) but also about the horrifyingly irreverent things that were happening around the altar.
  • KyleM18
    The (sorta)problem with me skipping is that I'm the pianist (god forbid we get a portable organ). I've gotten in trouble from the powers that be for playing "For all the saints" on All saints day during a bishop's mass, despite the bishop himself asking for and loving it. I'm a cantor at our Cathedral, which is just starting a music program for the first time since Vatican II..

Yes, it is also an academic pursuit, but the academic part comes from a bunch of students with no commitment. I had a couple, but they left once it became obvious that I wasn't going to win. The closest we got to "classical" was the Ave Maria everybody knows (no, not the chant). If I don't change schools, I'll be there for another year and a half.
  • music123
    I am a bit confused. What, precisely, is your position? If you are not actually in charge there is only so much you can do.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • canadashcanadash
    If I were you I'd just relieve myself of anything to do with the music at this school. It just does not seem like the fight is one you can win. As a mother of boys just your age, they would not want to deal with this nonsense in their senior years.

Sing at the Cathedral. Do what you can outside of school in improve your music skills in any areas that interest you. Skip the masses if you can, and if you can't, go and pray as best you can.

If you have friends at this school and can enjoy your last years, stay. If not find somewhere better to be, though this will be difficult without your parents' support.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Firstly, If the BISHOP requests a hymn, and you get in trouble for doing WHAT THE BISHOP ASKS then there is a BIIIIIIIIIG problem here. (Incidentally, I don't know what diocese this is, but if your Bishop wants real music, then you're pretty lucky.)

Secondly, If your possibilities of graduating High School are not dependent upon credit earned while accompanying the 'choir', then I'd just say, quit the HS choir and get more involved in the Cathedral music.

Also, why are students being put in charge of an academic program while the teacher skips out? Wouldn't that be dereliction of duties and ground for termination, anyway? Frankly, this guy just sounds like a jerk. Incidentally, when I was in High School I was asked to act as accompanist because the music-teacher was not a pianist (the Middle School music teacher--both H.S. and M.S. in the same building--was the accompanist, but she had just been transferred to the Elementary school to take the place of the retired E.S. teacher); all I had to do was accompany, and with the exception of the odd sectional where he'd take the S.A. and I'd take the T.B. for a few minutes, he was always there (unless we had a substitute teacher, then, of course, he wasn't).
  • music123
    I guess you are a student. What year are you in? This sounds like a very sticky situation. Can you go back to just being the accompanist, and say that you no longer want to be in charge? Or drop out of the choir entirely? Salieri is right in that it makes no sense that the director is delegating his job to students.

You can still learn much, even if it is less than an ideal situation. I know no one here is a fan of Spirit of Song, and I am not much of one either, but you can still learn something from playing that style of music. It is very handy to be able to improvise in whatever style. And perhaps you could gather a close friends to be the schola for some chant occasionally?

The fact is that people have different musical opinions, and to have any kind of longevity as a church musician these days, we have to be able to negotiate different opinions and different styles of music to some degree. So, bizarre as this situation seems to have gotten, it really can be good practice for what you may encounter later in life if you are interested in pursuing church music.

Many blessings and I hope things get better soon.
  • KyleM18
    Saleri: I believe I said above that the school believes that neither the Pope, nor the Cardinals, nor the CDW, nor the Bishop's conference, nor any Bishop or priest is allowed to make rules about what is played at mass, because "they don't know anything." Admittedly, I had written/arranged music for our Baccalaureate Mass (Which happens to fall on the Solemnity of the Ascension), but it was shot down because it "required the organ and not a P&W band"...

To clarify, I am a student in 11th Grade. The choir director has me accompany and direct the practices while he plays ping pong with his friends. I am also "in charge" of choosing the song lists for Mass, and work alongside another student for the Concert part. The other student mostly agrees with the director that music cannot be taught, which I know is not true.

I've also been blackmailed quite often with "you won't graduate/walk", expulsion, and the normal stuff. IDK if that means that I'm dependent on the Choir or not...
  • CharlesW
    Shake the dust from your sandals and run to the nearest exit. How have you been able to put up with all this?
  • What would be the consequences if you just quit? Tell them you have other things that require your time now. Or is this part of your school schedule? If it is, just show up, do what you're told and stop trying to interject anything, even though you know better. Treat it as "just a job" and put your energies into other things. You are not going to change the minds of those who oppose you, so stop trying. Yes, shake the dust off your feet and move on.

Are you planning on going to college? Look ahead to that.
  • canadashcanadash
    I've also been blackmailed quite often with "you won't graduate/walk", expulsion, and the normal stuff. IDK if that means that I'm dependent on the Choir or not...

What the hey? Can they do that? Don't you just need x number of credits to graduate? For example, if you are on the basketball team and refuse to carry the water for the team and wipe the sweat off of the floors, would the admin not let you graduate?

If you are taking this "choir" class for credit, then sing and THAT'S IT. Done. It's a choir class not an accompaniment class or a directing class. Honestly, I would just drop the credit. Do you really need it to graduate? Get a note from your doctor saying you have tendonitis or laryngitis.

How sad. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this nonsense.
  • Kyle,

Cardinal Burke says that he's not concerned about keeping or losing his cardinalatial office because next to what he will face on Judgment Day if he betrays Our Lord, the displeasure of the world is naught.

Keep that in mind. If you're stuck, do your job, your Christian duty. If someone hates you because you want to do what the Church asks, you're going to be punished vindictively at some point, so you would do well to hold your head aright and keep a Scripture verse in mind: blessed are you if they persecute you for righteousness' sake.

Otherwise, you're going to twist yourself in knots, trying to find a way to survive in this environment, and losing your peace of soul.
  • SalieriSalieri
    To clarify, I am a student in 11th Grade. The choir director has me accompany and direct the practices while he plays ping pong with his friends. I am also "in charge" of choosing the song lists for Mass, and work alongside another student for the Concert part. The other student mostly agrees with the director that music cannot be taught, which I know is not true.

Questions:

1) Are the practices during the school day, and is choir considered a class (for credit)?

2) And is the Choir Director then supposed to be the teacher of said class?

3) Is he getting paid for all of the work you're doing while he's goofing off on the clock?
    Thanked by 2canadash KyleM18
  • melofluentmelofluent
    There's a fair amount of dubia in this account I fear.
  • KyleM18
    Practices are during the school day and after school. Yes, the director is the teacher and is paid for my work, supposedly he is going to retire after I'm gone so he doesn't have to do any work...

canadash: I need X number of credits to graduate, but many things can stop me from graduating.

Thank you all for your help.
  • You are a kid who has been trusted by the teacher and given a chance to learn the skills involved in leading students in a music program.

To clarify, I am a student in 11th Grade. The choir director has me accompany and direct the practices while he plays ping pong with his friends. I am also "in charge" of choosing the song lists for Mass, and work alongside another student for the Concert part.

Instead of valuing this experience, you are continually working against him and the school itself to get your own way without the benefit of a qualifying degree or experience as a musical professional in a Catholic academic environment.

Their threats are not to "punish" you but to attempt to help guide you.

I'm with your parents.
  • Reval
    Kyle,
    Is the principal at all involved in all this? It's starting to sound pretty weird (but I know school can be like that)! Are there counselors / other admin staff who can help you extricate yourself as needed from all this?
    Sadly, I would give up hope of trying to "convert" these folks to a better way. Just get out before it hurts your grades, sanity, etc. I appreciate what you are trying to do, though. Yesterday the bishop came to Mass at my daughter's high school, and apparently that necessitates conga drums. It kills me that all those high school kids will think that is normal,
    and to be desired.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • KyleM18
    Then let me ask, what am I supposed to do? I directed a choir for a couple years after the director took a break, so I have some experience. Let me give a scenario of what happened recently: Our baccaureate Mass is on the Solemnity of the Ascension. My song list was written for an ensemble of a String quintet, a brass trio, bells, timpani, and flutes, alongside STB Choir and Organ. It included:

Christus Vincit
    A Hymn of Glory Let Us Sing
    Corpus Christi Mass (Proulx) or Mass of Creation (Haugen)
    Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise
    I Am the Bread of Life
    This is the Feast of Victory
    Go Make of All Disciples

The list I recieved back was for piano, guitar, electric bass, and drum set.

Come, now is the time to worship
    Mass of St. Ann with Mass of Renewal
    In Christ Alone
    Pan de Vida
    Sacred Silence
    With one Voice

I've played this list for the past two years as pianist and do not feel it matches the mood. I looked in the new Spirit and Song book for some compromises, which were rejected as well. I was also told that I should essentially go to hell for even trying to do good liturgical music, as nobody likes it anymore (I'm already a big target of bullying). What am I to do in this circumstance? I've worked with directors who have done stuff like this to a music program and made it work, so I don't understand what is so different, I guess.
  • One of the really nice things about our forum is the 'thanks' option.
    We also need a 'not thanks' option so that I can use it for my good friend Noel's comment just above. (Sorry, Noel.)

You are being had.
    You are being deliberately targeted for abuse because of your feelings and gifts.
    You are being heartlessly subjected to a non-education by people whom one can hardly believe are being paid as educators. They are intellectual cretins.

Do as CharlesW suggests, get your parents behind you and your sanity, and change schools as fast as you can.

Your bishop should know about the callous intellectual and spiritual climate in one of his schools and how you are being treated. He may be one of the few who would care. It would be a piteous judgment upon the Church if he isn't.

• melofluentmelofluent
    I know this forum like the back of my hand.
    I also taught secondary MS/HS choral for two decades.
    The further this chronology gets strung out the more dubious it becomes.
    I know it isn't necessary for anyone to "de-cloak" their online identity, but, there's a fair amount of credibility that needs to be established and confirmed. If not, I don't suggest any further investment here.
  • KyleM18
    No, I'm not trolling this forum or whatever you think I'm doing. I'm actually at a school where the choir is in shambles. Come over to [school name redacted by admin] sometime. You'll be disappointed.

Oh, and yes, St. Anne's Latin Mass Choir sang at our school two years ago, if anyone was there. That was before our teacher lost his stride. We haven't had fresh talent since.

Of course, maybe they are making me think I have more power than I have, that much could be true. I did, however pick the music for our All Saint's Day Mass, which the Bishop loved and everybody hated.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The point is: I'm not sure what you're looking for.
    The breadth of concerns you've expressed far surpass those of any other 11th grade student I've ever encountered. The callous behavior of your "teacher" is beyond the pale of any public/parochial, credentialed (presumably) professional that I've known my entire academic life.
    Provided you are as accomplished a student as you've portrayed, it seems to me that you would have figured out the best course of action for yourself and others. But you've advanced that you've been painted into a corner. In any case, you're much smarter than someone who would allow the misfortune you've outlined to continue. If your parents have paid serious coin (as RC parochial parents do) for your secondary education, they and a likely bunch of others ought to have brought forth legal action against the school and administration.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    All I can say is that it sounds to me like you have absolutely no chance of success in this situation as it is currently constituted. I recommend you redirect your efforts and stop playing Sisyphus. It cannot be good for you, and these folks do not sound like they are listening with open minds and open hearts. Don't waste your time, young Kyle.

If I were you, I'd stop participating in this musical-liturgical travesty. You're a high school student, and you're not obliged to put yourself through this punishment.
  • KyleM18
    I'd decided to do that a few hours ago, thank you! I just wanted to get some more advice.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    And meloCharles is right--if your parents are paying serious money for you to attend this school, then they should be up in arms about this so-called choral director stealing money from them while not providing anything in the way of education or training.
  • KyleM18
    Actually have a scholarship... its the only reason why I didn't transfer last year.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • chonakchonak
    It's good that you have an involvement at the cathedral, so you can put your energies there, and perhaps also bring along a few fellow students.

Try not to have hard feelings about the people who want their P&W music: they don't know any better, and they've been led by their pastors to think that it's the best thing the Church has going for it.

Incidentally, if you were hired to direct music at a parish that had been using P&W songs, most of us would tell you not to make drastic changes. People can't be blamed for what they like and what they are used to hearing. A sharp turn in the music program would leave people feeling deprived; it would generate complaints and get you fired. We've read that story on the forum quite a few times!
  • SalieriSalieri
    This is not so much a musicoliturgical problem as an academic one. There is no excuse for what this person is doing (or not doing, as the case may be): the Superintendent of Schools (or its Diocesan equivalent) needs to be informed. This is a problem that needs to be dealt with immediately, not just for you, but for the school and the Diocese. Supposing something happened during class while he, the only adult, was supposed to be there?--there is potential for lawsuits here.

I don't like to say this, but I have been around schools, teachers, and school-board members my whole life, and none of them would have tolerated this man's behavior, he should be terminated immediately (and, frankly, I think he's only getting away with it because it's a Catholic(?) school that thinks itself above the law).
  • Charles,(Melo)

Some kinds of toxic situations (I've encountered) really do sound more like story-book trolling than reality. That's the saddest part of the situation with Kyle: I can believe that such a wretched situation exists, because I have experienced (from a different perspective, that of an adult) close versions (plural) of what he is describing.
  • chonakchonak
    I've edited out the school name, since it's not fair to identify a private individual and discuss his work performance in public, especially without his knowledge.
  • canadashcanadash
    I'll pray for you and your situation. I can't imagine how frustrated you are. God bless.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks Chris, I do respect and encourage young Kyle and all such devoted, diligent souls to persevere through obstacles. I'm sure for every dolt who fakes his/her way through being a Catholic parochial school teacher, there are five seriously gifted teachers such as Jessica Ligon at Lincoln's cathedral.
  • CharlesW
    If this teacher is near retirement, I could understand him just trying to get his time in so he can leave. I know from experience how teaching can lead to total burnout. However, abdicating responsibilities as a teacher is never good. It also opens the doors to lawsuits. What if one of those unsupervised kids finds a new way to hurt himself. They can often have a seeming gift for that sort of thing. Kyle, I still say either leave or find a way to cut back on your responsibilities.
  • ...I could understand...

I couldn't!

I think that Charles is being awfully generous.

A real educator, teacher, professor will be as dedicated and inspiring on his or her last day as on his first. Education is for those who love their youth and love educating them. They are like artists, who, be they musicians, poets, or architects, or whatever, live, breathe, and sleep the vocation with which God has blessed them.
    This vocation is their life.

Those who bide their time to retirement should, should true justice be done, lose their pensions - because they are a disgrace to their profession, don't deserve them, and haven't earned them.

But, that's not the 'real world', is it.
    Within every walk of life, in and out of holy orders, can be found such sorry souls.
    Thanked by 2canadash CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Jackson, many go into teaching with noble ideals, but the system grinds them into the dirt. It is not the profession it once was, sad to say. Now, you fill out forms, teach to tests, and collect data. I know the year I retired, 5 other teachers left with me. Most said they couldn't take it anymore. I had reached retirement age anyway, so it was time. However, I am one of those who took great delight in staying one step ahead of the administration, and keeping them on edge. The students saw through it and loved it. I must have done something right because many of those students regularly call me, drop into the choir loft on Sundays, and talk with me about their lives, continuing education, and life goals. But I was always on their side, and they knew it.
  • Chaswjd
    Kyle:
    You are not going to win via a frontal attack. Citing the liturgy documents is not going to do it either. If you want to win any battles, it will have to be by jujitsu. Determine what they value and use it to achieve your goals. Show how what you want is consistent with what they want. E.g when the bishop comes you can sell a hymn by saying the equivalent of "You know what an old fuddy-duddy the old bishop is - let's throw him a bone by singing 'X'." Of if they like 1970's music and you want to do a proper, use a setting of the proper psalm they like. You win (a bit) and haven't alienated anyone. Then the next year you can say, "Well last year we did 'X' . . . ". If they think of you as the opposition, you lose. If you are on the same team, you can win.

Two more points. First, the very nature of living in a fallen world is the what should be and what is are two different things. Second, turning an ocean liner around is a long slow process. If you can achieve a few degrees, you have achieved something.
  • Chaswjd,

The problem with your approach is that it is intentionally cloak-and-dagger. I don't think Kyle should go on a frontal attack either, but you're proposing merely to make the opposition angry -- and I don't think that's a fitting approach for a student to take.

• Not such good advice!
    Remove yourself from this situation.
    Don't play games if you value your integrity.
    There is that old saying -
    'if you play in it you will get it on you.'
    Keep clean.
    Don't play.
  • Liturgical change is absolutely cloak-and-dagger. It's like giving shots to a child, and I don't mean that in a demeaning way. Liturgical change causes intense anxiety, fear, pain, defensiveness, etc. in all of us. You will never find it otherwise. Distraction, discretion and patience are the name of the game. And this is not dishonest; if I trust you with music, of course I assume that you will choose what you think is best, within the parameters I've given you.

The name of the game is: Pick the most small, painless, but important thing you can get away with changing (e.g. a simple chanted introit after "Come, Now Is The Time To Worship"... *shudder*), maintain that change till it's normal, and for heaven's sake don't change anything else till the sting wears off or you'll get a vicious backlash and be worse off than when you started.

Anyway, this alleged Kyle sounds like he's got better things to do, and so would I. Introducing sacred music takes more patience than most people have, and the extra variables he's described sound totally miserable.

But after quitting, I'd also advise going to the authorities, except I'm not sure how they would help. All they can do is fire people, but I don't know how the culture can change unless they actually have decent leaders on hand to replace them.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    All, most of the advice you are giving Kyle is totally inappropriate for his situation. On his second post he stated that he is in 11th grade. i.e. a junior in high school. He shouldn't be teaching the other students. He is a minor. His parents need to take this up with the principal.
  • chonakchonak
    One option to consider is to treat these events as a job:to play for the event and accept whatever they pick, but only if you're paid.
  • Chaswjd
    I agree that the best thing to do would be to quit. But many find themselves in situations where, for whatever reason, that is not possible. Perhaps my answer sounded rather Machiavellian. But the "tactic" comes down to trying to find common ground with those who disagree with you.

For the situation described, appealing to authority is simply not going to work. The people Kyle disagrees with do not, for whatever reason, respect authority. If he digs in with, "But the GIRM says . . ." they won't change. But if he goes in with something like, "I know that the congregation really likes singing Creator of the Stars at Night during Advent. But I thought it might be boring to sing the same words each week, so I found these texts which might work." Now they are singing the hymn tune introits.
  • Chas,

"Finding common ground with those who disagree with you" assumes equals. He's a student.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • I've been following this thread for a while now, but have been hesitant to post. I do feel for Kyle, as I was recently in a very similar situation. From what I understand, those that have authority over him are not permitting him to do what he feels (and knows) is right. This is not an uncommon situation, especially in the Novus Ordo for music directors. My first piece of advice would be to stay calm. Getting worked up won't do you any good. The second piece of advice isn't going to be popular: you are a student, not a professional, so you aren't (as CGZ mentioned above) an equal, so therefore you don't have equal authority to argue and discuss your views. Those who have authority over you must be obeyed. My third piece of advice is this: if they don't like your work, you should not be doing it. This doesn't mean that you are doing a poor job: just that they are looking for something else. I made that mistake once: in a previous situation, I thought that the push back from authority meant that I wasn't doing my job properly. Deep down, I knew that was furthest from the truth. The easiest thing to do would be just to tell your teacher you don't want to do the job any longer. This would be the most diplomatic way of recusing yourself from a situation where you are being asked to do something you don't want to do. The others on this thread are correct that you will not be able to convince your superiors to change their minds about what they want to see from you.

Just to recap, because from the diatribe above it might not seem how simple my response actually is:

1. Stay calm

2. Recuse yourself from the position: just tell your teacher you don't want to do the job anymore. If you are asked to give a reason, just restate that you don't desire the position any longer. That's it, don't get into the liturgical regulations, etc.

3. Pray the Rosary daily. (Full disclosure: I say this to everyone no matter what)

4. When the opportunity arises, shake the dust from your sandals and move on to greener pastures.