2 Lenten Hymns in the Works
  • Hello, I am Liam McDonough, organist at St. Mary's Cathedral in Galveston, TX. I have recently written two Lenten hymns to original texts, and am hoping for criticism--of text and composition, particularly. Scathing comments are welcome here or to liampmcdonough@gmail.com. Are they saccharine? Inappropriate? Suitable? Thanks for the input!
  • These are really nice.
    No 'scathing comments' from here.

I think that the Qui homo tune is the better of the two, but they are both nice.
    I do, though, find some of your harmonic progressions very questionable - especially in the Ostende crucem tune.

I think that many will want to use your work.

(I haven't been to Galveston in years.
    Do you ever get up to Houston?
    Have you ever been to Walsingham?)
    Thanked by 1liampmcdonough
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Mr. McDonough,
    I'm sure these will find repertoire "homes" in CMAA-guided parishes. Perhaps what MJO alludes to in the "Ostende..." are the voicings of presumptive secondary dominants, specifically implied III7-ii. In both instances the root (E) isn't quoted, and the seventh is doubled in the latter. Another interesting moment is the "double" suspension in the penultimate measure, with parallel motion of fourths in the tritone V7.
    The only alteration I'd advocate alleviates the very low tessitura of the basses. Perhaps just doubling the bass line (as a baritone doubling) would provide relief.
    Thanked by 1liampmcdonough
  • KyleM18
    Agreed with the fact that they would find good homes in parishes that use the CMAA music. I prefer the Qui homo as well. I must say that it is nice to see new hymn tunes with the texts, as it seems that too often new hymn texts are paired with common tunes that do not quite fit.
    My only complaint would be the notation software. Some text is blocked by the notes, a few words seem to be missing, etc. It's easily fixed by re-transcribing it. Idk if I'm the only one who is bothered, but its minor.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Some text is blocked by the notes, a few words seem to be missing, [...] Idk if I'm the only one who is bothered, but its minor.

It's not all that minor, since it's hard to sing without the words.

On a quick readthrough of both tunes, I can say they are quite nice. I will dig more deeply tonight.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • Thanks for the comments. I will do some tinkering; people may use as is if they wish.

(an aside to MJO: I have been to Walsingham a few times. I spent a summer in the organ loft there as a technician with C. Bobsin. My former organ teacher Edmund Murray plays there now)