Requiem mass ordinaries
  • I've been asked by a family to plan a OF Requiem Mass and they want as much chant as possible. i was thinking of using the Gregorian Missal for the Propers and the Liber Cantualis for the Ordinaries.

What setting for the ordinaries would be most appropriate?
    thanks in advance
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    darth,

i am not sure that the Greg Missal would not also be good for the ordinary

Also, you might find this page interesting & possibly helpful
  • GavinGavin
    Why not use the traditional Requiem ordinary? Or else, I might suggest something simple like Mass XVI.
  • the pbc has everything (ordinaries - i mean p. 86) you need, doesn't it?
  • WJA
    If you want to use the GM for propers and ordinary, use the propers at p. 688 and the ordinary beginning at p. 132 (use the option B for the Kyrie).

IIRC, the ordinary in the GM is identical to that in the Graduale Romanum 1974 and the GR 1961, with the exception that the the Agnus Dei in the GR 1961 says "dona eis requiem/dona eis requiem sempiternam" instead of "miserere nobis/dona nobis pacem" in the GR 1974/GM.

WJA
  • @Gavin - I don't what the traditional Req. ordinary is (blush). the LC doesn't have Mass XVI either :(

@Janet - I don't have the PBC either (blush again) :(

@WJA - I like this suggestion - everything in one book, but it doesn't specify which Credo to use that fits the other ordinaries on page 132/133 - suggestions?

@Jeff - I'll check that suggestion out later today - thanks for making the recommendation.
  • It's not clear from the question whether this is a funeral, or a requiem without the body present. Last time I sang a Novus Ordo funeral, I was shocked to learn from the priest that the sprinkling of the casket takes the place of the penitential rite, so there was no Kyrie. Still, it wouldn't hurt to learn the requiem Kyrie noted by WJA.

Normally, I don't believe the Credo is sung at Requiems.
  • darth... starting on p. 57 in the Liber Cantualis gives Introit, Kyrie, Offertory, Communion, In Paradisum/Chorus Angelorum and Ego Sum... In the Gregorian Missal, you'll find more options starting on p. 688. The Sanctus and Agnus Dei XVIII are in the Gregorian Missal starting on p. 132, although the ending for the Agnus Dei should change from Dona nobis pacem to Dona eis requiem sempiternam (the melody is the same up to the last syllable of requiem -- then for semp (fa)-i- (la) ter (la-sol) nam (sol) ) for a funeral... you could probably find it all in the online liber usualis... but this may be quicker for you.
  • GavinGavin
    Apologies, Darth! It's Mass XVIII.
  • @David - I will ask about the body, I'm not sure.

@janet, thank you, i penciled in the changes to my LC