Priests from Africa and Asia and other countries working in the US.
  • I find it unfortunate to hear people saying that they have stopped going to Mass because they cannot understand the priest.

In many diocese, US priests are sent to crash courses in Spanish.

Why, oh why, do American bishops do not have crash courses for foreign priests in English diction?
  • I was a journalism major in college, and one thing I learned from a linguist in the course of reporting a story (about TAs that students claimed they couldn't understand) is that the longer you hear someone, the easier it is to understand them, even if they have a thick accent. In my experience, this has shown to be true. It's true that it's a good idea to give them diction lessons, but it's also true that the PiPs need to give it time.
  • In my experience there are places on this globe where the English spoken is far more literate and, as diction goes, far more pleasurable and precise, than what too often passes for English in this land by educated or uneducated alike. This is particularly true of Indians and a goodly number of Africans. Not only is their speech a greater pleasure to the ear, very often what they have to say is of greater interest, more desirable - and often with a gorgeously academic syntax.

• bhcordovabhcordova
    We have several priests from India in our diocese. Yes, it is difficult to understand them at first, but after a few weeks, it becomes easier. I haven't heard of anyone in our diocese not going to Mass because they couldn't understand the priest.
  • chonakchonak
    Noel, I believe the term for this sort of course is "accent reduction".
  • CharlesW
    I once went to an African priest for confession. I understood two things, "I absolve you" and "Amen." The rest I assume God understood. ;-)
  • Accent Reduction...I like that. I've been very impressed with all these priests that I have worked with, too, MJO.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Reval
    They all now worship Cod at my former parish, led by the very erudite priest from the Indian subcontinent.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • a_f_hawkins
    Some west African dialects of English seem to suppress final consonants, this can make them very difficult for us to follow. The problem of diction can be overcome just as Jes recently reported of a singer. Incidentally, I was once asked by an exasperated railway booking clerk in India "Are you speaking English?", and I have spent less than 24 weeks out of the British Isles in 78+ years.
  • Accents are wonderful. The more accentuous, the more wonderful. 'Accent reduction', which I've not heard of before, seems a cruelty to me. The way we speak is a part of who we are. One of my greatest recent disappointments was when I called the Imperial Japanese Consulate one day to discover where I might find CD's of noh drama and other Japanese classical music, which I hold in high regard. In a cheery state of mind in anticipation of this cultural adventure, I expected to hear that colourful and uniquely civilised Japanese accent answer the 'phone. What I got was the, obviously learned, soulless accent of an American businessman, with a more perfectly soulless delivery than the American businessman himself. To make matters worse, this smart functionary didn't even know what noh drama was! I will never again call the Imperial Japanese Consulate. People, from wherever they come, should sound like who they are and where they come from - even American southerners and Texans, though these latter might ought to be somewhat embarrassed about it.

On the other hand, the pride of any non-French French speaker is that he has learned flawlessly to speak Parisian French. For most languages, though, there is not such a standard of similarly high register. In fact, the French (to their credit) may be the only ones to take such pride in their exquisite tongue.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • [tempted sorely to say something about Parisian French..... but passing the opportunity by....]
  • Um, no doubt, Chris, this 'something' would be somewhat 'colourful'?

Who was that mediaeval scholar who said of the singing of the various nations and tribes that the Germans sounded like barking dogs, and the French like grunting hogs? The English, by all accounts (particularly their choir boys), were, on the other hand, said to have sounded like angels.
  • There's an expression: "Chantez la Marseillaise a la Bretonne.....
  • Chris -
    I have never,
    nor will I ever,
    chantez la Marseillaise.... 'al la Bretonne',
    ou d'une toute autre maniere!
    Vive le roi!
  • chonakchonak
    I found a Scottish friend often completely incomprehensible, so I wonder if he might benefit from accent reduction training. Either that or I'll have to go for Scottish accent acquisition training to meet him in the middle. These days, he teaches in Italy, and I can only wonder whether he might be more understandable in that language than in English.
  • ...accent acquisition training...

Hear, hear!

I'd rather ask your Scots friend half a dozen times (if he would be so indulgent!) what he said than for him not to speak as he speaketh. Thusly would I gain - and thusly he would not lose.
  • Liam
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Cod

With the Holy Mackerel for good measure...
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I worked with an African priest once that people complained was difficult to understand during the homily.... however they never (or rarely) complained about the rest of the Mass because he sang it all. When he sang somehow the words came through quite clear.

I also had no problems with his homilies - I just had to actively listen.

Also I don't believe for a second that people are staying home from Mass because they can't understand the priest. If they truly believed in the Real Presence, in mortal sin and the Sunday obligation they would be going to Mass if it was only available in Swahili in a tent with no air conditioning.