What do you do after Midnight Mass? Frivolous post.
  • canadashcanadash
    As a mother of children 7 - 17, we haven't developed a tradition from year to year when it comes to Christmas celebrations. My children all wish to attend the Midnight Mass; a first for us. I know when they get home they will need some time to settle down and they will be hungry.

Do you have a meal ready for you when you get home? A snack?

We will have to be up and at it again in the morning, so I don't want to spend a lot of time preparing when I get home and no one will be home to help when we are away. Thanks for any ideas. Anything that makes Christmas less stressful is most welcome.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    When I was growing up, we went to Midnight Mass every year. My Aunt, who was not Catholic, would come over and put out all the presents from Santa. When we got home, we got to open and play with presents, then everyone slept late on Christmas day.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • LU 395: Finita prima Missa dicuntur Laudes, incipiendo immediate a V. Déus in adjutórium.

At our house, we have a tradition of baking a few thousand cookies, which of course aren't eaten until it is Christmas; once we come home from Midnight Mass, I believe they are fair game.

Usually, at 2 in the morning, we seem to mill about decorating the house, eating, talking, and doing other random things for a bit, until the excitement wears off, after which we all eventually go to bed.

If this is the case again this year, I will probably broadcast through the house the recording of Christmas Lauds which will be posted at Dominus regnavit.
  • Sleeping so that I can rise for the Dawn Mass. Sometimes in the church itself.
  • Liam
    When I was growing up, children were forbidden to attend Midnight Mass in area parishes....
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • BenBen
    I've occasionally done an early Christmas breakfast with friends at dennys, but other than that, go sleep.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • matthewjmatthewj
    In Canada one would have meat pie and then go to bed.

I haven't done that for a few years though... maybe I should bring it back. Or maybe just sleep.
  • cmb
    Our old family tradition is sandwiches, cinnamon rolls and festive beverages.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Yes, the meat pie. Friend of mine just sent me a recipe which takes 24 hours to make. If I'm going to do that I'm going to need the speed recipe...
  • MarkS
    When my daughters were young, but old enough to come to the Midnight service to hear Dad play and watch him wave his arms in that strange way, we had cocoa with a peppermint stick and a cookie before I tucked them in. That was just enough.

I was (am) a single Dad, so it was just me and the girls. Wonderful memories. Thanks for bringing them back!

And then of course, wrap the presents and get them under the tree—hoping to get everything ready before it was time to head out for the first Christmas Day service.
  • Tamales and hot chocolate or it's not Christmas here. Then off to bed.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • My call is 10 pm and that is after a 60-minute commute...
    I will probably be too tired by the end of mass to eat. With kids, it might be a good idea to put a stew or a lasagna in the oven (something that takes a good amount of time) so that there is a good, concrete meal waiting for you and your family when you get home.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Toast and Marmite and a cup of tea were all obligatory when I arrived home from Midnight Mass as an Episcopalian boy.
    Thanked by 3canadash CHGiffen MarkS
  • I sit down to a rich coffee, a glass of Benedictine (or Drambuie when I have it), and savour chocolates, thankfully nurturing memories while observing the candles and lights and meditating on the import of midnight mass, all to the accompaniment of English choral music. I will retire with psalmody, prayer, and a hymn.

In youth, we went quietly home from St Alban's, quietly to bed, and with quiet excitement greeted the morn by giving thanks for Jesus' birth, gayly opening what presents Santa Claus and our parents had put under the tree, and our far flung relatives had sent in big exciting boxes through the mail in preceding weeks - helped along with en-joying chocolates, cookies, fruit cake (my favourite), and such.
  • CharlesW
    I get 4 hours of sleep and then get back up for the morning masses. I usually sleep most of the afternoon.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Show me the way to go home
    I'm tired an' I wanna go to bed.
    I hadda little dram aboot an hour ago
    And it's gone right to my head.
    Wherever you shall roam,
    Be land or sea or foam......"

Shark bursts through galley hold, all drift off to screaming, tamale and meatpie flotsam ever'where.....
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • francis
    (frivolous answer)

it all ends
    with a big piece by Bach (sometimes Koerber)
    and then I retires
    with a beer and a Scotch!
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    A bite of something substantial and a treat and hot chocolate or tea has been the tradition for the last few years. After the Easter Vigil, I like to "incense the temple of the Holy Spirit" as a priest I know says, which is to say, smoke a pipe, but it's too cold after Midnight Mass. I also enjoy singing carols over-loudly on the ride home, and just talking with family briefly before heading to bed. One of the many wonderful parts of Christmas.
    Thanked by 2mmeladirectress Ben
  • ...pipe...

I tried smoking a pipe for a while a long, long time ago. Of all styles of 'smoking' the pipe is the most scholarly, civilised, aromatic, and well tasting. But! It is SO much trouble. I stayed with it only for several years, nor can I remember which of Dunhill's many blends was my favourite. I give thanks daily that I escaped cancer from all the smoking that I used to do.
  • BruceL
    I'm always so amped up that I have a bourbon and hope I'll settle down in time to get some sleep! Thankfully we don't have the Mass at Dawn, so I get a few more hours. Nice to have that when you have kids that otherwise wouldn't see you at all on Christmas...until you collapse on a couch c. 1PM!
  • Reval
    I stuff the stockings, while watching the Vatican TV broadcast, while simultaneously consuming a festive beverage, and possibly cookies. Procrastination often catches up with me, and I may still have a present or two that needs wrapping.
  • francis
    ...pipe...

Virginia No 1 by McBarren
    Thanked by 2BruceL Vilyanor
  • CharlesW
    Can we be certain it's tobacco in those pipes? ;-)
    Thanked by 2bhcordova Vilyanor
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    If you're near the East San Francisco Bay you can join me at Pacific Mall's Daimo (El Cerrito Central Ave exit off 80), which accepts reservations for 2:00 AM and has excellent Hong Kong style dishes.
    Thanked by 3canadash Jahaza cmb
  • in growing up years we'd always open one gift on Christmas Eve;
    the family always attended the Midnight Mass (both parents in Choir)
    afterwards children straight to bed, I have memories of so many years drifting off to sleep to the sound of rustle of gift wrap...
    the parents of course would be dealing with Minimal Assembly Required until all hours.

these days? I come home, have a little Christmas cheer, sing quietly* and go to bed

* The moon shines bright, and the stars give a light
    A little before it is day
    Our Lord, our God He calleth on us
    and bids us to wake and pray.
    Awake, O awake, ye people all
    Awake and ye shall hear
    Our Lord, our God was born on this day
    To us, whom He loved so dear.
    The moon shines bright...

Thanked by 2canadash Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    ...pipe...

Virginia No 1 by McBarren

You're almost there. As St. James said, "Virginia without Perique is dead".
  • veromaryveromary
    All our younger kids seem to fall asleep a lot for Mass and the drive home. We avoided Midnight for some years until the year we had a bubba who didn't like car trips > 20 minutes so had to do the local parish which had FSSP Latin Mass at Midnight or regular parish extravaganza 8.30am. It was fantastic - they all slept on the padded kneelers pretty much the whole way through - Silent Night! Even when we got home they were still sleepy.

If we're going well we'll get out the Baby Jesus. Burning down the last of the Advent candles is always fun.

This year hoping the sleepy miracle works - two kids serving two Masses, one kid as my backup cantor, with a babe in arms. Happy Christmas!
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • From a priest friend of mine... with a few points emphasized by me...

I often hear from parents that the Midnight Mass is too late for the children. It is somehow remarkable, since it is indeed the middle of the night and indeed I cannot argue with that. I could jokingly pretend that is not too late but too early! 

But arguing is not my thing. I would like, dear parents, to convince you of the necessity of preserving the "charm and magic of Christmas" to your children. They will never really learn their faith just in a catechism books... the real teacher is the liturgy.... the faith in action. 

Can I tell you how much memories I have from Christmas night?  I remember this picture of me, little Olivier,  soundly sleeping in my cassock with my head resting against the blasting organ... I just had the privilege to carry the baby Jesus to the Nativity Scene... 

And each Christmas night was expected with great impatience. It was the one night where we were allowed to stay up that late (after the due nap I suppose).

Please, on behalf of your children, let me make a plea:  do not take that away from them. Come and bring them to the Midnight Mass ...  at Midnight.
  • francis
    I can second that one, CG-Z...

I was in the soprano section of our boy choir for 5 years. I will ALWAYS remember and cherish my involvement in that endeavor from 3rd - 8th grade.
  • I, for one, would have felt cheated had I not got to attend Midnight Mass. Not only was it a great honour and treat to get to stay up that late - but what one got to stay up that late for was an experience beyond price. Modern parents are really cheating their children because they themselves don't wish to be bothered.
  • Liam
    While I've assisted at several midnight Easter Vigils, I have never once done so for Christmas. I don't feel in the least bit deprived.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • No such thing as midnight Mass where I'm living. Apparently the stench of alcohol and the general behaviour was so bad that no one wanted it any more.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • francis
    No such thing as midnight Mass where I'm living. Apparently the stench of alcohol and the general behaviour was so bad that no one wanted it any more.
    wrong building
  • a_f_hawkins
    Apparently the stench of alcohol and the general behaviour was so bad that no one wanted it any more
    I know this is a problem in some places, I have certainly seen people in a rather confused state, but not unruly, in a neighbouring larger parish. Made worse by the true observation by the pastor there "Since this is a Catholic church, if you want a seat at the back, come early." We get nearly three times as many in the congregation at Christmas as an average Sunday, good thing we have four Masses instead of two. The 6pm Vigil Mass is billed as "with children", but I suspect it also attracts adults who want to spend the evening drinking and the morning sleeping it off.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Liam
    "Since this is a Catholic church, if you want a seat at the back, come early."

Of course. For Catholics (at least cradle Catholics of a few generations; converts are a different story), the front pews are the penalty boxes. Duh.
  • Traditionally after midnight mass our family opens one gift each.
  • ...one gift each...

I once had a friend whose family (he, his wife, two daughters and a son) opened one gift each every day from Christmas to Epiphany.
    Of particular interest, they were a very devout Anglo-Catholic family - he was an engineer of some sort who worked for NASA and was involved in developing the space suits that went to the moon.
    (They eventually crossed the Tiber.)
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    Opened one gift each every day from Christmas to Epiphany.

I have quite a few friends who do this. It is a great way to keep Christmas alive for the whole season. Many of the gifts are very small, so it's not as overwhelming as it seems.
  • veromaryveromary
    If we did one gift each for the 8 of us that's 96 gifts! Cool!!!
    Thanked by 2CharlesW canadash
  • Liam
    Canadesh

Do any of them have their children move the Magi figures through rooms of the house until reaching the Babe on Twelfth Night?
  • Liam
    In my family, the Christmas tree and creche didn't go up until the young children had gone to bed. My parents spent most of the night decorating and wrapping gifts, taking my mother's mother to Midnight Mass, and crashing around 4AM for a 2 hour nap before ringing a bell on the tree for each child, in reverse age order once past toddlerhood: they spent special time with the youngest alone. The sensory overload (including the smell of bacon, the only time of the year we'd have it - for breakfast after the Dawn Mass) allowed them to be frugal with loot.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • canadashcanadash
    Do any of them have their children move the Magi figures through rooms of the house until reaching the Babe on Twelfth Night?

Absolutely! Some make quite the affair of it...with the Magi getting in trouble here and there.
  • Liam
    Magi delayed with an OUI....
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist